Today 02:09
Forum: The Lounge
Starter: spyder0069
Views: 0
Replies: 5
Go to last post By: krizpin
Yesterday 22:27
Forum: Master Synchronous Serial Port (MSSP) module / 3-wire SPI / I2C / Master and Slave modes
Starter: krizpin
Replies: 2
Go to last post By: towlerg
Yesterday 21:54
Forum: Proton Plus Compiler v3
Starter: towlerg
Replies: 5
Yesterday 19:49
Starter: pic-ignorant
Replies: 7
Yesterday 15:47
Forum: Proton Plus Compiler v3
Starter: joesaliba
Replies: 8
Yesterday 12:33
Forum: Master Synchronous Serial Port (MSSP) module / 3-wire SPI / I2C / Master and Slave modes
Starter: MTH
Replies: 2
Yesterday 12:21
Starter: Tim
Replies: 22
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Support for Les... a change of heart?20 days old

Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 2
    Total Downloaded
    1.32 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: Support for Les... a change of heart?

Quote Originally Posted by SELCUK View Post
    Hello,

I have an idea to produce application boards like Arduino boards. Maybe we get some founds by selling these boards.
    Lets choose any MCU and any peripheral devices for this idea.

Regards,

Selcuk
    It is not clear to me if you are referring to producing Arduino type shields for PIC development boards or an Arduino equivalent PIC development board?

If the former will there be sufficient demand for them to cover the production costs let alone make any profit on them as many people who use PIC's can knock something up themselves?

Personally, I think the latter that can take existing standard Arduino/Ardunio compatible shields and be programmed from within the IDE (or a simple external interface) via just a USB cable would be better in terms of trying to get people to consider using PICs & Proton instead for projects and rapid prototyping, particularly if the PIC used is one that is free to compile for. It would also essentially make the former option redundant as existing shields can be used.

Of course the problem is that the Arduino has become so established and pervasive it is difficult for anything new to compete with it as it has become the first (if not only) option many people know and would think of for such applications without getting it into a major supplier such as Onecall, RS, Maplin or Rapid who can promote it.

Anyway getting back on topic my contribution is on its way.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 259
    Given: 108
    Total Downloaded
    1.50 GB

0 Not allowed!

Thank you Stephen.

That is what the Amicus board was all about. i.e. An arduino platform but using a PICmicro.

I'm still busy re-designing the Amicus platform for both 8-bit devices and for PIC24 or dsPIC devices. I'm trying to make it extremely inexpensive, and just like the Amicus18, so easy to use, where a single button click in the IDE compiles then programs the board via a bootloader. It even finds the board's USB connection automatically, and operates as a standard serial port.

I tend to agree Spephen, for some very strange reason arduino took of, yet it is absolutely terrible in language implementation, using the least efficient compiler, the IDE is horrendous, and the board is awful, with even a, confessed, design fault on it. But, as we all know, the most popular is not always the best. This has been the case for hundreds of years with many many items. But now that AVR devices also belong to microchip, I'm busy implementing Proton for them as well.
    Last edited by Les; 5th January 2018 at 19:03.
    For more example programs for Proton and Proton24 or updates, please visit: Proton WIKI or Proton Files

Thumbs Up
    Received: 84
    Given: 27
    Total Downloaded
    1.38 GB

0 Not allowed!

Donation sent. I have used the compiler since the days of LETbasic and haven't contributed any money for some years. It's time.
    I've had a huge amount of fun using it and as my software projects are always freely distributed. I know that a large number of people, worldwide, have benefited as a result. There are hundreds of amateur radio repeaters and hundreds of hams rotating their antennas using PDS derived software to track the moon or man made satellites. You've had a big impact Les. It wouldn't have happened without Proton Basic. Thanks.
    John

Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 132
    Total Downloaded
    2.37 GB

0 Not allowed!

Following on from Les's remarks re. Arduino, I was going to make the obvious comparison with Beta over VHS but now I think about it, that happened because uniformed people made a bad choice. You would imagine that that did not apply to a programmers choice of hardware/software. But apparently not. Clearly some very bright (I guess by that I mean the ones who write the libraries) people stick with Arduino after its limitations have become apparent.

Personally I have nothing but gratitude for the Arduino project, it has created the volume to allow super cheap doodads.
    George

Thumbs Up
    Received: 84
    Given: 27
    Total Downloaded
    1.38 GB

1 Not allowed!

Personally I have nothing but gratitude for the Arduino project, it has created the volume to allow super cheap doodads.
    I'm of the same mind George. If a part has been made for an Arduino I know I can make it work with a PIC.
    Another positive now is that when Les has his new compiler working it is an opportunity into the Arduino community with the large user base currently stuck with C.
    John

Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1
    Total Downloaded
    181.00 MB

0 Not allowed!

I want to sponsor Les with a donation but I don't have PayPal.
    Isn't there a bank account?

Frizie
    picbasic.nl
    [FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][I][COLOR=navy]Ohm sweet Ohm :cool: [URL="http://www.picbasic.nl"]www.picbasic.nl[/URL][/COLOR][/I][/SIZE][/FONT]

Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0
    Total Downloaded

1 Not allowed!

Hi Les. I sent you a small contribution to support Proton. Just accept on Paypal the euro currency to get the money. Thanks again for the work you do.
    Giuseppe

Thread Information