Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 39
    Total Downloaded
    3.45 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: Advice on Start bits

Tony, John

You seem to be making good progress Tony, very impressive, thanks for the feedback. I have now got my board working and can confirm absolutely that you can do everything with just this board.

I ordered it from Mouser, online. Here is a copy of the order.

653-B5T001001G
    MFG Part No:B5T-001001(G)
    B5T-001001(G)
    Omron Optical Sensor Development Tools
    TARIC:8525500000 ECCN:EAR99 COO:JP

As you say Tony, it is a fabulous piece of gear and the cost is probably all in the software.

Charlie

Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 31
    Total Downloaded
    926.61 MB

0 Not allowed!

Thanks for the confirmation Charlie/Tony.

Looks like the Firewing could be a suitable choice? 5V @ 500mA(USB) or 800mA ext psu, & 3,3V signals

John

• Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    3.45 GB

0 Not allowed!

It should be fine John. I am using a 7805 regulator to drop from 12V to the 5V needed by the board. The metal heatsink gets pretty warm so I would think that the 250mA (max) is probably right.

Let us know how you get on.
    Charlie

• Attention

Developer

0 Not allowed!

Charlie, did you get it all working? If so how do you teach the B5T new faces to recognize? I still use the Omron software to do this but am thinking about doing face learning on just the sensor board. I would probably set up face detection first to make sure a face was in view then start a face learn routine, then have a simple text entry to give the new face a name.

Tony

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    3.45 GB

0 Not allowed!

Tony

I have got the board working and if the light is right it knocks ten years off me! As you say, it's good with photographs too. I haven't tried or set up the face recognition yet, mainly because the National Museum of Computing has been given a large stand at the IP-Expo_Euro exhibition in October and I have to get my Turing Test in a tidy state, and get a teleprinter working. It was the gender/age detection that was my main concern. I am also slightly worried that I might be straying into personal data protection areas if I "photograph" (you know what I mean), somebody - particularly a Young Person.

Your AI demo is very impressive, did you write it yourself?

• Attention

Developer

0 Not allowed!

Charlie, I worked on the AI with a very talented friend who is a genius on this type of software. Thanks to Dragon (DNS10), back in 2008 we had a Siri like application where you can ask the AI for anything by speech and it will attempt to find an answer via various AI knowledge sites.

The B5T gives my age from 57 to 61 and I am 59, so it seems to work well - for the photo of John Connor it estimates his age as 23 this is a clever algorithm.

I would like to see your Turing Test, I may visit the exhibition if possible to do this.

John, have you started working with the B5T yet?

Tony

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    926.61 MB

0 Not allowed!

Hi Tony,

I got the board today, but I'm not having much luck finding an English datasheet. I went to the URL on the box, created account etc but it is all in Japanese too.
    To summarize, progress is zero so far!

John

• Attention

Developer

0 Not allowed!

John, email me at toymaker(dot)[email protected](dot)com and I maybe can help with the datasheets etc.

Tony

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    926.61 MB

0 Not allowed!

Hi Tony,
    Thank you for your offer. Charlie sent me the details earlier. I may call on you if I cant get it working though!

Rgds
    John

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    926.61 MB

0 Not allowed!

Hi Tony, Charlie,

I have got UART1 & UART2 working on a PIC24HJ128GP502,(Firewing board) just sending to the Serial Communicator, not connected the HVC board yet. I was reading through the posts, and I can't see if you resolved the 'Start bit' problem?

How did you guys sort your hardware? I was intending to use UART1 for PIC to PC debugging, and UART2 to the HVC board.

Rgds
    John

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    3.45 GB

1 Not allowed!

Hi John

The "problem" was that Tony wasn't very familiar with RS232 comms, which can be confusing. He obviously is now and is getting fantastic results.

I set my hardware up the same as you: UART1 for general talking to my board, UART2 for the HVC board. It takes a little while to figure out exactly how to interpret the output from the HVC board. The amount of data it can send varies depending on what you ask it to do. I wanted all that to happen in the background while my main process (The Turing Test) was rattling a teleprinter in conversation with the user (victim). If it's any help to you here is the relevant piece of my code:

Initial setup:

Device = 24HJ128GP502
    Declare Xtal = 79.23

Declare Hserial1_Baud = 9600 ;the diagnostic port IN
    Declare Hserial2_Baud = 9600 ;the AI port IN
    Declare Hrsout1_Pin = PORTB.8 ;This is pin 17
    Declare Hrsout2_Pin = PORTB.10 ;
    Declare Access_Upper_64K = On ;so we can reach above 64K (the limit for 16 address bits)
    Declare Optimiser_Level = 2 ;recommended by Les
    Declare Dead_Code_Remove = On ; .. .. ..
    PLL_Setup(43, 2, 2, $0300) ;Configure the Oscillator to operate at 79.23MHz

