Thread: Selection of the Disk/Directory284 days old

Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 1
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

1 Not allowed!

Default Selection of the Disk/Directory

Is there a way to install the Proton Compiler in a different Disk than the default C ?

I have a small sized SSD as system C: disk and a large HD as D: where I install the applications.

Ioannis

Thumbs Up
    Received: 159
    Given: 153
    Total Downloaded
    3.04 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: Selection of the Disk/Directory

Not offhand but there are a number of utilities that will tell you what registry changes were made by an installation (dump before, dump after, get difference). This would allow you to install on C:, move the created directories (Program files, ProgramData and User bla bla) amend the registry changes to D: and apply them.

I use my SSD differently than you intend. I have an C: drive with the OS and all my apps to E: which is my data drive. I then "Ghost" an image of the C: drive, which means I can rapidly restore my system (and all its apps) to a know good state.With a bit of compression you end up with an image approx 10GB, so plenty of room on a USB stick to boot, run "Ghost" from and hold the image files.

I guess you can do the same thing with Microsoft's built-in System Restore but I don't trust it and it won't help if you can't boot.

Provided that your "Ghost" type app will image everything (including MBR) you can just as easily restore to the existing disk or a different one.

Also the scheme you intend doesn't get the best out off the other hardware, the OS will boot quicker but the apps will load as before. I could be of course that you're stuck with one of those 20GB units in which case bite the bullet, send it back and get a 60 or 120.

If money is tight, I bought a 60Gb KingDian S200 (new boxed) for 27 on ebay and it only took a couple of weeks. Seems just fine, same as the dead WD it replaced.
    George

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

2 Not allowed!

Thanks George for the reply.

Such an invasion to the system/registry is too much for moving the installation to another drive. I'll pass.

As for the use of an SSD, if I understood correctly, you use it to make a backup to it?

Good idea for rapid Backup/restore.

Ioannis

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    3.04 GB

0 Not allowed!

as for the use of an SSD, if I understood correctly, you use it to make a backup to it?
    Not really, I make an image of it. I run my OS and apps on the C: drive (SSD) and on occasion image it. Then whenever I blow something up or install some piece of crap that won't go away, I just use the image to return to a know good condition.

There are several free imaging apps available, I use Ghost cause I've used it for ages and it's never let me down, I don't think Symantec sell it any more. If you copy the image to a USB stick and copy your data disk to a external drive on a regular basis, you can survive even the most catastrophic hardware failure/virus attack.
    George

Thumbs Up
    Received: 111
    Given: 37
    Total Downloaded
    1.31 GB

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by towlerg View Post
    Not really, I make an image of it. I run my OS and apps on the C: drive (SSD) and on occasion image it. Then whenever I blow something up or install some piece of crap that won't go away, I just use the image to return to a know good condition.

There are several free imaging apps available, I use Ghost cause I've used it for ages and it's never let me down, I don't think Symantec sell it any more. If you copy the image to a USB stick and copy your data disk to a external drive on a regular basis, you can survive even the most catastrophic hardware failure/virus attack.
    I also occasionally save an image of my OS partition and data partitions and have for years. I long used Ghost but now use Paragon Hard Disk Manager although I'm sure I didn't pay $79 in 2011. It boots from an USB data key to do its thing so no working windows required. Its likely there are more affordable image saving utilities available.

P.S. I see Paragon Hard Disk Manager advertises a free basic version.

Norm
    Last edited by normnet; 12th January 2018 at 01:29.

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    3.04 GB

0 Not allowed!

The trick I find pre imaging is to use the browser as little as possible otherwise the profile gets big quick. When I decide it's time to create an updated image, I reinstall the previous image, add my apps ans make any config changes, then image straight away. In that way minimizing the chance of picking up something nasty.
    George

Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 0
    Total Downloaded
    118.16 MB

0 Not allowed!

What OS are you using?

If your drives are formatted as NTFS you can typically use junction points to move everything to different locations without messing with the registry.

The instructions/locations on how to do this differ depending on the OS.

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

0 Not allowed!

For the data folders like Documents or Photo, Music etc, this I know is relatively easy to do. I did it before.

But installation of a program? Can this be done with Junction Points too?

Ioannis

Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 0
    Total Downloaded
    118.16 MB

0 Not allowed!

Yes, junction points work with programs too.

If you already know how to do it, you can move the entire "C:\Program Files (x86)\ProtonIDE" folder anywhere you like.
    There are a lot of other "PDS" folders you'd want to move as well (C:\ProgramData\PDS, users folder\PDS, roaming folder\PDS, etc).

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.04 GB

0 Not allowed!

Thank a lot. I 'll look into it.

Ioannis

Thread Information