Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Malware on this website?489 days old

Thumbs Up
    Received: 87
    Given: 34
    Total Downloaded
    4.53 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: Got a stopbadware.org warning this morning.

I've been deleting all the RSS feed posts that I can find. Think I've got them all.
    I've been trying to delete PCB Fabrication Service in the WIKI. electronic supplies/USA/PCB Fabrication Services but can't do it. I don't think I have permission. It has a link to PCB Fabrication that brings up an alert from Bit Defender specifying Malware.

Re the Archives. I think if they are a source of problems that we should abandon the section and put up with the loss.
    John

Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 43
    Given: 4
    Total Downloaded
    1.60 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: Malware on this website?

I will look at deleting he PCB links section

I will probably turn off the archives.
    Lester Wilson
    ---------------------------------
    Crownhill Associates Limited
    www.crownhill.co.uk
    Tel: +44 1353 749990
    Fax: +44 1353 749991
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------

• Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.60 GB

0 Not allowed!

electronic supplies/USA/PCB Fabrication Services - is no longer !

John I think you should have been able to delete it, remember that you have to delete every entry individually before you can delete a section
    Lester Wilson
    www.crownhill.co.uk
    [email protected]

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.60 GB

0 Not allowed!

BOTH Archives are now no longer available.
    Lester Wilson
    www.crownhill.co.uk
    [email protected]

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    4.53 GB

0 Not allowed!

There are a couple of other areas I'll work on as time permits.
    Thanks for the deletion of the PCB fabrication and your work in general on the site.
    I'm no whizz at this stuff but perseverance helps. So far I haven't broken anything (I hope).
    John

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.60 GB

0 Not allowed!

NO, nothing broken

I have removed *a lot* of functionality that was not being used, which in turn removes a lot of scripts. They probably were not causing any issues, but the site is lighter without them.
    Lester Wilson
    www.crownhill.co.uk
    [email protected]

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 181
    Total Downloaded
    5.15 GB

0 Not allowed!

Lester, if you are asking for votes in post #86, I vote 4. Surley the best move going forward.

One question re. Goggle (I can remember not that many years ago the tech reporter on the radio saying that there was a new search engine to compete with Yahoo, and look at them now) if the site was made read only and subsequently a site which it linked to was decleared bad, would the read only site be declared bad?

BTW no dire warning today.
    George.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.60 GB

0 Not allowed!

If the site is Read Only and there is Password access , then Google will now trawl it and it will eventually cease to exist as far as google is concerned.

Ironically if we had the resources to go the route of (4) then we have the resources to manage and clean this existing site.

(4) is quite a project - do we have some users that want to build a new forum and manage it???
    Lester Wilson
    www.crownhill.co.uk
    [email protected]

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    4.53 GB

0 Not allowed!

I would if I could Lester, but frankly the brain isn't what it used to be so it's too steep a learning curve to design and run a forum. I'm only 2 years off 80.
    I will however do what I can for the current site (or any replacement).
    John

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.60 GB

0 Not allowed!

John, you do a great job, I appreciate your assistance. I really cant see this site changing very much.
    Lester Wilson
    www.crownhill.co.uk
    [email protected]

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1
    Total Downloaded
    663.68 MB

0 Not allowed!

Lightbulb Re: Got a stopbadware.org warning this morning.

Lester, I go for option (4) (from your option-list in #86).

But isn't it easier to turn all weblinks into normal text (maybe with another -blue- color)?
    Then Google have no problem anymore with blacklisted sites.
    So a link will be like this: www.picbasic.nl you see it, but you can't click it.
    If users want to go to that site, they have to copy and paste the link in i.e. Google.

Eventually you can leave the links to the Proton site itself intact.

In my opinion, finding and converting the links to plain, blue text is easy and fast to do for the entire site.

Frizie.
    Ohm sweet Ohm: www.picbasic.nl

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.60 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: Got a stopbadware.org warning this morning.

In my opinion, finding and converting the links to plain, blue text is easy and fast to do for the entire site.
    Not so sure its that easy. I'd have to craft an SQL query to convert all external links to text.

What makes you think its an easy task - have i missed something?

Incidentally i already set rel="nofollow" anchor tags for an external resource outputted from the URL BB Code.
    Lester Wilson
    www.crownhill.co.uk
    [email protected]

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 0
    Total Downloaded
    1.38 GB

0 Not allowed!

Hello
    It may be good to put in a banner that you should not use direct links only text links, as far as I know this problem has happened only a few times, so its not the big game changer just a annoyance.

Many Thanks
    Gary

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 7
    Total Downloaded
    3.72 GB

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Lester View Post
    The way I see it is one of four options:

1) we carry on as we are and clean up as google complains
    2) users start trawling the site to identify bad links and files so that we can remove them - this brute force solution should work, we have hundreds of active users, if all started trawling the site, we should be able to keep it clean
    3) we have some co-ordinated work by a small group of users that make the whole site google friendly.
    4) we close this site and make it read only, with access only to registered users _ not google. Start a fresh site, which is google friendly and managed by a group of users ( moderators with web management experience )

Note that I did ask for some assistance months back, to clean up the archive and move files from the archive to the user files area. I had not a single volunteer. The archive is now closed and you have no access to it. Parts of this site have been turned off more recently to appease google, because i don't have time to check and clean all the files / links. If I continue to operate in that manor, the site will loose functionality over time. I guess you can live without the archive. But what if i end up closing the files area?? or preventing users posting links??
    I may be wrong as I know little about running forums and PHP (if that is what they still use) but...
    a) I would think that item 1 would also require item 2 as without knowing precisely what link is causing the problem they would all need checking as the only alternative is to keep shutting down parts of the site one at a time until either there is little of it left or Google stops complaining in which case the last section closed probably contains the bad link(s) which may at least narrow the search.
    b) Although there are hundreds of users to implement item 2 how many actually have the time and inclination to help, as with 113 thousand posts to go through it would be a lengthy, daunting and seemingly impossible task for a handful to do with what little free time they may have to devote to it - seems like it could take years.
    Perhaps a script or exe could be written to automatically locate and break links by de-linking them and say removing www. and/or inserting an underscore 2 characters after www. so that Google cannot recognise it i.e. go_ogle.com.
    c) In regard to option 3, what does Google friendly entail?
    d) May be the simplest solution if there are enough people that can do it.

Personally, I am not sure items 1 or 2 are practical with a forum/site of this size. I am no expert but have had a little experience of running a small website and being a moderator on a small forum so I may be able to contribute in some way to items 3 or 4.
    I did not volunteer to help clean the archive as I was not clear on what it involved, from the information to hand I did not think I would have the necessary skills to do it and it just seemed such a monumental task I did not feel I had enough free time to devote to it and make a significant contribution to warrant getting involved. I was probably not alone in that hence the lack of volunteers, unfortunately the same situation may go for the above.

I was a member of a forum which did not allow active links to be posted, you had to make them non active by say omitting www. replacing . with DOT or some other method of breaking up the URL (active internal links to other forum post was allowed), perhaps going forward this should be implemented, at least until a better solution is found.

• Attention

Thread Information