PPS_Output(cOut_Pin_RP8, cOut_Fn_U1TX) ;put uart1 output on RB8 (Peripheral remapping PPS)
    PPS_Input(cIn_Pin_RP9, cIn_Fn_U1RX) ; .. .. input on RB9

PPS_Output(cOut_Pin_RP10, cOut_Fn_U2TX) ;put uart2 output on RB10
    PPS_Input(cIn_Pin_RP11, cIn_Fn_U2RX) ; .. .. input on RB11

Then the interrupt routine for UART2:

;----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

; UART2 talks to and from the HVR face-recognition hardware. We only do char reception via interrupts, tx is direct

Isr - U2rxinterrupt
    hvc_char = U2RXREG ;get char from Uart2
    led2 = led2 ^ 1

Select hvc_vector ;where to go next
    Case 0 ;first char, must be $FE
    If hvc_char = $FE Then
    hvc_vector = 1 ;first char is ok, get the next one
    Else
    HRSOut " HVC error:", Hex hvc_char, $0D, $0A
    EndIf
    Case 1
    hvc_response = hvc_char
    Inc hvc_vector
    Case 2
    hvc_datalen.Byte0 = hvc_char
    Inc hvc_vector
    Case 3
    hvc_datalen.Byte1 = hvc_char
    Inc hvc_vector
    Case 4
    hvc_datalen.Byte2 = hvc_char
    Inc hvc_vector
    Case 5
    hvc_datalen.Byte3 = hvc_char
    Inc hvc_vector

Case 6
    hvc_bodies = hvc_char
    Inc hvc_vector
    Case 7
    hvc_hands = hvc_char
    Inc hvc_vector
    Case 8
    hvc_faces = hvc_char
    Inc hvc_vector
    Case 9
    hvc_reserved = hvc_char
    Inc hvc_vector

Case 10
    hvc_age = hvc_char ;age followed by confidence (2 byte)
    Inc hvc_vector
    Case 11
    hvc_ageconf.Byte0 = hvc_char
    Inc hvc_vector
    Case 12
    hvc_ageconf.Byte1 = hvc_char
    Inc hvc_vector
    Case 13
    hvc_gender = hvc_char
    Inc hvc_vector
    Case 14
    hvc_genderconf.Byte0 = hvc_char
    Inc hvc_vector
    Case 15
    hvc_genderconf.Byte1 = hvc_char
    Inc hvc_vector
    EndSelect

IFS1.14 = 0 ;clear interrupt flag
    EndIsr

I know it's a bit long winded but don't forget, only a very small section of the above is obeyed for each char that arrives from the HVC. I ask the HVC to do one run every second, as follows:

; -------------------------------------------------------------------------

; HVC routines

get_genage: hvc_vector = 0
    hvc_age = 0
    Func = 4
    HRSOut2 Sync, Func, $03, $00, 110000, $0, $0
    Return

proc_hvc: DelayMS 1000 ;give board time to give reply
    If hvc_datalen = 4 Then ;it didn't get anything
    Return
    EndIf
    If hvc_gender = 1 Then
    HRSOut " Male, ", Dec hvc_age, " years ", Dec hvc_ageconf/10
    Else
    HRSOut " Female, ", Dec hvc_age, " years ", Dec hvc_ageconf/10
    EndIf
    HRSOut $0D, $0A
    Return

I hope this helps. Ask me if you can't figure it out but I'm sure you will. (The forum mechanism will probably remove the percent signs)

Charlie
    Last edited by charliecoultas; 22nd September 2015 at 08:22.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    926.61 MB

0 Not allowed!

Thank you very much for that Charlie, much appreciated.
    I'm looking through the datasheet, and I can't see a pinout for CN4. I'm guessing that is what you are using?

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    3.45 GB

0 Not allowed!

John

Yes, the teeny connectors are too small for me. I found the spec for CN4! Hidden as an appendix in one of the documents:

1 Gnd
    2 CTS Not needed, leave open
    3 Vcc +5V (the TXD and RXD are not 5V tolerant)
    4 RXD Data from you
    5 TXD Data to you
    6 RTS Not needed, leave open

I soldered onto these pins but I suppose you could use some 0.1" socket type thing.
    Don't forget to change the baud rate, I don't remember but it's not set at 9600 when delivered. Oh, and take the flimsy plastic off the camera lens otherwise you'll take 20 years off everybody!

Charlie

• Attention

Thread Information