Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 2
    Total Downloaded
    150.22 MB

0 Not allowed!

Default E32-TTL-100 and PIC18F24K40 - Requirement for marriage Councelor

Sorry for this short request, my last message on this topic failed because Firefox wanted to update itself.

Due to limitations on PIC18F24K40, I'm needing to use software RSOut/RSIn instead of the USART to talk to a pedantic E32-TTL-100 LoRa transmitter. Before I post a massively detailed 'Help me' message - Does anyone have any sample code to spare that communicates with this device? Information is scant on the internet, except a 'Wide-boy' Arduino project.

Pete

Thumbs Up
    Received: 151
    Given: 152
    Total Downloaded
    3.03 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: E32-TTL-100 and PIC18F24K40 - Requirement for marriage Councelor

Due to limitations on PIC18F24K40
    What is the limitation? unless you're wedded to it perhaps an alternative?

Although from a functional standpoint whether you use hardware or software async makes no difference. The only issue with bit banging is a seriously reduced speed, I've used 9600 and it ran flawlessly.

For background info, Barak Dar put some SPI for the nRF24L01+ in the wiki
    George

Thumbs Up
    Received: 64
    Given: 0
    Total Downloaded
    118.16 MB

0 Not allowed!

Software uart receive can be very problematic. I'd steer clear of it unless it was my only choice.

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    150.22 MB

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by towlerg View Post
    What is the limitation? unless you're wedded to it perhaps an alternative?

Although from a functional standpoint whether you use hardware or software async makes no difference. The only issue with bit banging is a seriously reduced speed, I've used 9600 and it ran flawlessly.

For background info, Barak Dar put some SPI for the nRF24L01+ in the wiki
    PCB's are already fabricated. Doh!

At 9600 receive and transmit to the device are working properly doing config etc.. All seems OK. The troubling bit is only on transmit proper (BTW - I can transmit proper from a PC connected FT232 to this module).

I came across this: https://quadmeup.com/e45-ttl-100-not...ed-to-arduino/

but I suspect that this is either a stop bit issue, or something that I can't quite translate between devices.

thoughts? What else should I post

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    118.16 MB

0 Not allowed!

The uart interface seems fairly standard (9600 baud, 8N1) so it's hard to see the stop bit being a problem.

I assume you've verified the basics (3V3 logic levels, pic osc freq set correctly, 9600 baud bit time verified w/a scope, MODE pins set correctly, etc).

If it works with a PC and FT232, what are you doing differently in the K40 than that setup? Are you monitoring the AUX pin?

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    118.16 MB

0 Not allowed!

PCB's are already fabricated. Doh!
    Are you saying you can't use the hardware uart because of the pins you've connected?
    Which ones are you using? The K40 has PPS so you might be able to remap the uart pins.

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    3.03 GB

0 Not allowed!

At 9600 receive and transmit to the device are working properly doing config etc.. All seems OK. The troubling bit is only on transmit proper (BTW - I can transmit proper from a PC connected FT232 to this module).
    Could you expand on the first bit and expain the second.

Re the Arduino problems and solutions. The radio module neither knows nor cares what software sent the string of bytes (or otherwise) simply that there were sent.

I didn't read the whole article, without the background it'd be pointless anyway, but are you refering to a break condition?

thoughts? What else should I post
    I'd start from the begining, explain the progrect then explain the problem.
    George

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    150.22 MB

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by tumbleweed View Post
    Are you saying you can't use the hardware uart because of the pins you've connected?
    Which ones are you using? The K40 has PPS so you might be able to remap the uart pins.
    Thanks - Good call, but when I went down the PPS route I met this cul de sac: http://www.protonbasic.co.uk/showthr...651#post511651

Pete

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    3.03 GB

0 Not allowed!

I don't see the conection between your problem, which seems to something to do with async, and an issue with I2C on the PIC device you are using?
    George

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    150.22 MB

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by towlerg View Post
    I don't see the conection between your problem, which seems to something to do with async, and an issue with I2C on the PIC device you are using?

Hi George, I'm not helping much here. Apologies. Answering two independent threads simultaneously. Nothing to do with I2C. This is Async Serial with RSOut/In.

I've taken a scope download of a simple RSOut $AA on the PIC (Memory2 in Green) and the same $AA from an FT232 via a PC (Memory1 in Pink) to the E32-TTL-100 RXD pin. The trace is enclosed.

The Pink one works. The Green one doesn't. I see that we're a fraction out on timing and peak. But I imagine that this would have been tolerable. Are we outside of acceptable bounds here?

Pete
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thread Information