Tips for Programming Amicus 18 on Windows 10

+ Reply to Thread
    normhal

1 Not allowed!

Default Tips for Programming Amicus 18 on Windows 10

Hi All,

I recently wanted to do some work using the Amicus 18, and after a good number of retries and searching through various Forums, I can say I have managed to reliably succeed:-). Whilst I have not had to do anything NOT covered in various posts, I felt it might help someone else migrating to Windows 10, if all the steps I have had to follow are in a single consolidated place, So here goes...

1. Install the latest Proton Basic Compiler Suite found on the Proton Basic Compiler Website - I installed Version 3.6.0.2_1.0.4.4
    2. Download and install the most recent "Amicus18_Loader" (attached) and unzip into a known location.
    3. As per DaveS' instruction, rename the old "Amicus18_Loader.exe" to "Amicus18_LoaderOLD.exe" and copy the just unpacked new "Amicus18_Loader.exe" into the same location as the OLD version. On my 64bit version of Windows 10 the location is "C:\Program Files (x86)\ProtonIDE\Plugin\Amicus18_Loader\"
    4. Connect your Amicus18 board to a USB port - ignore any errors - it won't load correctly - yet:-)
    5. Get ready to reboot your Windows 10 system - ie. close all running programs - We need to Disable Unsigned Driver Checking...
    If you have previously done this, do it again:-) It seems some Windows updates possibly reinstate signed driver checking, so it doesn't harm to simply do it again.
    6. Right Click on the Windows "Start" icon and select "Settings"
    7. Click on "Update and Security"
    8. Select "Recovery", and then click on "Restart Now" under "Advanced Startup"
    9. The system will start the restart process by presenting a Blue screen with three options - "Continue to Windows 10", "Troubleshoot" or "Turn Off Computer"
    10. Click on "Troubleshoot", then "Advanced", then "StartUp Settings", then "Restart" .The system will reboot and present you with a second Blue screen this time with a list of options. Select Option 7 with the Keyboard to disable Unsigned Driver Checking.
    11. The system will proceed with the familiar reboot "Windows".
    12. Once rebooted there are still a few steps to complete - the first is to install the correct drivers for the FTDI chip.
    13. Locate the directory "C:\Program Files (x86)\ProtonIDE\Amicus18 USB Driver\" and find two files - "ftdiport.inf" and "ftdibus.inf".
    14. In turn right click on each of the driver files and select "Install". After each selection you should be presented with a "warning" about unsigned driver installation - select the second option to install.
    15. After both have been installed, it's a good idea to right click on the "Start" icon and select "Device Manager". You should now see "Amicus18 Serial Port (COMx)" under "Ports", with NO error indications. Right click on it and select "Properties" - it should show that the device is working properly:-)
    16. The final step is to Start the Proton Compiler, and select "View" from the top toolbar.
    17. Select "Compile and Program Options" and then select "Programmer"
    18. In the "Default Programmer" drop down, ensure "Amicus18 Loader" is selected
    19. Click "OK" and you should be good to go:-)

Hope this helps someone:-)

Norm
    Attached Files Attached Files

Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 290
    Given: 141
    Total Downloaded
    1.68 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: Tips for Programming Amicus 18 on Windows 10

Thank you Norm.

Nice clear instructions for an operating system that simply should not be around!!! And they said Vista was bad :-O Windows 10 is a disgrace, as was Windows 8.

I work and think in the real world, so "If it isn't broken don't fix it" is my mantra. But when money is involved, companies and corporates don't give a damn, and listen to lawyers, nerds, professors and doctors etc... who don't live in the real world, don't actually use the equipment to any extent other than other corporate software, but want to make money.
    Last edited by top204; 2nd November 2017 at 09:02.

• Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

normhal

0 Not allowed!

You're right about Win10 Les. I recently got tired of an oldish Intel 3GHz Dual Core (E8400 chip) machine with 4Gig RAM running Win10 which had become so slow it was painful. In frustration I installed a fresh copy of XP with SP3 and avoided any form of updates and AntiVirus. Needless to say I keep it off the 'net as much as possible. That machine is now my preferred system to work on - it is simply the fastest, and most importantly, the most compatible:-)

Which leads to the next obvious question - any chance of getting Proton Basic for Linux?

Best
    Norm

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.68 GB

2 Not allowed!

IMO, Windows XP was as close as it gets to the "perfect" operating system. Windows 7 is alright, but they still screwed up with signed drivers and other bits and pieces that actually slow down a machine. But Windows 8 and Windows 10 are atrocious, and Microsoft should be ashamed of themselves for it. But Salesmen and Lawyers will still be making huge money from the crap. LOL

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.68 GB

0 Not allowed!

The problem with Linux is mainly two-fold.

1. It's written by and for nerds, so the many variants of it have problems running code. Some will, some won't.
    2. Linux users will not pay for anything!!!! They would rather use free open source stuff that "nearly works", rather than programs that have to be bought, but "do" work. That's because Linux users are mainly "copy and paste" users, who don't actually come up with many original ideas, unless someone else has written a library for it, that may or may not actually work correctly. :-)

Personally, I detest Linux, as it does not have a defined standard, and each version is different to the other. That's the main reason it has never become mainstream. Even though it's free!

• Attention

Thread Information