Thread: I2C bus 21068 days old

Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 54
    Total Downloaded
    3.89 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default I2C bus 2

Hi Les, I working with PIC18F26K22 and it brought the necessity to use second I2C bus commands, like HBStart2, Hbusout2....

Ricardo Urio

2. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 337
    Given: 161
    Total Downloaded
    1.99 GB

1 Not allowed!

Default Re: I2C bus 2

You're better off using the I2COut and I2Cin commands Ricardo. They are just as fast, and easier to manage. They are also able to be used multiple times using any pins of a microcontroller for SDA and SCL.

Really, the hardware I2C peripherals only come in as mandatory if used as a slave device, otherwise, bit-bashed I2C is just as good, if not a bit better because the querks of the MSSP peripheral don't come into play.

4. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Henk57

0 Not allowed!

If a slave (must) use clock-stretching then it wouldn't work with I2COut.
    The Bus will stop and a Reset or powercycle must be invoked.

I don't know if I2COut have that option allready, its about 2years ago that I encounter this with some slave's.
    For that reason I must use HBusOut.

Henk.
    Last edited by Henk57; 23rd June 2017 at 20:53.

6. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    3.89 GB

0 Not allowed!

As well, with time critical firmwares, we can't use MSSP2 interrupts using I2COut.

Ricardo Urio

8. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 21
    Total Downloaded
    827.23 MB

0 Not allowed!

Saw this thread late........do we really need two separate I2C connections in any application ?.......one is sufficient to communicate with the peripherals having different addresses. The basic idea behind two hardware MSSP modules is carrying out two different kind of communications concurrently......one I2C , another SPI.....etc.
    Shantanu

10. Attention

Mentcleer

0 Not allowed!

Hi Henk57,

I do not understand "clock-stretching" ....
    I am working with I2C and I have connected a Clock, Accelerometer (MMA7455LT) and a Temperature sensor in PIC18F26K22 all with different I2C addresses.

The accelerometer is not because it stops the system is frozen and I have to do a Reset.

It is possible that it is for what you comment and if that is the solution I apply.

Thank you.

12. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    3.89 GB

0 Not allowed!

Hi Shantanu,

As example, my circuit uses MSSP1 to communicate between 3 microcontrollers and 4 DAC. One microcontroller is responsible by a critical high pressure closed loop control, so it controls a valve current, using a separate DAC, connected to MSSP2 of this specific microcontroller, while the main system is working with MSSP1.

Ricardo Urio

14. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 21
    Total Downloaded
    827.23 MB

0 Not allowed!

HI Ricardo,
    What you say is reasonable.......using the second MSSP for the critical application.
    Just a thought.......for high pressure valve control , if there is a feedback failure then the DAC output can shoot up & the results can be catastrophic.
    You must be using some kind of software interlock for that.
    But software is not always foolproof.....some hardware safety mechanism should also be there.
    Shantanu

16. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    3.89 GB

0 Not allowed!

Hi Shantanu,

You are right and both safety systems were implemented. Software has a current limit for each pressure range and a mechanic security valve opens around 2150 BAR (my working pressure is up to 2000 bar=29.000 PSI)

Ricardo Urio

18. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 337
    Given: 161
    Total Downloaded
    1.99 GB

1 Not allowed!

Default Proton I2C libraries for MSSP1 and MSSP2 peripherals

Here you go Ricardo...

I've created 2 libraries to implement I2C via both MSSP1 and/or MSSP2. All routines are written in BASIC, so they can be altered as much as you require. They are extremely easy to use, and are very efficient.

Within the zip file there is also 3 demo programs showing them interfacing with separate eeproms, and 2 eeproms in the same program. There's also an Isis simulation showing everything working. Shown below:

Here's one of the demo programs that uses MSSP2:
    Code:
    ' Demonstrate the routines for I2C using the device's MSSP2 peripheral
    ' Write bytes to a 24LC256 I2C eeprom, then read them back and displays them on the serial terminal
    ' Written by Les Johnson for the Proton BASIC Compiler
    '
        Device = 18F25K22                           ' Select a device with two I2C peripherals
        Declare Xtal = 64

Declare Hserial_Baud = 9600                 ' Set USART1 baud rate to 9600
    '
    ' Define the pins used for the device's MSSP2 peripheral
    '
    $define Hbus2_SCL_Pin PORTB.1
    $define Hbus2_SDA_Pin PORTB.2

Include "Hbus2.inc"                         ' Load the I2C MSSP2 routines into the program
    '
    ' Create some variables for the demo
    '
        Dim wAddress As Word                        ' 16-bit address of eeprom
        Dim ByteIn As Byte                          ' The byte received
        Dim Byteout As Byte                         ' The byte transmitted

