[SOLVED !] Taking advantage of the internal voltage references of the 18F25k22 chip on ADC conv.

Closed Thread
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 38
    Total Downloaded
    11.59 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Taking advantage of the internal voltage references of the 18F25k22 chip on ADC conv.

Hello all,

I like to take advantage of the fix voltage references FVREF of 18F25K22 chip for my ADC conversions. I have at the moment this declaration which uses uAmicus18_ADC.inc and "OpenADC(ADC_FOSC_16 & ADC_RIGHT_JUST & ADC_20_TAD, ADC_REF_VDD_VSS, ADC_5ANA)" which refers to VDD. How do I change my OpenADC(....) to use the internal voltage references. I supposed I have to modify the FVR BUF2 on the ADCON1 and the VREFCON0 to turn on and get the right voltage reference? Many thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Yves

2. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 0
    Total Downloaded
    216.42 MB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: Taking advantage of the internal voltage references of the 18F25k22 chip on ADC c

Hi Yves,

I dont use Amicus18.
    I used Pic18F26K22 for a project adjusting FRV for the ADC. Basically what I do is adjust the FSR registers directly.

Initialization of registers SFR:

'REGISTER 21-1: VREFCON0: FIXED VOLTAGE REFERENCE CONTROL REGISTER
    'Uso la referancia interna de tensión para el convertidor ADC a 4.096V.
    VREFCON0 = 110000
    'FVREN = VREFCON0.7,: Fixed Voltage Reference Enable bit activado
    'FVRST = VREFCON0.6: Fixed Voltage Reference Ready Flag bit, ready for use
    'FVRS1 = VREFCON0.5: Fixed Voltage Reference Selection bits,
    'FVRS0 = VREFCON0.4 11 = Fixed Voltage Reference Peripheral output is 4x (4.096V)
    'La tensión de referencia de 4.096 V solo funciona correctamente para valores de alimentación por encima de
    '4.75V, se observa que con baterías por debajo de 4.5V, el valor calculado del ADC es erróneo.
    'Un ajuste manual de contraste ha de hacerse cuando la tensión de las pilas cae por debajo de 4.2V

'REGISTER 17-1: ADCON0: A/D CONTROL REGISTER 0
    ADCON0 = 110000
    'Selecciona canal AN12, y apaga el convertidor ADC.

'REGISTER 17-2: ADCON1: A/D CONTROL REGISTER 1
    ADCON1 = 001000
    'Selecciona la referencia de tensión positiva a FVR 4.096
    'Selecciona la referencia de tensión negativa a masa

'REGISTER 17-3: ADCON2: A/D CONTROL REGISTER 2
    ADCON2 = 001110
    'ADFM: A/D Conversion Result Format Select bit. 1= Right justified
    'ACQT<2:0>:A/D Acquisition time select bits. 001= 2 TAD
    'ADCS<2:0>:A/D Conversion Clock Select bits. 110= FOSC/64 = 1us
    Voltage measurement routine:

'************************************************* ************************
    '** SUBRUTINA: MedirTension
    '** Mido tensión de alimentación
    '**
    '************************************************* ************************

MedirTension:
    ADON = 1 'Activo el convertidor ADC
    MedidaADC = 0
    GO_DONE = 1 'Arranco la medida
    WHILE GO_DONE = 1
    'Espero la conversión
    WEND
    MedidaADC.BYTE0 = ADRESL
    MedidaADC.BYTE1 = ADRESH
    ADON = 0 'apago el convertidor ADC

RETURN

'** FIN SUBRUTINA: MedirTension
    Regards,
    Gamboa

4. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    11.59 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: Taking advantage of the internal voltage references of the 18F25k22 chip on ADC c

Many thanks for your time Gamboa,
    I will try to adapt your code to my program and see how it goes.
    Nevertheless I had a long look at the Amicus18_ADC.inc routines Les has wrote a while ago but I couldn't find if the ADC setup "OpenADC(....)" has an option for using the fix voltage reference FVR for the 18F25k22 chip. Is any one knows?

Regards,

Yves

6. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 92
    Given: 2
    Total Downloaded
    4.62 GB

0 Not allowed!

You could see this code in the wiki.
    73's de Alberto ea3agv

8. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    11.59 GB

0 Not allowed!

Thank you Alberto,

When I put the micro "OpenADC(ADC_FOSC_32 & ADC_RIGHT_JUST & ADC_20_TAD, ADC_CH0, ADC_REF_VDD_FVREF, ADC_17ANA)" and compile I get an error like "ADC_CH0, ADC_REF_VDD_FVREF" not found though I have the Amicus_ADC.inc and Amicus18_25k22.inc in the include. Can you please help with this? Thank you.
    Could it be that "ADC_CH0, ADC_REF_VDD_FVREF" is not in the Amicus_ADC.inc?

Regards
    Last edited by yvesmazzon; 4th September 2017 at 08:48. Reason: omition

10. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    4.62 GB

0 Not allowed!

Hi Yves ,

Using "Amicus18_26K22.inc" and my library "Amicus_ADC.Inc".

To configure the reference voltages of the ADC, you must configure the V + and V- as you know.
    You can choose an individual configuration for V + and V- (V + & V-) or choose a combination configuration. (only one config).

My code is a correction of the original library. I have not added new combined settings for all possibilities of the ADC references.

Then you have 2 typographical errors.

ADC_REF_VDD_FVREF is => _ADC_REF_VDD_FVREF

Then the correct configuration is:
    _ADC_REF_VDD_FVREF & _ADC_REF_VSS_VSS
    (111011 = A/D VREF+ connected to internal signal, FVR BUF2) And (111100 ADC voltage source VREF- = AVSS)

It means:
    OpenADC(ADC_FOSC_32 & ADC_RIGHT_JUST & ADC_20_TAD, ADC_CH0, _ADC_REF_VDD_FVREF & _ADC_REF_VSS_VSS, ADC_17ANA)

The compiled code is for _ADC_REF_VDD_FVREF & _ADC_REF_VSS_VSS
    movlw (248 & 0X0F)
    movwf ADCON1

It is the same as:
    ADCON1 = %00001000
    It seems correct.

Regards
    Alberto
    Last edited by AlbertoFS; 4th September 2017 at 15:34.
    73's de Alberto ea3agv

12. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    11.59 GB

0 Not allowed!

Hello Alberto,

Many thanks for your correction, it makes good logical sense. Now I understand better the macro and will test it tonight. I suppose I have to modify the register to VREFCON0 = %10110000 to unable the REF generator and to set the FVR to 4.096 and correct the quanta factor to "Result2 = ADC_Result * 4096 / 1023".
    Yes it works like a charm. Thanks again.
    Just one more question my signal is less than maximum 800mV is anything wrong to set the FVR to its minimum of 1.024V to increase the sensitivity that should give a resolution of 1mV/bit?

Regards,

Yves

14. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    4.62 GB

1 Not allowed!

Hi Yves,
    I believe there is no difficulty. I have tested with ISIS and the results seem correct. However it is advisable to check the FOSC of the ADC, see the compatibility table in the PIC datasheet. The correct setting could be "ADC_FOSC_64" or "ADC_FOSC_FRC1" if the "Declare Xtal" is equal to 64.

Personally, when I use the internal ADC, I avoid loading the digital pins of the high current ports (<0.5mA) to reduce noise, especially when using the +VDD as a reference. It is better to use buffers or transistors to drive high load like LEDs and others. Using FVR reference is better.
    In this case the design of the PCB is of primary importance.

I tested FVR with 1.024V with ISIS.

I wish you much success in your project.
    Regards
    Alberto
    AmicusADC_FVR.zip
    Last edited by AlbertoFS; 4th September 2017 at 22:35.
    73's de Alberto ea3agv

16. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 94
    Given: 34
    Total Downloaded
    5.14 GB

0 Not allowed!

Hi Yves,
    I notice in your formula for calculating the result you are dividing by 1023. Remember there are 1024 levels (0 is a level) so you should divide by 1024.
    John

18. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    11.59 GB

0 Not allowed!

Thanks John,

Advice taken.

Regards,

Yves

20. Attention

Thread Information