+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anybody used the ADS1115 16bit A/D?1755 days old

Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 95
    Total Downloaded
    1.32 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Anybody used the ADS1115 16bit A/D?

Hi All

Has anyone used the ADS1115 16bit A/D converter?

It looks pretty easy but if someone has the i2c code to share then its going to be a big saving of time..

Many thanks

Tim
    Tim

Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 54
    Total Downloaded
    2.16 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: Anybody used the ADS1115 16bit A/D?

Hi Tim-
    I was just about to ask the same question about the MCP3428 16 bit A/D converter. The specs between the two look very similar. The ADS1115 is smaller, faster, and more expensive. The MCP3428 has differential inputs. I've got to stick with the lower cost device. When I get the code working I'll post it here.

-Rick

• Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.32 GB

0 Not allowed!

Hi Rick

The ADS1115 has differential inputs as well the ADS1113 does not. But they will not go negative to Grnd, not that it's an issue for me.

In direct mode its only 15 bit but I think I can ground the -side to Grnd and get the full 16 bits.

Speed though is an issue I want to sample at 100hz.

When I have my code done I will post as well. I only went for the ADS... as there is a pre build demo board from adafruits.

Cheers

Tim
    Tim

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 290
    Given: 141
    Total Downloaded
    1.68 GB

1 Not allowed!

Tim. Try this set of routines I knocked up based upon the convoluted Adafruit C routines.

The Arduino library uses a very peculiar, and massively inefficient, interface for I2C so I'm not sure if I got the Bus commands correct, as I only glanced at the datasheet for the device.

The code is totally untested, so there are bound to be problems with it. But it should give clues to the use of the ADC

ADS1015 and ADS1115 16-bit ADC Experimental Routines
    Last edited by top204; 28th January 2015 at 22:39.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.32 GB

0 Not allowed!

Cheers Les

Very much appreciated. Its been a long time since I started a new project so the gray cells are rusty.. Its going to save me a load of initial work. I will let you know how I get on in a few days when the dev boards arrived and I tidy my office..

OK I see they its Proton24 code. I will need to do some conversion or just start again in proton.

Tim
    Last edited by Tim; 28th January 2015 at 23:02.
    Tim

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 71
    Given: 26
    Total Downloaded
    6.08 GB

0 Not allowed!

Hi Tim,

Searched for an ADS1115 on this forum and this is the only thread that came up.

How did it worked for you please?
    Regards

Joseph

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.32 GB

0 Not allowed!

Hi Joseph

I will have to hunt through my code and memory to figure out what I was using it for so I can see what I have in code.

Tim
    Tim

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0
    Total Downloaded
    223.72 MB

0 Not allowed!

Might I suggest an LTC1864 as it is an 16 bit upgrade for the well known 12 bit LTC1286 in which there is alot of code been written over the years. How ever I would prefer the LTC2337 as it is 18 bits. All devices are available in SO-8 packages.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    6.08 GB

0 Not allowed!

Thank you Tim. Looking forward.

Dave, I have a couple of ADS1115 breakout boards which like to use them. However, thank you for pointing me to new devices.
    Regards

Joseph

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Total Downloaded
    223.72 MB

0 Not allowed!

The reason I mentioned them is that they have a much faster conversion rate compared to the ADS1115 that Tim has mentioned. It you are OK with the conversion rate, then it shouldn't be a job to send SPI data to and from the ADS1115.
    Last edited by Dave Purola; 13th October 2019 at 20:41.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    6.08 GB

0 Not allowed!

So I have tried Les code, but I am using an 18F26K22 and a 4MHz crystal

I used the original I2C routines, so removed the: -

Code:
    Include "Bus.inc"               ' Load the replacement Busin and Busout routines
    Connected the ADDR to GND, so I am on address 0.

Code compiles ok, but results always 2056, for all of the 3 readings.

I2C is a black art for me, so any help is appreciated to get this thing going.

It looks that the 2nd and 3rd results are for difference of analog readings. All I am interested is to have an analog reading on all 4 pins. How can I achieve that please?
    Regards

Joseph

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    6.08 GB

0 Not allowed!

Some progress.

I did managed to get some readings. The problem with Les code was the address for the ADS1115 connected to GND.

Data sheet says: - %1001000

and I think Les interpreted it as $48, (Even me I would done it: - %01001000)

However, going through some C code, I learned that it should be %10010000 or $90.

Now that I got it going, I connected this board to a 18F26K22 to a 5v supply. Now I thought that I should have reading that goes from 0 to 65535.

But I am getting reading ranging from 27 to 27560, 27 @ 0v and 27560 @ 5v.

As I understand it, this ADS1115 is a 15-bit with the 16th bit used for the sign.

Am I correct to say that I am seeing 27560 @ 5v because the ADS1115 is configured to measure 6.144v?

Can I from a 5v supply measure 6.144v?

Attached is code I am using.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Regards

Joseph

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 59
    Total Downloaded
    330.54 MB

0 Not allowed!

As I understand it, this ADS1115 is a 15-bit with the 16th bit used for the sign
    It's standard 2's compliment representation, where max pos = 0x7FFF and max neg = 0x8000

Can I from a 5v supply measure 6.144v?
    No.
    From the datasheet "This parameter expresses the full-scale range of the ADC scaling.
    No more than VDD + 0.3 V must be applied to the analog inputs of the device"

It means that full scale 0x7FFF (32767) represents +6.144V. and each bit is 187.5uV

But I am getting reading ranging from 27 to 27560, 27 @ 0v and 27560 @ 5v.
    Am I correct to say that I am seeing 27560 @ 5v because the ADS1115 is configured to measure 6.144v?
    That sounds about right. 27560 x 187.5uV = 5.16V

• Attention

Thread Information