[SOLVED !] UMC Loader - Page 2


Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 29 of 29

Thread: UMC Loader929 days old

  1. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    688
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 91
    Given: 2
    Total Downloaded
    4.62 GB

    0 Not allowed!

    Default Re: UMC Loader

    Hi George,
    I think everything is controlled. I found several problems.
    - The PDS version 3603, when compiling produces 52 Bytes more. As the length of the bootloader is variable according to the options, the length of the code is controlled and it exceeded the ROM of the PIC.
    Symbol LOADER_CODE_SIZE = 1256 + OPTIONS_CODE_SIZE + CONFIGPINS_CODE_SIZE (old = 1208)

    - The _bankAend parameter is missing in your PIC18F4620.def file. This parameter is also controlled. It seems that you has not copied the PIC18F4620.def and PIC18F4620.PPI files into the PDS folder in the correct position. Because some parameters were missing in the .def file and some differences were in .PPI file. You copy these files into the respective PDS folders. And always save a copy of all the .def and .PPI files.
    - The positioning of the first RAM buffer must be in the BanK0. It should be done automatically, but it does not seem to work very well. There is not a solution by a code. I have done it manually. This causes this file to be only for the PIC18F4620.

    I must say that writing a bootloader with many options is not an easy task. It took it to me 8 months. There are a lot of parameters to control.
    Please try this new code.
    Regards
    Alberto
    Attached Files Attached Files
    73's de Alberto ea3agv

  2. Attention

    This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

    The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

    Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.


    Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

    If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues


    Thank you for your attention.

  3. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    688
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 91
    Given: 2
    Total Downloaded
    4.62 GB

    0 Not allowed!

    Default Re: UMC Loader

    You should not forget that the heading of your code should be this way and you copy the bootloader config fuses into your code.

    Declare Xtal = 20
    Declare Optimiser_Level = 2
    Declare Dead_Code_Remove = On
    Declare Watchdog = On ' Or OFF
    Declare Bootloader = Off

    And you must use the terminal (115200 Bauds) as described in the article.
    Regards
    73's de Alberto ea3agv

  4. Attention

    This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

    The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

    Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.


    Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

    If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues


    Thank you for your attention.

  5. #18
    Dave-S
    Guest

    0 Not allowed!

    Default Re: UMC Loader

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbertoFS View Post
    You should not forget that the heading of your code should be this way and you copy the bootloader config fuses into your code.

    Declare Xtal = 20
    Declare Optimiser_Level = 2
    Declare Dead_Code_Remove = On
    Declare Watchdog = On ' Or OFF
    Declare Bootloader = Off

    And you must use the terminal (115200 Bauds) as described in the article.
    Regards
    Thanks for Code, I have followed all the instructions, the Bootloader file compiles ok and have loaded into PIC. Downloaded CoolTerm and set up as instructions, it shows sending file but nothing gets written to the Pic, on reading pic only Bootloader file on it.

    David

  6. Attention

    This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

    The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

    Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.


    Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

    If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues


    Thank you for your attention.

  7. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    688
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 91
    Given: 2
    Total Downloaded
    4.62 GB

    0 Not allowed!

    Default Re: UMC Loader

    Hi Dave
    After loaded the firmware into the PIC, you must do a first reset that should receive the letter "W" to the terminal, which means "Waiting for Reset". If the letter "E" comes out, it means an Error.

    That usually nothing happens to me when I forget to put the option Flow Control = XON or Stop Bits = 2. I remember the configurations.

    Setting the CoolTerm Terminal communication:
    Press the OPTIONS icon.

    Serial Port:
    set the COM Port: COMx
    Baudrate: 115200
    Data Bits: 8
    Parity: none
    Stop Bits: 2
    Flow Control: XON
    Initial Line States when Port open: DTR Off, RTS Off.
    Receive / choose the "Ignore Receive Signal Errors".

    How to download a .HEX file:
    In the tool bar, press "Connection".
    Press "Send Text File"...
    Browse the .HEX file.
    Press the Reset button of the PIC board. (2 seconds Time Out)
    Press the "OPEN" icon. => sending hex file.