'-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ' The main program starts here
    ' Write bytes to a 24LC256 I2C eeprom, then read them back and display them on the serial terminal
    '
    Main:
    '
    ' Write to the eeprom
    '
        For wAddress = 0 To 9                               ' Create a 10 element loop
            Byteout = wAddress + 100                        ' Load the value to write to eeprom 1
            Hbus2_Start()                                   ' Send a Start condition
            Hbus2_Set_SlaveAddress(% 01010000, Hbus2_Write) ' Send the Device + Slave address + Write bit
            Hbus2_Write_Byte(wAddress.HighByte)             ' Send the High Byte of the address
            Hbus2_Write_Byte(wAddress.LowByte)              ' Send the Low Byte of the address
            Hbus2_Write_Byte(Byteout)                       ' Send the value of Byteout to the eeprom
            Hbus2_Stop()                                    ' Send a Stop condition
            DelayMS 5                                       ' Give time for the byte to be stored in the eeprom's matrix
        Next
    '
    ' Read from the eeprom
    '
        HRSOutLn "From eeprom 2:"
        For wAddress = 0 To 9                               ' Create a 10 element loop
            Hbus2_Start()                                   ' Send a Start condition
            Hbus2_Set_SlaveAddress(% 01010000, Hbus2_Write) ' Send the Device + Slave address + Write bit
            Hbus2_Write_Byte(wAddress.HighByte)             ' Send the High Byte of the address
            Hbus2_Write_Byte(wAddress.LowByte)              ' Send the Low Byte of the address

Hbus2_ReStart()                                 ' Send a ReStart condition
            Hbus2_Set_SlaveAddress(% 01010000, Hbus2_Read)  ' Send the Device + Slave address + Read bit
            Hbus2_Read_Byte(ByteIn)                         ' Read the byte from the eeprom
            Hbus2_Nack()                                    ' Send a Nack condition
            Hbus2_Stop()                                    ' Send a Stop condition
            HRSOutLn "Address ", Dec wAddress, " is holding ", Dec ByteIn ' Display what was read on the serial terminal
            DelayMS 50                                      ' Delay so we can see things happen
        Next
        Stop

'-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ' Setup for 64MHz operation using a 16MHz crystal
    '
    Config_Start
        FOSC = HSHP           ' HS oscillator (high power > 16 MHz)
        PLLCFG = On           ' Oscillator multiplied by 4
        PRICLKEN = On         ' Primary clock enabled
        FCMEN = Off           ' Fail-Safe Clock Monitor disabled
        IESO = Off            ' Internal/External Oscillator Switchover mode disabled
        PWRTEN = On           ' Power up timer enabled
        BOREN = SBORDIS       ' Brown-out Reset enabled in hardware only (SBOREN is disabled)
        BORV = 190            ' Brown Out Reset Voltage set to 1.90V nominal
        WDTEN = Off           ' Watch dog timer is always disabled. SWDTEN has no effect.
        WDTPS = 128           ' Watchdog Timer Postscale 1:128
        CCP2MX = PORTC1       ' CCP2 input/output is multiplexed with RC1
        PBADEN = Off          ' PORTB<5:0> pins are configured as digital I/O on Reset
        CCP3MX = PORTB5       ' P3A/CCP3 input/output is multiplexed with RB5
        HFOFST = On           ' HFINTOSC output and ready status are not delayed by the oscillator stable status
        T3CMX = PORTC0        ' Timer3 Clock Input (T3CKI) is on RC0
        P2BMX = PORTB5        ' ECCP2 B (P2B) is on RB5
        MCLRE = EXTMCLR       ' MCLR pin enabled, RE3 input pin disabled
        STVREN = Off          ' Stack full/underflow will not cause Reset
        LVP = Off             ' Single-Supply ICSP disabled
        XINST = Off           ' Instruction set extension and Indexed Addressing mode disabled (Legacy mode)
        Debug = Off           ' Disabled
        Cp0 = Off             ' Block 0 (000800-001FFFh) not code-protected
        CP1 = Off             ' Block 1 (002000-003FFFh) not code-protected
        CP2 = Off             ' Block 2 (004000-005FFFh) not code-protected
        CP3 = Off             ' Block 3 (006000-007FFFh) not code-protected
        CPB = Off             ' Boot block (000000-0007FFh) not code-protected
        CPD = Off             ' Data EEPROM not code-protected
        WRT0 = Off            ' Block 0 (000800-001FFFh) not write-protected
        WRT1 = Off            ' Block 1 (002000-003FFFh) not write-protected
        WRT2 = Off            ' Block 2 (004000-005FFFh) not write-protected
        WRT3 = Off            ' Block 3 (006000-007FFFh) not write-protected
        WRTC = Off            ' Configuration registers (300000-3000FFh) not write-protected
        WRTB = Off            ' Boot Block (000000-0007FFh) not write-protected
        WRTD = Off            ' Data EEPROM not write-protected
        EBTR0 = Off           ' Block 0 (000800-001FFFh) not protected from table reads executed in other blocks
        EBTR1 = Off           ' Block 1 (002000-003FFFh) not protected from table reads executed in other blocks
        EBTR2 = Off           ' Block 2 (004000-005FFFh) not protected from table reads executed in other blocks
        EBTR3 = Off           ' Block 3 (006000-007FFFh) not protected from table reads executed in other blocks
        EBTRB = Off           ' Boot Block (000000-0007FFh) not protected from table reads executed in other blocks
    Config_End
    In order for all programs to use the "Hbus1.inc" and "Hbus2.inc" libraries, place them in the User's Includes folder: C:\Users\User's Name\PDS\Includes\

I2C libraries for MSSP1 and MSSP2

Click image for larger version

Name:	Eeproms.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	3310

Last edited by top204; 30th June 2017 at 20:13.

20. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    3.89 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: Proton I2C libraries for MSSP1 and MSSP2 peripherals

Hi Les,

Very good, I will use it soon.

Ricardo Urio

22. Attention

Thread Information