Thread: 3D printer. Yey!!!!83 days old

Thumbs Up
    Received: 312
    Given: 120
    Total Downloaded
    1.51 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default 3D printer. Yey!!!!

A dear friend of mine has just ordered a 3D printer for me, because I was admiring his, but couldn't justify buying one now. :-( They have really come up in quality over the past few years, and I couldn't believe some of the things he's made with it.

I have so many ideas to do and all related to microcontrollers and moving parts and machines etc... I can't wait to get it. :-)

Has anyone else on here got a 3D printer? If so... What do you think of it, and what have you created with it?
    For more example programs for Proton and Proton24 or updates, please visit: Proton WIKI or Proton Files

Thumbs Up
    Received: 86
    Given: 23
    Total Downloaded
    4.04 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: 3D printer. Yey!!!!

Les,

Right now I am printing a large print. The print will be a sunshade for my Nvidia tablet which I use to fly the drone with. Unfortunately, I did not find a sunshade for my tablet as size is different from other, more frequently used tablets. So had to print my own.

Having said that, I printed the first sunshade with PLA. PLA is not so much heat resistant and when I left my drone in the car under scorching sun, the sunshade I printed warped badly.

Now I am printing another one using PTEG, which is very much stronger than PLA. I also learned that there is PLA+, which should be more heat resistant than normal PLA.

As for designing, I am using Fusion 360. I knew nothing about 3D design, but Google is my best friend in these situation and man, just wow. Never ever thought I would design something in 3D.

Fusion 360 is free for I think 3 or 5 years if you subscribe as a student, which everyone do.

Enjoying more designing, as I admire, (as I do for you Les), how much effort and knowledge was put in that software.

I had a rear view camera which had to be installed on the rear number plate screws. However, the bracket I had was going to cover the number plate light, so designed a bracket / box to be installed on a side. Turned out fantastic.

Printed also a dozen of PCB boxes. One in particular had 3 LED's, left them a bit long on their lead, two tactile switches. The tactile switches are pressed with a `rod like' in the box. Super fantastic. This was done for a friend of mine and he was so pleased with the result. It also have an input for an RC type socket. Did some flanges I the design so when this socket is inserted, it is made sure to go straight. for the small `rods' and this box I had to print with 0.1mm rather that 0.2mm. It takes more time but needed to because small parts where not turning out as they should, with regards to size. I can send you the file just to see it if you want to. Finished those days where if I do not find an enclosure box the right size, I will have to stick with wat I found. Also, finished those days where I happen to drill for sockets in enclosure boxes and make a mess out of it.

What slicer software are you going to use? I use Simplify 3D. Great slicer software. You can print with different resolutions at various height within same print.

One thing to consider is that 3D printing is slow. For example the sunshade I printed took about 24 hours to print, however I opted for slow speed printing as I was using PETG. I will send you some photos when ready. Please check your PM.
    Regards

Joseph

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    4.04 GB

0 Not allowed!

There was another software from Autocad. Autocad 123D. All you had was objects such as triangles, squares spheres etc. and you merged, fix sizes etc. It was a free version, but Autocad decided to stop it. Instead they now have Tinkercad, much same as 123D but I thinkit is online based. I still have copies of Autocad 123D, although you can find them to download for free, as it was a free software.

Than there is the Autocad ReCap. Basically you take several photos of an object and then those photos are turned into a 3D model. Never used it, but saw some videos of it and it is awesome.
    Regards

Joseph

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.51 GB

0 Not allowed!

I can't wait until it arrives, as I have so many ideas :-)

I did 3D design a few years ago when I designed the Amicus18 board and its documentation, so it is not a stranger to me, but it will be fantastic bringing the 3D CAD to reality.

Many thanks for your explanation of the software and the different plastics available, but for affordability, I will be using the recycled PLA as much as I can. I may even build a PLA recycler unit so I can make my own filament from milk cartons etc, as it is quite expensive. :-(
    For more example programs for Proton and Proton24 or updates, please visit: Proton WIKI or Proton Files

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    4.04 GB

0 Not allowed!

If you succeed in PLA recycling I will buy PLA from you
    Regards

Joseph

Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 2
    Total Downloaded
    1.08 GB

0 Not allowed!

No 3D printer, but I have a CNC mill that I recently upgraded to four axis. I'm slow learner and have only recently started to do useful work on it.
    Flosi Guğmundsson
    Reykjavík

Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 7
    Total Downloaded
    456.72 MB

0 Not allowed!

Hi Les,
    I have 4 of them but only one completely working. Long story how I came to have them so not going into that. Some have electrical issues and some mechanical and one worked fine but had software issues.
    Like Joe, I tried Simplify3D which was not cheap but I am glad that I did, everything in one package and it can run with all 4 printers so now giving me the inspiration to get the others working especially the Delta.
    At the moment I am only printing test pieces and little frogs for my sisters garden fish pond.
    Regards PLA being expensive, I would have to disagree there. I had a quick look and here https://technologyoutlet.co.uk/produ...=1823843713042 it is £20/kg, depending on the size of your print it may only use 50g so £1. One of the test blocks (20mm cube) only weighed 4 grams so 8p. There is a lot of air in most of what you print as what appears solid is like a honeycomb internally.
    I would not try to save money on the filament as quality can vary and could actually work out dearer with failed prints.

Bob

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    4.04 GB

0 Not allowed!

Couldn't agree more Bob. Depends on what I am printing I select the correct infill in Simplify3D. I use 3DPrima filament. Superb prints all the time. and if it still available, they had an offer that if you spent EUR100 + they will give you free shipping to EU.

As Bob said, with 1Kg of filament I printed many, many prints. In fact I have an horrendous green colour that I cannot get rid off

Yesterday I printed for the first time with PETG and am very pleased with final result.

But for my RC hobby and electronics 3D printing is a must now a days.

What I like for future is a small PCB milling machine, not that I need one but looking forward for one.
    Regards

Joseph

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.51 GB

0 Not allowed!

£20 per 1Kg is way too expensive for me.

I have found 1.75mm filament for a lot less money:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1kg-2-2lb....c100505.m3226

I had to sell my CNC machine last year to cover a bill :-( , but if you do get one, you will enjoy it tremendously. Here's one that looks interesting, and its price is good, so you can explore the wonder of making PCBs yourself:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CNC-Route...53.m2749.l2649
    Last edited by Les; 24th September 2018 at 09:50.

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    4.04 GB

0 Not allowed!

11. That is super cheap Les. Thanks for the info re CNC machine.
    Regards

Joseph

Thread Information