Thread: Water detection. As problem solved1238 days old

Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 95
    Total Downloaded
    1.32 GB

1 Not allowed!

Default Water detection. As problem solved

Those with a long memory may remember my attempts at detecting water in a tube.

I got to a position where I thought I had it licked using probes 5v a resistor and adc converter.

All was well until purified water was used

Advice was taken on using AC at the probe etc. All appreciated.

I got round to looking at it again and talked with a friend. He came up with a single chip solution It uses a cmos 4093 schmitt device. One gate provides the AC and another the extremely low impedance the device needs to turn on.

Attached is a basic schema if anyone is interested. In my system it will run on 12v with an R/R divider to cap the output to the 3.3v I need and use another gate so I can have 2 probes.

Cheers

TimClick image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2016-11-14 at 07.28.17.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	3168
    Tim

2. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 55
    Total Downloaded
    2.38 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: Water detection. As problem solved

Nice solution. Thanks, Tim!

-Rick

4. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 35
    Total Downloaded
    192.60 MB

0 Not allowed!

Well done Tim.

Mine is not much different while I use the CD40106 (1 gate) Hex-Schmitt-trigger, CD4093 have 2 gates but if you ties this together, then it is also one gate.

But keep in mind, don't route AC-lines (120VAC-240VAC) close to the sensor, but at distance!
    And as suprice, water conduct EM-fields better than air!

Second suprice CD40106 runs from 3V.

Henk.
    Last edited by Henk57; 14th November 2016 at 15:53.

6. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.32 GB

0 Not allowed!

Hi Henk

I went for 12v as I had it but also because I have the diode thresholds to overcome. Thanks for the warning about the 120-240v nearby. The equipment will be in a metal case and feed 12vdc so hope I will be OK.

Tim
    Tim

8. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 16
    Total Downloaded
    1.35 GB

0 Not allowed!

Also a long lenth of sensing cable has significant capacitance which appears to the circuit as a resistance leak, so basically this system is okay with short cables.

John

10. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.32 GB

0 Not allowed!

The cable length will be no more than 75mm from the board to the probes and the ground on the tube.

I have 2 probes one at the bottom and one at the top. whole system is in a metal enclosure and 12v dc power in. There is a fan that is PWM'ed though and in the past it made a hell of a lot of noise. But an inductor and big cap sorted it.

Its one of those projects that if I get it sorted will be worth a lot of money. If only I had the time to finish it! Just to busy making a living to find the time

Cheers

Tim
    Tim

12. Attention

Thread Information