    There is usually no time to send the file in 2 seconds the first time. Try to try again and you will get it. I will have to increase the TimeOut to 5 seconds tomorrow.
    When the HEX is loaded and the PIC starts, the HEX PIC ID number must be output on the first line of the terminal.

    I will begin to mount my hardware system to test the bootloader again because the PDS has changed. I have bad luck, in 2 days my connection to the internet ends. I do not know when I will have the new connection. I could not connect for a week or longer.
    Regards
    Alberto
    73's de Alberto ea3agv

  8. Attention

    This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

    The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

    Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.


    Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

    If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues


    Thank you for your attention.

  9. #20
    Dave-S
    Guest

    0 Not allowed!

    Default Re: UMC Loader

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbertoFS View Post
    Hi Dave
    After loaded the firmware into the PIC, you must do a first reset that should receive the letter "W" to the terminal, which means "Waiting for Reset". If the letter "E" comes out, it means an Error.

    That usually nothing happens to me when I forget to put the option Flow Control = XON or Stop Bits = 2. I remember the configurations.

    Setting the CoolTerm Terminal communication:
    Press the OPTIONS icon.

    Serial Port:
    set the COM Port: COMx
    Baudrate: 115200
    Data Bits: 8
    Parity: none
    Stop Bits: 2
    Flow Control: XON
    Initial Line States when Port open: DTR Off, RTS Off.
    Receive / choose the "Ignore Receive Signal Errors".

    How to download a .HEX file:
    In the tool bar, press "Connection".
    Press "Send Text File"...
    Browse the .HEX file.
    Press the Reset button of the PIC board. (2 seconds Time Out)
    Press the "OPEN" icon. => sending hex file.

    There is usually no time to send the file in 2 seconds the first time. Try to try again and you will get it. I will have to increase the TimeOut to 5 seconds tomorrow.
    When the HEX is loaded and the PIC starts, the HEX PIC ID number must be output on the first line of the terminal.

    I will begin to mount my hardware system to test the bootloader again because the PDS has changed. I have bad luck, in 2 days my connection to the internet ends. I do not know when I will have the new connection. I could not connect for a week or longer.
    Regards
    Alberto

    I have checked all that and tried many times, I do not get any characters displayed, I get this when Pic reset "x.~.`.†`~".

    Thanks David

  10. Attention

    This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

    The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

    Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.


    Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

    If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues


    Thank you for your attention.

  11. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    688
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 91
    Given: 2
    Total Downloaded
    4.62 GB

    0 Not allowed!

    Default Re: UMC Loader

    Hi George,
    I am sorry, the Baud rate should be 57600 with a Xtal of 20 Mhz. The baud rate is automatic according to this code. I had in mind that the Xtal was 40Mhz. When these scribbles come out there is always a BaudRate problem.
    Code:
    ' Xtal avaibled: 64, 48, 40, 32, 25, 24, 20, 16, 14 (14.32MHz), 12, 10
    ' 115200 Bauds FOSC = 64Mhz = tested
    ' 115200 Bauds FOSC = 40Mhz = tested
    ' 57600 Bauds FOSC = 40Mhz = tested   
    ' 57600 Bauds FOSC = 20Mhz = tested
    ' 57600 Bauds FOSC = 16Mhz = tested
    ' 57600 Bauds FOSC = 10Mhz = NOT runs
    ' 38400 Bauds FOSC = 10Mhz = tested
    ' 19200 Bauds FOSC = 10Mhz = tested
    ' 9600 Bauds FOSC = 10Mhz = tested     
    '
    ' The Declare UART Baudrate is automatic depending of the Xtal.
        $ifndef _BaudRate
            $if _xtal >= 40
                $ifdef _InternalOSC_
                $define _BaudRate 57600
                $else
                $define _BaudRate 115200
                $endif
            $endif
            $if (_xtal >= 16) And (_xtal < 40)
                $define _BaudRate 57600
            $endif
            $if _xtal < 16
                $define _BaudRate 38400
            $endif
        $endif
    I have written a new version that allows to choose the timeOut of 2 or 5 seconds and with PLL or without PLL.
    I have compiled 2 hex firmwares (TimeOut = 5 sec) with an Xtal of 20Mhz without PLL and another with a Xtal of 10Mhz with PLL available to write them in the PIC.
    Regards
    Alberto
    Attached Files Attached Files
    73's de Alberto ea3agv

  12. Attention

    This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

    The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

    Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.


    Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

    If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues


    Thank you for your attention.

  13. #22
    Dave-S
    Guest

    0 Not allowed!

    Default Re: UMC Loader

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbertoFS View Post
    Hi George,
    I am sorry, the Baud rate should be 57600 with a Xtal of 20 Mhz. The baud rate is automatic according to this code. I had in mind that the Xtal was 40Mhz. When these scribbles come out there is always a BaudRate problem.
    Code:
    ' Xtal avaibled: 64, 48, 40, 32, 25, 24, 20, 16, 14 (14.32MHz), 12, 10
    ' 115200 Bauds FOSC = 64Mhz = tested
    ' 115200 Bauds FOSC = 40Mhz = tested
    ' 57600 Bauds FOSC = 40Mhz = tested   
    ' 57600 Bauds FOSC = 20Mhz = tested
    ' 57600 Bauds FOSC = 16Mhz = tested
    ' 57600 Bauds FOSC = 10Mhz = NOT runs
    ' 38400 Bauds FOSC = 10Mhz = tested
    ' 19200 Bauds FOSC = 10Mhz = tested
    ' 9600 Bauds FOSC = 10Mhz = tested     
    '
    ' The Declare UART Baudrate is automatic depending of the Xtal.
        $ifndef _BaudRate
            $if _xtal >= 40
                $ifdef _InternalOSC_
                $define _BaudRate 57600
                $else
                $define _BaudRate 115200
                $endif
            $endif
            $if (_xtal >= 16) And (_xtal < 40)
                $define _BaudRate 57600
            $endif
            $if _xtal < 16
                $define _BaudRate 38400
            $endif
        $endif
    I have written a new version that allows to choose the timeOut of 2 or 5 seconds and with PLL or without PLL.
    I have compiled 2 hex firmwares (TimeOut = 5 sec) with an Xtal of 20Mhz without PLL and another with a Xtal of 10Mhz with PLL available to write them in the PIC.
    Regards
    Alberto
    Hi Alberto,

    Still have problem cannot load user file into pic, bootloader file uploads ok - PIC18F4620_20Mhz_HSM_V31.hex.
    One thing I found was Coolterm does not show .hex file on the SendTextfiles, see attached image, not even when you select "All files". Help said you can drag files and that seems to work dragging .hex but it still is not uploading the file on reset, still get gibberish on reset. see attached images.

    Thanks David.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	File-1.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	3353Click image for larger version

Name:	file-2.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	3354Click image for larger version

Name:	file-3.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	3355

  14. Attention

    This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

    The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

    Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.


    Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

    If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues


    Thank you for your attention.

  15. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    688
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 91
    Given: 2
    Total Downloaded
    4.62 GB

    0 Not allowed!

    Default Re: UMC Loader

    Hi George,
    I have the version of CollTerm 1.46 Built 322. It is running without problem.
    You must first establish the connection to the port by pressing "Connect". Only when there is a connection to the port can the file be sent. In the tool bar press "Connection" and "Send Textfile". In the window you can see all the files, also the file.hex. Maybe you have another version or other configuration? I have always used this terminal with the Amicus18 Board.
    I suppose the terminal works with a test program? In a short time my internet connection will be cut off.
    Regards
    Alberto
    73's de Alberto ea3agv

  16. Attention

    This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

    The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

    Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.


    Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

    If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues


    Thank you for your attention.

  17. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    688
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 91
    Given: 2
    Total Downloaded
    4.62 GB

    0 Not allowed!

    Default Re: UMC Loader

    Hi George,
    I have reassembled my hardware for the PIC18F4620. I was lucky to have a Xtal of 20Mhz. At first I had the same problem with the terminal because I had left the Xtal of 16Mhz. Could it be that your Xtal is malfunctioning? The attached bootloader works perfectly at 20Mhz (without PLL) with an Amicus18 and PIC18F4620 with the CoolTerm at 57600 Bauds.
    Regards
    Alberto
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Bootloader.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	3357
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by AlbertoFS; 28th September 2017 at 18:54.
    73's de Alberto ea3agv

  18. Attention

    This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

    The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

    Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.


    Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

    If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues


    Thank you for your attention.

  19. #25
    Dave-S
    Guest

    0 Not allowed!

    Default Re: UMC Loader

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbertoFS View Post
    Hi George,
    I have reassembled my hardware for the PIC18F4620. I was lucky to have a Xtal of 20Mhz. At first I had the same problem with the terminal because I had left the Xtal of 16Mhz. Could it be that your Xtal is malfunctioning? The attached bootloader works perfectly at 20Mhz (without PLL) with an Amicus18 and PIC18F4620 with the CoolTerm at 57600 Bauds.
    Regards
    Alberto
    Attachment 3357
    Thanks I will try that.

    David

  20. Attention

    This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

    The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

    Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.


    Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

    If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues


    Thank you for your attention.

  21. #26
    Dave-S
    Guest

    0 Not allowed!

    Default Re: UMC Loader

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbertoFS View Post
    Hi George,
    I have the version of CollTerm 1.46 Built 322. It is running without problem.
    You must first establish the connection to the port by pressing "Connect". Only when there is a connection to the port can the file be sent. In the tool bar press "Connection" and "Send Textfile". In the window you can see all the files, also the file.hex. Maybe you have another version or other configuration? I have always used this terminal with the Amicus18 Board.
    I suppose the terminal works with a test program? In a short time my internet connection will be cut off.
    Regards
    Alberto
    Coolterm version is 1.4.7 Build 427

    David

  22. Attention

    This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

    The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

    Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.


    Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

    If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues


    Thank you for your attention.

  23. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    688
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 91
    Given: 2
    Total Downloaded
    4.62 GB

    0 Not allowed!

    Default Re: UMC Loader

    Hi david,
    I'm back with a new internet connection.
    Have you been able to run the terminal with the bootloader or have you been able to test the old version? I would like to have feedback to improve my program, although I can not do anything with the terminal program.
    Regards
    Alberto
    73's de Alberto ea3agv

  24. Attention

    This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

    The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

    Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.


    Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

    If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues


    Thank you for your attention.

  25. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    688
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 91
    Given: 2
    Total Downloaded
    4.62 GB

    0 Not allowed!

    Default Re: UMC Loader

    I installed the new version of CoolTerm and it works as badly as you say it.
    However, if I change the extension file.hex to file.asc, then the file can be downloaded and it works fine. In my opinion, it is better to install the old version.
    73's de Alberto ea3agv

  26. Attention

    This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

    The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

    Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.


    Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

    If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues


    Thank you for your attention.

  27. #29
    Dave-S
    Guest

    0 Not allowed!

    Default Re: UMC Loader

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbertoFS View Post
    Hi david,
    I'm back with a new internet connection.
    Have you been able to run the terminal with the bootloader or have you been able to test the old version? I would like to have feedback to improve my program, although I can not do anything with the terminal program.
    Regards
    Alberto
    Still cannot get it to work.
    It was the 18F4550 with USB that I require and was only trying the 18F4620 because you had that working at the time.

    David

  28. Attention

    This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

    The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

    Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.


    Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

    If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues


    Thank you for your attention.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. [SOLVED !] UMC Loader Device.inc file info for 18f4331
    By Hornett in forum Absolute Beginners Section
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 27th October 2016, 18:17
  2. Using UMC bootloader - which programmer
    By RGV250 in forum Mecanique - IDE
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 14th May 2013, 07:43
  3. [SOLVED !] UMC bootloader
    By ADLIN SYSTEMS in forum Mecanique - IDE
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 3rd March 2013, 11:48
  4. about new UMC boot loader
    By jyb in forum Proton Plus Compiler v3
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 29th May 2012, 16:16
  5. [SOLVED !] UMC bootloader 18F46K22
    By shunt010 in forum Mecanique - IDE
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 19th May 2012, 11:20

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts