Thread: The closed thread on XINST1703 days old

Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 181
    Total Downloaded
    5.15 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default The closed thread on XINST

I realize somebody closed this because it had become circular (at best) but some of the information in it was just wrong.

If you look at the PPI file of a randomly selected K device - 18F14K50 - you will see that XINST defaults to off and if you generate a Noddy program with no fuses, XINST is off.

George
    George.

Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 96
    Given: 1
    Total Downloaded
    2.75 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: The closed thread on XINST

Because the fuse configurator takes the Microchip default values whatever is in the PPI file is irrelevant if you use the configurator. I will look at the possibility of overriding the defaults for the XINST fuse but I suspect this could be become the thin end of the wedge.
    JohnB

• Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 7
    Total Downloaded
    3.72 GB

0 Not allowed!

Hi John,
    I can understand your thin end of the wedge comment however it should not be if you only apply it to exceptional circumstances as with the XINST fuse, however even then perhaps it should only be considered as a tertiary option.

The XINST fuse is unique in that unlike the other fuses not all its settings are currently compatible (for want of a better term) with the compiler thus the primary place to address the issue should probably be by specific mention in the user manuals, possibly backed up with a secondary notification in the form of sticky posts on XINST compatibility to both the Proton Plus Compiler v3 & Proton 24 forums.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    2.75 GB

0 Not allowed!

Is there an easy way to determine if a chip supports the extended instruction set? If so I could put up a warning that the user must set XINIST to OFF for compatibility with the compiler. I would rather not put a filter on XINST in the code which loads the arrays.
    JohnB

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 66
    Given: 26
    Total Downloaded
    3.46 GB

0 Not allowed!

No there is not, I'm afraid you'll have to check the lines.
    It all depends on where you start processing the .inc lines. If you look at their structure each fuse occurs twice. First in a commented part where all settings are explained (more or less that is). The second time is in the actual _CONFIGx lines.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    2.75 GB

0 Not allowed!

I don't want to open up the include for each device as Fuse Configurator uses the 8bit_dev.info file for information on the fuses. As the XINST is one of the fuses it can be found in this file. If it's present and "On" I could could raise a pop-up warning that XINST must be off. I would rather do that than override the defaults in 8bit_dev.info.
    JohnB

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    2.75 GB

0 Not allowed!

Just Changed Fuse Configurator to behave as previous post.
    Would anyone like to try it first before I release it?
    If so PM me with your Email address and I will send it to you.
    JohnB

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    3.46 GB

0 Not allowed!

I'm really not acquainted with that file, but I checked and it looks good.
    I'm happy to test the new version

Harm

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    5.15 GB

0 Not allowed!

I don't have that file (8bit_dev.info) and goggle can't find a reference to it. Did it come wlth fuse Configurator? Maybe thats why FC behaves oddly on my machine.

George
    George.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    2.75 GB

0 Not allowed!

8bit_device.info

Goto ProtonIDE\PDS\Includes and there you will see it.
    Also you will find it with MPASM assuming you have installed MPLAB.
    JohnB

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    5.15 GB

0 Not allowed!

How odd. Thats the first time (that I know of) that "Everything" has let me down. The file is exactly where you said it was, maybe finger trouble on my part.

Also odd because I had previously declared today as my lucky day (while pumping bilge, glasses slide off nose into harbor, 6 hours later at low water, see glasses in mud and hook them out)

George
    George.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    2.75 GB

0 Not allowed!

That happend to me a while back.
    It was dusk, and we were anchoured off Peter Island in the BVI.
    I was cleaning the side of the boat when my glasses fell into the water.
    We searched for them but never found them.
    I ended up for the rest of the cruise with just my sunglasses to read charts and resaurant menus.
    Looking back at the photos, it made me look like a real poser, not a good look at my age!!!
    JohnB

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    3.46 GB

0 Not allowed!

I had more luck. Back in 75 we went to sea after a meeting. I walked into the sea when a wave made me aware I had my glasses on. That is had, because they were gone.
    Did some searching (the water is pretty shallow at the beach) and quite to my big surprise I found them back after 5 minutes.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    3.46 GB

0 Not allowed!

Just tested it. One with an 18F that does not support the Extende Instruction set: OK. One with xinst default off: Ok. One with xinst default on: message appeared saying to switch it off.

Regards
    Harm

• Attention

Thread Information