Thumbs Up
    Received: 232
    Given: 87
    Total Downloaded
    1.50 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: Ram Variable Bytes 18F86J55

Thanks George. I did write the USB routines when I was in that phase. LOL

What I meant was that the serial port and parallel port should have been replaced with a HID mechanism that requires no drivers, instead of the dreadful CDC mechanism, which is actually so full of bugs, it's unbelievable. I agree that virtual serial ports are a pain to use when timeout occur, but on the PC side, the solution is something I developed quite a few years ago for some of the apps I wrote. Also, the FTDI drivers are also dreadful and bloated so that a timeout really screws up the OS, even crashes it sometimes!

My solution was to create a timer interrupt event within the PC application that continually reads the registry area for USB every few hundred milliseconds. If the USB that is being used drops off, or is removed etc, the registry will lose its entry quickly and once that happens, the timer interrupt event will close the virtual port and end its attachments quicker than the actual operating system can go into a timeout. It work 99% of the time, but every now and then, the OS is doing so little, it sees the fall off quicker than the interrupt timer event can.

Serial interfaces are still used on 99.99% of applications on the PC, such as bar chart decoders, most of MATLAB etc, so creating a HID interface means you can no longer use the already written, free, programs out there. I still don't understand why the PC manufacturers were allowed to remove the serial and parallel ports. Even if they had made them smaller sockets, it would have been OK. The trouble now is that 99.999999999999% of PCs are used for gaming, video, or conversing with a stranger that is named a friend etc..... Pretty much everything except what they were originally designed for. i.e. technical applications.
    Last edited by Les; 18th November 2017 at 21:51.
    For more example programs for Proton and Proton24 or updates, please visit: Proton WIKI or Proton Files

Thumbs Up
    Received: 49
    Given: 124
    Total Downloaded
    2.37 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: Ram Variable Bytes 18F86J55

I still don't understand why the PC manufacturers were allowed to remove the serial and parallel ports
    I'm sure that that decision reflects demand plus its easy to add a real (16550) async port, a PCI card on a desktop or an ExpressCard on most laptops.

Serial interfaces are still used on 99.99% of applications on the PC
    The most likely device (by a couple of decades) to be attached to a PC is a printer, the vast majority of which are USB.

so creating a HID interface means you can no longer use the already written, free, programs out there
    I don't see how using HID for an application precludes the use of any other interface for any other application.

I can't believe that I've disagreed with Les twice in one day, I think I'd better go and lay down in a darkened room.
    George

Thread Information