RS232 Serial I/O Creating my own protocol/commands

+ Reply to Thread
    t0pP8uZz

0 Not allowed!

Default RS232 Serial I/O Creating my own protocol/commands

Okay so my main logic board is controller via a host computer connected via rs232 serial. Now everything is working great.

Since i have alot of commands i want to issue the PIC, i want to create me own protocol/commands.. the problem im having is mixing hex codes with decimals.

For instance.. i want to be able to do the following..

Create a command header like: FF0B
    Then the next byte or 2 would be the command IE: 0F
    then the next bytes would be the decimal or text to send to the command.

Whats the best way of achieving this?

Of course my pic would need to read the serial hex, make sure the header is correct (FF0B) then check the if statements for command 0F, then pass the next bytes as decimals or text.

Sorry if i didnt explain clearly.
    -Jay

2. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

t0pP8uZz

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: RS232 Serial I/O Creating my own protocol/commands

So basically a way to check data integrity as I know some bytes are lost due to noise etc.

4. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 7
    Total Downloaded
    1.16 GB

0 Not allowed!

Hi,
    I am probably wrong on this bit but my take on it is, you can only send 8 bits at a time so the controller does not care if it recieves FF or 255, they are both the same. The only thing would be if you were sending ASCII.

This is the bit that concernes me
    So basically a way to check data integrity as I know some bytes are lost due to noise etc.
    Why do you think you would be losing bytes to noise, if this is the case then it might be worth looking at RS485 which is a differential bus and more resiliant to noise but where is the noise coming from in the first place. The other thing if you can control it is the baud rate, slower should be more tolerant.

Regards,
    Bob

6. Attention

t0pP8uZz

0 Not allowed!

Thanks for the reply.

Okay well i just reading about serial communication and it seems that its almost a must to have some kind of crc checksum to make sure the data didnt change as bits cant be flipped a number of ways (noise etc) as far as i know there isnt any noise in my system, but these particula commands are controlling a money coin payout hopper... so as you could imagine any kind of change to the sent packet/data could be dangerous in financial terms.

Also how do we work directly with hex in Proton? Lets say i sent the hex bytes FF FF via serial. can i check them in the pic like if Var1 = FF

8. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 7
    Total Downloaded
    1.16 GB

0 Not allowed!

Hi,
    Look under Numeric representation in the compiler manual, for decimal you do not need to do anything, for hex you put the $ sign in front IE $FF.
    As for errors, you could try looking for parity checking, someone might have done it.

Regards,
    Bob
    Last edited by RGV250; 2nd February 2014 at 19:26.

10. Attention

t0pP8uZz

0 Not allowed!

Cheers Bob, that helps alot.

-Jay

12. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 40
    Total Downloaded
    3.45 GB

0 Not allowed!

Jay

I wrote an article for the Wiki about creating a protocol for exactly the thing you are doing. But I can't now find it! It's in there somewhere. I'll keep looking and let you know if I find it.

Charlie

14. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    3.45 GB

0 Not allowed!

Last edited by joesaliba; 5th February 2014 at 06:19.

16. Attention

t0pP8uZz

0 Not allowed!

I haven't taken a look yet. But... That's great! So excited to have a read

Thanks a lot!
    Jay

18. Attention

t0pP8uZz

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by charliecoultas View Post
    Jay

I wrote an article for the Wiki about creating a protocol for exactly the thing you are doing. But I can't now find it! It's in there somewhere. I'll keep looking and let you know if I find it.

Charlie
    Hey thanks for linking me to your article on the transmission protocol.

How come you recive each byte one by one in the interrupt? Im using a RS232 Serial com, would it not be better to recieve the packet data all at once using RSIn?

Then decipher the packet and check the integrity from there. Could use an interrupt to detect only when data is coming in.

20. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    3.45 GB

0 Not allowed!

I found it easier that way. I did try receiving lots of bytes into a buffer then try to sort it out, but doing it as each byte comes in seemed simpler. You can do it any way you like of course. Are you nearer a solution to your problem?

Charlie

22. Attention

t0pP8uZz

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by charliecoultas View Post
    I found it easier that way. I did try receiving lots of bytes into a buffer then try to sort it out, but doing it as each byte comes in seemed simpler. You can do it any way you like of course. Are you nearer a solution to your problem?

Charlie
    Ah right, Yeah that article really helped out. I think i was overthinking the situation.

Cheers

Jay

24. Attention

Thread Information