Advice on using the mE MikroProg Suite and Programmer with PDS.

+ Reply to Thread
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 1
    Total Downloaded
    2.59 GB

1 Not allowed!

Default Advice on using the mE MikroProg Suite and Programmer with PDS.

I have dug out my old MikroElektronika Programmer and updated the firmware but before I risk connecting it up to a real PIC does anyone have any experience with using this device with PDS (P24)?

E.g. The mikroProg Suite app lists Configuration Settings, are these picked up from the loaded Hex file?
    It is difficult to tell as the configuration bits as described and arranged by mE in the mikroProg Suite App do not correspond completely with the fuse descriptions taken from the PPI files.

I am guessing it does not see the config setting in the Hex file as it doesn't pick up the device when loading a new hex file.

Any advice would be appreciated.
    JohnB

Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 59
    Given: 0
    Total Downloaded
    330.54 MB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: Advice on using the mE MikroProg Suite and Programmer with PDS.

It's my understanding that it loads the config settings from the hex file (if present).

There are no provisions in the Intel hex file for a device type. The hex files are generic, and the target device is something that has to be set manually in any programmer.

• Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    2.59 GB

0 Not allowed!

Yes of course, hex file is generic, duh. Shows how little time I spend programming PICs, normally rely on Sim or boot-loading.
    I'll try programming and see what happens.
    JohnB

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 71
    Given: 26
    Total Downloaded
    6.08 GB

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by tumbleweed View Post
    It's my understanding that it loads the config settings from the hex file (if present).

There are no provisions in the Intel hex file for a device type. The hex files are generic, and the target device is something that has to be set manually in any programmer.
    I have the EasyPic v7 and it uses the MikroProg for programming the PIC. I think that the information is taken from PDS and passed to the MikroProg with the following parameter: -

-w -pPIC$target-device$ -f$long-hex-filename$ -q

And I did a small experiment to show this.

If you read the PDS manual, (not for the PIC24 but I think it should be the same), on page 154, `Device', PDS defaults to the PIC18F25K20.

So what I did was the following: -

I have installed in my EasyPic v7 board an 18F26K22. Without doing any typing in the editor window I hit `Compile and Program'. Now the PDS compiled to a default device 18F25K20.

Once the MikroProg window pops out, you can see that indeed the device is 18F25K20, not the 18F26K22 that I have installed, so the parameters done when I added the programmer to PDS is passing the information to MikroProg.

John,

I think that if you add the above parameters to PDS when adding the MikroProg to PDS will detect the device it is being used.
    Regards

Joseph

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    2.59 GB

0 Not allowed!

Thanks, I'm going to o give it a go.
    JohnB

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 71
    Given: 26
    Total Downloaded
    6.08 GB

0 Not allowed!

Norm,

If I remember the `-q' in the parameter is to automatically closes the MikroProg window after a successful write to PIC. If you wish to have the window open just remove the `-q'
    Regards

Joseph

• Attention

Thread Information