Thread: Just to let you know530 days old

Thumbs Up
    Received: 74
    Given: 173
    Total Downloaded
    4.98 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: Just to let you know

I've always felt the macro approach was an unnecessary complication, I can see that it makes main code easier to read. But I do struggle reading other programmers macros. If using their code I usually convert the macros into other code solutions. There's more than one way to skin a cat.
    Couldn't agree more.

parameters, preferably including genuine temporary variables
    IMO any attempt to add the full house of local, global, static et al parameters would be massive overkill.

BTW I'm sure you noticed that you can have a return value and that the sub pops parameters in the reverse order.

Obviously any attempt to over or under load is doomed to failure.
    Last edited by towlerg; 7th May 2018 at 11:04.
    George.

Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 95
    Total Downloaded
    1.32 GB

0 Not allowed!

From my very limited experience of a procedural language with local variables, It uses a lot of vars. Way more than I would use.

The $define example I used while a little more of a pain to set up is very neat to use in practice.

Probably the most important change I have made in my coding recently was to use better prefixes on my variables

eg dim bTempByte1 as byte

dim cNumber as 23

In my code now I also use this
    $define TestButtons Gosub SubTestButtons

SubTestButtons

Return

TestButtons ()

In the code I write there is rarely never any need to pass parameters around
    Tim

• Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 16
    Total Downloaded
    889.46 MB

0 Not allowed!

It sounds like the new subroutines would be very similar to the procedures in proton24 in all but name.

I much prefer to use the proton24 procedures and find very little need for global variables or subroutines, it makes the code much easier to keep track of, especially going back to an older programs and it also makes it easier to reuse sections of code in new programs.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 71
    Given: 26
    Total Downloaded
    5.63 GB

0 Not allowed!

Can I call a Sub from another Sub, keeping in mind same rules that apply to Gosub and Return with regards to stack?
    Regards

Joseph

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 74
    Given: 173
    Total Downloaded
    4.98 GB

0 Not allowed!

Of course you can. As long as each GoSub/Sub eventually executes a Return/EndSub the stack grows but remains balanced.

Untill or indeed if Les adds parameters GoSub-Return and Sub-EndSub are functionally identical.
    George.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 71
    Given: 26
    Total Downloaded
    5.63 GB

0 Not allowed!

Thanks George.
    Regards

Joseph

• Attention

Thread Information