[SOLVED !] Proton IDE for linux

Closed Thread

Thread: Proton IDE for linux1753 days old

Mark Harrington

0 Not allowed!

Default Proton IDE for linux

Good evening to everyone There has been much discussion with reference to open source software inclusive the use of Linux as an OS

In many opinions a far better system with respect to windows not to mention the number of freely available packages that come as part of the distro

Under these discussions I would like to request if Crownhill will be considering Proton IDE for Linux ?

I operate two systems now but much of my work I’m now seriously considering using Linux due the enormous cost of packages as possibly many will appreciate being needed for development in todays world

Hence my request

I’m quite convinced that Open source will have a major play in the IT market and this would be quite an attraction for many to see Proton Development suite for Linux Os being developed

Considering all above in relation to Arduino , Rasberry pi , beagle board etc certainly amongst my fellow uni grads and students where we still keep in touch and regularly consult with each other

Many have come to the same conclusion that open source is definiteky the way to go with respect to operating systems such as Opensuse ,

I expect that most will possibly agree due to recent hikes in university fees and costing of such courses in relation to IT that this will become standard defacto in time

It would be lovely to see proton do very much the same with regards Proton smart suite on Linux obviously liscensed as standard how ever to see this for Linux , Mac would I think be a real advantage for many

Look forward to any comments you may have reference this topic

Thanking you all thus far

Mark Harrington

Last edited by Mark Harrington; 2nd May 2015 at 01:04.

Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 79
    Given: 46
    Total Downloaded
    1.39 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: Proton IDE for linux

Would it not be both the IDE and the compiler?
    Or at a minimum the compiler as any text editor can be used as a crude IDE.

Norm

• Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 182
    Total Downloaded
    5.30 GB

0 Not allowed!

I would be surprised if PDS didn't run happily under Wine.

George
    George.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 31
    Total Downloaded
    6.55 GB

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by towlerg View Post
    I would be surprised if PDS didn't run happily under Wine.

George
    There was an old post somewhere that someone did run PDS under Wine.
    Regards

Joseph

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.39 GB

0 Not allowed!

See this Linux thread for a possible VirtualBox solution.

Norm

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.39 GB

0 Not allowed!

See Wiki article Proton on Linux Pt2 - THE SOLUTION

Norm

• Attention

Mark Harrington

0 Not allowed!

Thankyou Norman Ill give this a try

Looks as though after much pulling hair out again today as usual (No wonder we are going bald ) I might have to upgrade to opensuse 13.2 anyway since many of many rpm installations wont work unless you have certain libruaries on the machine Not that I find linux esay at the best of times but its quite a good operating system and despite all the headaches it does have its advantages

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 12
    Total Downloaded
    3.13 GB

0 Not allowed!

Proton runs under Wine but I have not been able to make the dongle work. With Wirtual Box however that works too. I used the articles linked to above as a start, the rest was easy. I used a XP image that I downloaded for free from Microsoft: http://dev.modern.ie/tools/vms/#downloads The XP has the advantage that there is only one file. They even explain how to extend the licence indefinately

• Attention

Thread Information