+ Reply to Thread
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 0
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Unable to get 18F25K50 and new USB stack working

Help Please. Has anyone managed to get the 18F25K50 or 18F45K50 to work with the new USB stack? I have been trying for several days with the USB stack from V3.5.9.2 of the compiler.

The mosue demo compiles and works fine with 18F14K50. I changed the device to 18F25K50, added the config from an older working project to USB_Defs.inc and added a conditional compile to the USB_System.inc to take care of the register change for the USB interrupt priority bit

Code:
    $ifdef USB_SERVICE                  ' Are we using the low priority interrupt?
        $ifdef _device = _18F25K50 Or _device = _18f45k50
            IPR3bits_USBIP = 0
        $else
            IPR2bits_USBIP = 0         ' Yes. So USB Interrupt Priority set to Low        
        $endif
    $endif
    The programme compiles OK but Windows will not recognise the device. I have studied the various inc files and tried but I cannot see anything amiss. The Board is being powered from PicKit 2 and the hardware is OK as it still works with the hex file from an old project.
    Last edited by See_Mos; 2nd March 2017 at 09:50.
    My RAM is failing

2. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 66
    Given: 26
    Total Downloaded
    3.61 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: Unable to get 18F25K50 and new USB stack working

Windows not recognizing the device is often caused by an inadequate descriptor file or the speed/stability of the interface
    But why do you use the new stack, the stack implemented in the compiler works just fine with me

4. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 183
    Total Downloaded
    5.30 GB

0 Not allowed!

I agree the USB support provided by the compiler is fine (and supports CDC which the new stack does not) but the new stack does offer several advantages -

a. it's newer so it no doubt includes Microchip USB bug fixes
    b. the descriptor format is much closer to Microchip and others, so easier to port.
    c. more flexible access
    d. it "feels" better

Anyway, thats just me. getting back to the original post. You need to be absolutly sure that the clock going to the USB engine is 48Mhz (assuming you want full speed). Find a USB project for 25K50 that uses full speed USB and compare configs. Also ensure that you run Device configurer (the check USB button in Fuse configurator) as a cross check.

I'll have a quick look at the datasheet and see if anything jumps out.
    George.

6. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    3.61 GB

0 Not allowed!

Sorry to disagree.
    -It's not much newer, if you look at the datetimestamp of the files it's 2012, so I doubt if the newest insights are incorporated
    -The descriptors are only slightly different in structure, the main difference is the way other files are included (they should yield in a valid descriptor else Windows would never accept them)
    -The USB_Defs.inc is horrible because it only supports a limited number of devices (and yours is NOT one of them). Imho it's really bad software architecture to include the device-specific configuration to a framework.
    -Why do you have more flexible access, to what?
    -Feeling better is subjective, so I won't discuss that.

8. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 341
    Given: 162
    Total Downloaded
    1.99 GB

0 Not allowed!

But the very reason I added the USB stack written in BASIC, and open source, was so that users could alter it, and adjust it, as they liked. And maybe add to it!!!!!

The device support I added was purely in the fuses, so these will require altering anyway if any other crystal is used etc...

They were placed there to show how it worked, so users could adjust it as they liked.

10. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 183
    Total Downloaded
    5.30 GB

0 Not allowed!

It's not much newer, if you look at the datetimestamp of the files it's 2012, so I doubt if the newest insights are incorporated
    The datastamp may have changed but theres nothing in "whats new" to suggest bug fixes.

The descriptors are only slightly different in structure, the main difference is the way other files are included (they should yield in a valid descriptor else Windows would never accept them)
    I guess slightly is a matter of opinion. Descriptor files are difficult enough already, anything that makes porting easier is like a straw to a drowning man. As an example, try modifying the old style keyboard descriptor to a media keybord.

The USB_Defs.inc is horrible because it only supports a limited number of devices (and yours is NOT one of them). Imho it's really bad software architecture to include the device-specific configuration to a framework.
    I think the idea is you add the device/Xtal that you intend to use, with some examples for the less experienced.

Why do you have more flexible access, to what?
    HID_WriteArray/HID_ReadArray and HID_TxReport/HID_RxReport

Feeling better is subjective, so I won't discuss that.
    Point taken. If the native USB commands do the job for you then that's fine. I say vive la difference.

I see now that Les has responded and as usual hit it on the head, the thing I forgot, open source. I also forgot that it shows a timer being used instead of USBInit, hell it's worth it just for that.
    George.

12. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    3.61 GB

0 Not allowed!

I'm happy with the native USB implementation since the only thing I do is HID. Les surely did a really fine job.
    I would not dare to touch the basic files in the new sample because, although I know a little of USB, the idea just frightens me.

I withdraw my remarks, probable a bit too hasty.

14. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 0
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

0 Not allowed!

I wanted to use the USB stack because it is newer than the original commands and it is a challenge to make it work.

I forgot to mention that I need HID. I have added a working fuse config from an old USB project to USB_Defs.inc and modified the system.inc and everything compiles OK.

When my head stops buzzing I'll have another go, it's probably something simple that I have missed, or forgotten.
    My RAM is failing

16. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 76
    Given: 33
    Total Downloaded
    6.56 GB

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post
    The device support I added was purely in the fuses, so these will require altering anyway if any other crystal is used etc...
    In fact I added a few devices to that list that I was going to make use off. Not only. Using same system for projects with different devices if needs be.
    Regards

Joseph

18. Attention

Thread Information