Programming PIC18F24K22 for I2C

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Programming PIC18F24K22 for I2C1438 days old

jom

0 Not allowed!

Default Programming PIC18F24K22 for I2C

Hello all

I'm back yet again to programming for a PIC on a project. Every time I start up again I always end up back here when I run into a wall. The problem is that I simply don't work with PICs in a sustained manner to remember everything. I'll forget what I learned when I don't get back to programming for 6 months or a year. Frustrating but what can I do?

Anyways, this time I need to program a PIC to be an I2C "slave". I have to bring in I2C data and then spit out the data in SPI format (as the "master") to several peripheral devices. Some quick questions:

1) Is it necessary to use the built in Hbusout (etc) commands in PDS or can you program the SSP module yourself? If so, does anyone have a code example? If you were to program the SSP module itself can it be done like with SPI such that you don't have to do a direct bit-bang and let the module itself do the functions?

2) I'm curious...are the Hbus commands what they call a "bit banging" method? I looked at the assembly and that seems to me what is going on.

A dumb Compiler question...best asked with a specific example: What the best way to access the low half of a register byte without disturbing the top bits? Let's say I set up a symbol to describe Bit 5 of SSP2CON1 as:

Code:
      Symbol SSP1EN = SSP1CON1.5                       ' SSP1 Enable bit
      SSP1EN = 1                                                 ' Set Enable bit

Then later I need to set the bottom four bits as:

SSP1CON1 = 10                ' SSP1M Bits (3:0) set to I2C Slave Mode, 7-bit address
    I assume here the last command doesn't overwrite the top bits of SSP2 with zeros....is that true? Is there a cleaner way to do this? That's a dumb little issue I've had...I usually just dump the idea of doing the Symbol set up and just write to the whole register at once (SSP1CON1 = %XXXXXXXX) but I thought I'd ask this time.

Thanks again all and have a good holidays.

jom

Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 21
    Total Downloaded
    827.23 MB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: Programming PIC18F24K22 for I2C

Hi,
    I am also currently doing a project with 18F24K22 where a RTC(I2C) has to be read.
    The PIC is in master mode , but still you might have a look at my code.....http://www.protonbasic.co.uk/showthr...ts-with-HBusin
    Hbusin/Hbusout should make life easier for you since they usually work like a dream...
    To set a bit you have to bitwise OR with a byte with that particular bit set to 1 & all the other bits 0 , and to reset a bit you have to bitwise AND with a byte with that particular bit set to 0 & all the other bits set to 1.
    Shantanu

• Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

jom

0 Not allowed!

OK, since you Hbusin etc can you tell me what the difference is between those and Busin and Busout etc? The manual says they are also for I2C so which should you use?

In fact, the manual also states that these commands (both the Hbus and Bus) were "somewhat lacking" and implied a "new structure". What is that referring to? Were the commands re-written in the compiler at some point? The manual isn't clear.

Thanks

jom
    Last edited by jom; 14th December 2015 at 20:07.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 21
    Total Downloaded
    827.23 MB

0 Not allowed!

Hbusin & Hbusout commands use the hardware MSSP module whereas Busin & Busout commands generate the I2C waveform through software.
    Since you are using a PIC with a MSSP module , there is no reason to use Busin & Busout.
    Shantanu

• Attention

Thread Information