[SOLVED !] Replacing the PIC18F25K20 on an Amicus18

Closed Thread

Thread: Replacing the PIC18F25K20 on an Amicus18814 days old

normhal

0 Not allowed!

Default Replacing the PIC18F25K20 on an Amicus18

Hi All,

It's been a while since I "played" with PICs, (got pulled away by Arduino), and I've noticed there are some really cool new versions of the PIC18FxxKxx (both available and upcoming) which look very interesting.

To be specific, I would like to replace the PIC18F25K20 firstly with a ...K22 version, and then experiment with the PIC18F26K2x and ...4x versions. Of course, the PIC18F27K40 with its 128K Flash and the proposed ..K42 version which offers 8192 bytes of RAM will simply have to be tested:-)

Has anyone tried any of these new chips? Changes needed? Bootloader to be modified? (and will the free copy of Proton support them?) I suspect the 27Kxx versions could REALLY make the Amicus18 a VERY attractive addition to the Arduino line...

Thanks in advance,
    Norm

Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 305
    Given: 145
    Total Downloaded
    1.99 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: Replacing the PIC18F25K20 on an Amicus18

With the Amicus18 board, any 28-pin 8-bit device will work, as long as the programming header is used.

For 5 Volt devices, adjust the link on the board from 3 Volts to 5 Volts.

The new 18FXXK40 and 18FXXK42 devices have been altered to, nearly beyond, recognition to standard 18F devices, so I'm busy working on the compiler to perfect operation on them. However, in my opinion, for larger RAM and flash and more speed, use a 28-pin PIC24 device or dsPIC device. They are actually easier to use than 8-bit devices, and the compiler operates the same with them, but with some nice extras. But they will not fit on the Amicus18 board, because, for some reason, the pinouts were changed by Microchip, even though they use the same programming mechanism and PORT access etc...

• Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

normhal

0 Not allowed!

Thanks Les - look forward to experimenting:-)
    Best
    Norm

• Attention

normhal

0 Not allowed!

Hi Guys,
    Well I finally received a few variants of the PIC18F series, and started with simply replacing the PIC18F25K20 with a 25K22 version.

I've been trying to get the bootloader to work on the 25K22 without success:-( What I've done so far:-

- Changed the power "jumper" to be 5V - is this totally necessary in that the PIC18F25K22 is specced to operate from 2.3 to 5V?
    - Noticed that the ANSEL register defaults to Analog, so could affect the USART pins. So I added setting the BSR register and then clearing ANSEL, cleared BSR and setting TRISC to 0x80. MPLAB Simulator shows the registers being set correctly.
    - these additional instructions added 12 bytes to the original code so I adjusted the start address accordingly.

Has anyone managed to get the Amicus18 bootloader to work on a PIC18F25K22? I'd appreciate any tips, or clues why I can't get any life out of it. I'm using an ICD 3 to program it - for some reason my PicKit 3 refuses to program the PIC when installed on the Amicus18 PCB.

Thanks in advance,
    Norm

• Attention

normhal

0 Not allowed!

I must remember to try this trick next time...

1. Post a question on the forum after battling for two days
    2. Go for a walk in the garden, and clean the swimming pool
    3. Come back to the desk and don't do anything.
    4. Import the project from MPLab format into MPLABX
    5. Program the same chip the same way
    6. Viola!

So if anyone wants a bootloader which works on the PIC18F25K22 I'm happy to share:-)

Best,
    Norm

• Attention

Thread Information