Thread: Malware on this website?495 days old

Thumbs Up
    Received: 43
    Given: 4
    Total Downloaded
    1.60 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: Malware on this website?

John, in the CMS management console, there are literally thousands of entries where the Author is RSS_POSTER. These have all been deleted in the database, but still appear indexed in the CMS

All entries where the Author is RSS_POSTER can be deleted safely.
    Lester Wilson
    ---------------------------------
    Crownhill Associates Limited
    www.crownhill.co.uk
    Tel: +44 1353 749990
    Fax: +44 1353 749991
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------

Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 71
    Given: 29
    Total Downloaded
    6.17 GB

0 Not allowed!

Thanks Lester. Will continue when I have some spare time.
    Regards

Joseph

• Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 54
    Total Downloaded
    2.16 GB

0 Not allowed!

Thanks guys! ESPECIALLY LESTER!
    Sorry that ended up being so complicated and frustrating. All your hard work is really appreciated.

-Rick

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 181
    Total Downloaded
    5.15 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Got a stopbadware.org warning this morning.

Got a stopbadware.org warning this morning.
    George.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 35
    Total Downloaded
    192.60 MB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: Got a stopbadware.org warning this morning.

Yep. Red light is on.

I think it is time now for New Moon / Pale Moon browser!

Henk.
    Last edited by Henk57; 22nd August 2018 at 11:17. Reason: addition

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 181
    Total Downloaded
    5.15 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: Got a stopbadware.org warning this morning.

You can turn this off in firefox unfortunatley it's global not per site. Down the bottom of Privacy and Security under Phishing
    George.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 9
    Total Downloaded
    435.91 MB

0 Not allowed!

And again......
    To be OLD and WISE you must first have to be YOUNG and STUPID!

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.60 GB

0 Not allowed!

And again......
    yes pe1pme again, frustrating isn't it???

This time, googles engine located a link that it decided was unsafe.

The site www.protonbasic.co.uk contains harmful content, including pages that:

Send visitors to harmful websites
    The link in question was NOT posted by us, was Not part of our web site and as far as i can see was a link posted by a user - an old user that no longer visits. The link pointed to a web url that was no longer valid.

Google decides what to do and I have no control over it.

If you locate a link that points to no where, or if you see a link that has nothing to do with Proton Basic, report it to me , so that i can delete it / remove the post / thread.

More help and support from the users of this site will help keep google happy. The alternative is that each time google trawls the site and finds something that does not meet its criteria, you will see the warning message.

To be honest, based on what i have seen, you better get used to seeing that message. This site is VERY old and VERY large, there are many posts that link to external sites, some of which are still valid, some are not and some link to sites that were 'OK' at the time the link was posted but are not 'OK' now. Each time the google engine sees something its not happy with, you will see that message.

The answer is to clean this site up and make the system more google friendly. I don't have the time / resource or motivation to do this right now.
    Lester Wilson
    www.crownhill.co.uk
    [email protected]

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 89
    Given: 34
    Total Downloaded
    4.60 GB

0 Not allowed!

Users: If you spot something as per Lester's message send me a PM and I'll clean it up. Lester has a business to run and I'm retired (although not in my wife's opinion).
    John

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.60 GB

0 Not allowed!

Googles notice to me regarding the last warning issued yesterday and removed yesterday

Malware
    These pages directed users to a site that serves malware. Unfortunately, the malicious code within the page could not be isolated.
    Note that google identifies that some "pages" - its actually posts on the forum - link to sites that serve malware., However when i follow the link its to a blank page?? properly blank like does not exist or is null, determined by looking at the html response.

Google goes on
    Unfortunately, the malicious code within the page could not be isolated.
    I suggest that its probably because its no longer there.

It seems to me that once google identifies a site as having carried malware, it black lists the site , then any site that links to that site is black listed too. Regardless of the current status of the original site.

My guess is that this forum carries hundreds of files and links that googles engine is going to be unhappy with.
    Lester Wilson
    www.crownhill.co.uk
    [email protected]

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.60 GB

0 Not allowed!

The way I see it is one of four options:

1) we carry on as we are and clean up as google complains
    2) users start trawling the site to identify bad links and files so that we can remove them - this brute force solution should work, we have hundreds of active users, if all started trawling the site, we should be able to keep it clean
    3) we have some co-ordinated work by a small group of users that make the whole site google friendly.
    4) we close this site and make it read only, with access only to registered users _ not google. Start a fresh site, which is google friendly and managed by a group of users ( moderators with web management experience )

Note that I did ask for some assistance months back, to clean up the archive and move files from the archive to the user files area. I had not a single volunteer. The archive is now closed and you have no access to it. Parts of this site have been turned off more recently to appease google, because i don't have time to check and clean all the files / links. If I continue to operate in that manor, the site will loose functionality over time. I guess you can live without the archive. But what if i end up closing the files area?? or preventing users posting links??
    Lester Wilson
    www.crownhill.co.uk
    [email protected]

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.60 GB

0 Not allowed!

I wonder?

How many of you are aware of this part of the forum?
    Lester Wilson
    www.crownhill.co.uk
    [email protected]

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.60 GB

0 Not allowed!

Why do I ask?

Because Google see it and in there its easy to locate users posts with links to web urls that are no longer valid.

for example looking at:

Proton BASIC community web site > Miscellaneous > The Lounge > PIC wave

will list a post

http://www.protonbasic.co.uk/archive...p/t-49283.html

and that contains a link to here http://centauri.ezy.net.au/~fastvid/picsound.htm which is a page that no longer exists.

If that site happens to be a site that google lists as carrying malware or viruses, then we get blacklisted.
    Lester Wilson
    www.crownhill.co.uk
    [email protected]

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.60 GB

0 Not allowed!

If I understand correctly, my previous post now links to a page that does not exist, so google will note that and warn me that its an issue.

Now as far as I can tell, warnings of issues are not a cause of black listing, so I think i'm OK. But if that was a link to a site that was already blacklisted, then i'm going to cause our site to be blacklisted too.
    Lester Wilson
    www.crownhill.co.uk
    [email protected]

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.60 GB

0 Not allowed!

To be clear, there are TWO archives

1) the files archive, which is a web store of all the files that users uploaded to the old files area. NOT the current files area. When the current files area was built, users lost access to the old files area, so it was archived and accessible via archive DOT protonbasic DOT co DOT uk which is now Turned OFF, beacuse google doesn't like some of the content.

2) the forum archive www.protonbasic.co.uk/archive, which is an archive of the most recent 250 posts, for quick viewing in a text based browser or for machine reading. this is where other web sites go to scrape our forum posts to make them available via rss feeds and news content. Its a lso a place that search engines go to get up-to-date content from the site, without having to crawl though years of old posts.

www.protonbasic.co.uk/archive gets proton basic listed on web sites around the world

There is a *LOT* going on behind the scenes on this web site.
    Lester Wilson
    www.crownhill.co.uk
    [email protected]

• Attention

Thread Information