XP USB DONGLE ver 3.5.7.1

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: XP USB DONGLE ver 3.5.7.11945 days old

matty

0 Not allowed!

Default XP USB DONGLE ver 3.5.7.1

• I wanted to install version 3.5.7.1 on an old laptop running XP Just to have as a spare machine to have a working copy of the compiler on
      I could not get the USB dongle to install spent hours tried everythnig.

A very big thank you to Paul_AST
      I followed Paul's post below in the exact steps Paul described it worked my dongle lights up red I now have a back up machine with the compiler on incase anything happens to the main machie. Thanks Paul_AST

• OK, here is what i found and the work-around.

Tried to look in the orig CD but would need an unpacker as they are probably in the big .exe file and my days as a reverser are long passed

Tried the drivers in the folder "USB key drivers" and could not get them to work on the XP installation in their present form.

The error i get when i try to install the sparkey drivers is " Error: Cannot install this hardware Spark dongle. An error occured during the installation of the device. A service installation section in this INF is invalid".

So, went to my old laptop running XP 32 bit and did a search for sparkey on the computer. Found two instances, first was sparkey.sys in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers and the second was sparkey.dll in C:\WINDOWS. Copied both to a folder and transfered to the problem machine. Copied both files to the same directories on the problem machine. Took the sparkey.inf file from the "USB key drivers" folder and copied it into the folder containing the copied .sys and .dll files. Did the added new hardware routine, pointed to the folder and installation went ahead with no problem.

I won't speculate on what the problem could be, because it is easy to resolve now, but it will not be picked up by most of us on the forum since we are probably installing on machines that have the usb key drivers already installed, or we have moved on from XP 32 bit.

Les, please don't get too heavy with Wastrix as he was the only one willing to jump in and offer assistance.

Paul

2. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

AnthonyHarris

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: XP USB DONGLE ver 3.5.7.1

Just had the very same problem but I didnt have the luxery of an old computer, luckliy I had the orignal disk from back in the day and installed it from there

4. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 4
    Total Downloaded
    1.83 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: XP USB DONGLE ver 3.5.7.1

I'm always fascinated by the variations of the USBKey driver issues. A reccuring theme is that there is an issue with the drivers that can be resolved by some older verson or un published version.

If you are convinced that the drivers you have used resolved an issue that was not resolved by useing the currently published drivers, I have no problem with that, but please do share your findings by uploading the drivers that you used to resolve the issue, so that others may benifit from them, if they are faced with the same problem.

You can upload to the user files area or the forum files area and link to the uloaded files in your forum post.

It will be interesting to run a file compare between the drivers that you are using and the ones currently published
    Lester Wilson
    ---------------------------------
    Crownhill Associates Limited
    www.crownhill.co.uk
    Tel: +44 1353 749990
    Fax: +44 1353 749991
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------

6. Attention

Thread Information