Time divsion multipexing on ir signals

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Time divsion multipexing on ir signals1922 days old

Mark Harrington

0 Not allowed!

Default Time divsion multipexing on ir signals

I have an idea that I’d like to put together and could really do with some advice or some pointers on where to start with this

The challenge is as follows

I want to try and put a project together to interact with ir signals which will handle 4 or five ir signals This would be one signal pick up and relay the ir command to a central processing unit which the serves each ir command sent

My Example : A 4 bedroom house , one pick up in each room , commands then sent to some main processing unit which serves each data stream sent on timed period or time slice if you like
    Central processing unit would then operate some associated gadget with the sent commands
    Problem is : How do I deal with the probability of two or more persons sending ir simultaneously without missing commands
    One thought is to push this all on a stack of some type storing the commands sent in arrays then deal with each array in turn but due to the nature of IR in command which blocks until command sent I don’t feel this would be the right approach

Another thought is process each ir command then possibly send this out via rs232 or but there would still be that probability that a command might be missed giving rise to interpretation that the remote is not functioning correctly Any ideas would be welcomed or possible thoughts on this

It purely a theory exorcise at present to be later progressed to a fully functional hardware exorcise

My thoughts are as follows but i want to check with others to see that my thinking is correct Each room one PIC device on which is attached one IR receiver

Each room device then stores Ir code sent on that device

Each room device then polled to see if message new has arrived and then through selectable switching contained on main central processor unit instructions sent on timed basis and where new message has arrived told to send IR code received Main central processor deals with commands in turn on a rotational basis Anything that anyone could see at this stage as missing

Thinking about this a little more would Rs485 multi drop system be the answer to this ?

Would my basic process be correct ?

Thanking you

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Harrington; 1st March 2015 at 21:07.

2. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 91
    Given: 34
    Total Downloaded
    4.60 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: Time divsion multipexing on ir signals

Mark,
    There should be a local micro in each bedroom that decodes the IR then stores the value in a variable.
    Each remote unit uses hrsout to talk to a central micro via a CMOS switch.
    The central micro polls each local micro via the CMOS switched ports after it raises the appropriate handshaking line which also controls the CMOS switches. I use a 4066b for this which is an analogue switch but there are also digital switches that may be better.
    That's the basic idea.
    John

4. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Mark Harrington

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: Time divsion multipexing on ir signals

Cheers John i thought my basic thinking might have been partially correct thank you for the advice
    On to the drawing as they say lol ought to be fun

6. Attention

Thread Information