Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 7
    Total Downloaded
    1.09 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Why is my device restarting

Hi,
    I had a "Oh crap" moment when I plugged in a test rig I had and nothing worked, I checked for voltage and found 12V on the 5V line. I found that the common leg of the voltage regulator was snapped so no regulation.
    Anyway, a lot of stuff was zapped 6 IC's and 2 expensive displays. I had spares of the PIC's so replaced them but although the Pickit2 said it had programmed the new ones nothing happened even just a flashing LED.
    Finally I have (don't ask me how) got blinking LED's but when I plug the serial display in the PIC restarts.

So the question I have is, is it possible to tell what caused the restart IE a brownout as I do not think it is board related, it has worked fine in the past, all I have changed is the voltage regulator.
    If I already have the display connected it is not an issue but I only have one now due to the other 2's recent trip to the WEEE bin.

These are the relevant configs, I think the voltage is 4.9 so a meter would not show the dip if there is one.
    Config PWRT = On ;PWRT enabled
    Config BOREN = BOHW ;Brown-out Reset enabled in hardware only (SBOREN is disabled)
    Config BORV = 0 ;VBOR set to 4.6V

Regards,
    Bob

Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 182
    Total Downloaded
    5.30 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: Why is my device restarting

Yes. Some devices have a register that tells you what caused the last reset, RCON or per PCON.

I seem to remember somebody worked up a nice routine that gave you cause directly.
    Last edited by towlerg; 3rd June 2018 at 11:52.
    George.

• Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 7
    Total Downloaded
    1.09 GB

0 Not allowed!

Thanks George,
    I have found this, will need a bit of time to digest it http://www.protonbasic.co.uk/showthr...assist-someone.

Regards,
    Bob

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 31
    Total Downloaded
    6.55 GB

0 Not allowed!

For me you have the VBOR set a bit too high @ 4.6v. You have 4.9v supply and I think that when you connect the LCD it drops that 0.3v for a short period and the PIC resets. Can you disable the brownout or lower the VBOR to test?
    Regards

Joseph

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 182
    Total Downloaded
    5.30 GB

0 Not allowed!

I have found this
    The very thing I was thinking of. Use that code as an outline, I suspect it will be different for each device.
    George.

• Attention

Thread Information