Thread: UltraEdit adaption.38 days old

Thumbs Up
    Received: 49
    Given: 124
    Total Downloaded
    2.37 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: UltraEdit adaption.

John. thanks for the file. I haven't tried it cause I cant figure out how to install it. The Help for add new compiler points to a directory that doesn't exist.

I use NotePad++ for general editing and I see that it allow user defined languages. In their wiki I found two definition files for Basic compilers ie BStamp and JBase basic. It happens that the JBase one might be a good place to start so I'm going to have a play with that.

I've kindda gone off UltraEdit, its so slow.
    George

Thumbs Up
    Received: 66
    Given: 0
    Total Downloaded
    1.09 GB

0 Not allowed!

I haven't noticed speed problems myself. I have Notepad++ which I use sometimes when working with ProtonIDE or Delphi. I use it more as a scratchpad. If you want to try out the new word file all you need to do is copy the word file ProtonBasic.uew to:
    C:\Users\<userName>\AppData\Roaming\IDMComp\UltraE dit\wordfiles

Open up a .bas file and it should use the ProtonBasic word file. If it doesn't, go to View, ViewAs and you will get a drop down list of all the languages supported where you should see ProtonBasic. Check ProtonBasic and you will see your bas file with Proton highlights. You can choose your highlighting colour scheme from View, Themes, Manage Themes. You will then get a dialog box with all the various keyword types where you can choose font colour, back colour and font style.
    JohnB

Thumbs Up
    Received: 49
    Given: 124
    Total Downloaded
    2.37 GB

0 Not allowed!

I put it in c:\program files\iDM\bla..bla\wordfiles so maybe that was the problem. As to speed, generally my machine loads even big big programs (Proteus etc.) pretty quick as I have an SSD as my C: drive and memory to burn.

The more I play with Notepad the more I suspect I'll continue ti use the Proton IDE. It does a lot of small things quietly in the background, like changing the capitalisation of variables to suit the DIM'd version and giving easyish access ti include files. If only it were possible to get an upgrade (I know thats not going to happen) the IDE with folding and Autocomplete etc. etc. Pet hate, you should be able to dbl click on the INCLUDE statement and an have it open the include file.

I rely should have another look at FL.
    George

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.09 GB

0 Not allowed!

With some work, you could do nearly all your wish list in UE. So far I have only scraped the surface of what you can do with UE. I also have to say that the UE user forum is very good when you need help. I have one day left on the trial so it looks like I will have to dig in to my pockets for some money.
    JohnB

Thumbs Up
    Received: 61
    Given: 18
    Total Downloaded
    2.27 GB

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by towlerg View Post
    the IDE with folding.............
    When you do a large code and you say, "ah ok, that section is finished" you really need the folding mechanism. Browsing through a medium to large code makes my eyes water. Also I use some plugins John did. One of them is PDS Viewer. I know that John had recreted the plugins for HD monitors and I must say that seeing the text in PDS Viewer and PDS IDE there is some serious difference. An update to the IDE is most welcome.

I use FL, and tracking the If...Then etc and code folding is very nice.
    Regards

Joseph

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.09 GB

0 Not allowed!

I agree, FL is a great IDE and I quite often use it particularly when I have lots of nested loops and if then's.
    Code folding in Basic has its limitations, in a structured language like VB or Pascal its fine as each collapsible section is well defined. In Proton Basic, unless you are using the P24, there are no clear markers for routines. The best you can do is code fold on:

Fold Start "if" "proc" "isr" "do" "while" "repeat" "for" "select"
    Fold End "endif" "endproc" "endisr" "loop" "wend" "until" "next" "endselect"

While this will work, it confuses the flow of the code and IMO doesn't make life easier with large files. It works fine if your are working with P24 and most of your code is in Procs (as it should be). Until there reasonable way to differentiate between a label which heads a subroutine and any other label I don't think code folding in basic is very helpful.

This is my experience as a result of working with Ultra Edit to customise it for ProtonPDS and adding UE's code folding feature.
    JohnB

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    2.27 GB

0 Not allowed!

John,

What I was thinking about code folding it is not necessary "if" "do" "while" etc...

What I was thinking about was a section of code, say from a label to just before another label.

If you have a label Main:, and then further down Parse_GPS: and then further down Default:, one can select to fold the section between Parse_GPS: and Default:.

Because as I said before, let's say in the example above that Parse_GPS: routine is tested and works fine, and I decide to hide it away.

In medium to large program I was thinking of doing each part an include file, but there is the trouble switching from one page to another if the need arises. However, if that section was folded then you can unfold it for a while and refold it when finished.
    Regards

Joseph

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.09 GB

0 Not allowed!

That's fine as long you don't write code which has labels within a subroutine. If you have labels within a subroutine you will be collapsing odd bits of code and it will be very confusing top read.

I agree that it would be nice to open the include file inside the open file but I think it could lead to problems. e.g. If you had done some substantial editing in the combined file it would be difficult to establish where the start and end of the include should be. A better solution might be to split the window and place the open include in one part of the window.
    JohnB

Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 2
    Total Downloaded
    1.32 GB

0 Not allowed!

Perhaps a specific sequence of comment characters could be used to indicate the start of foldable sections, for example if the special comment was ;:: (assuming ";" is the standard comment indicator) you would have something like...

Code:
    ;:: Main loop
    Main:
    or
    Code:
    Main:  ;:: Main loop
    and fold everything from the line below the special comment line to the next special comment line

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    2.27 GB

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Moss View Post
    Perhaps a specific sequence of comment characters could be used to indicate the start of foldable sections, for example if the special comment was ;:: (assuming ";" is the standard comment indicator) you would have something like...

Code:
    ;:: Main loop
    Main:
    or
    Code:
    Main:  ;:: Main loop
    and fold everything from the line below the special comment line to the next special comment line
    Much same of what I was thinking.
    Regards

Joseph

Thread Information