Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 38
    Total Downloaded
    11.51 GB

0 Not allowed!

Post Can't use the proteus ISISserial LCD display

Hello Proton's people.

I donít know where Iím going wrong I cannot make the LCD display to work properly with that simple test program below:

'simple LCD program test
    Device = 12F1501
    Xtal 4
    TRISA = %00000000 'output
    Declare LCD_Lines = 4
    Declare LCD_Type = 0
    Dim I As Word

Declare Serial_Baud = 9600
    Declare Rsout_Pin = PORTA.5
    Declare Rsout_Mode = TRUE
    Declare Rsout_Pace = 10

Again:

I=I + 1
    Print 1,1, "I= ", Dec I
    DelayMS 200

GoTo Again
    End

I just optain giberish characters. the ISIS LCD(MILFORD-4X20-BKP) is set to ther right 9600 baud. Really don't know where I;m going wrong. I have also tried other chip like the 16F84 same thing. Vterm also give me giberish display. Thank you for your help. I have attached a print screen of the schematic.Many thanks for your help.

Best regards to all.

Yves

NB: the circuit flashes LED allright.

2. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 183
    Total Downloaded
    5.30 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: Can't use the proteus ISISserial LCD display

Parity, stop bits, number of bits?

4. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 337
    Given: 161
    Total Downloaded
    1.99 GB

0 Not allowed!

There are mixed meanings in the above code. The stated LCD seems to be a serial input type, however, the program is using the Print command, which is intended for parallel LCDs. You'll never get 9600 baud serial data using the Print command!!!! The LCD declares are also redundant if using a serial LCD. Even if using a parallel LCD, there is a missing "At" directive for positioning. The End command is also redundant, because there is a loop to "Again" before it.

There is so much wrong with the above code, I strongly suggest reading the compiler's manual.
    Last edited by top204; 9th November 2013 at 20:27.

6. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    11.51 GB

0 Not allowed!

Many thanks Les and Towlerg. I believe I set it to 8 bit no parity and 1 stop bit(8N1) at 9600 bauds I have now written the small code below it compiles successfully but when I pass it to the licensed Proteus 8 simulator, I'm not getting any display of the results. I tried inverted and also with various baud rates too but in vain. Where am I going wrong? I have attached the code and the ISIS circuit. Please remove the .txt on the file named:12F1501 LCD_sym.txt.pdsprj.txt, it is the Proteus simulator file. Many thanks.
    Regards,
    Yves

'simple LCD program test

Device = 12F1501
    Xtal 8
    Dim I As Word
    Declare Serial_Data 8 ' Set Serout and Serin data bits to 8 (default)

SerOut PORTA.5, 16468 ,[Cls]
    DelayMS 500

Again:

I=I + 1
    SerOut PORTA.5, 16468 ,[At 1,1, "I= ", Dec I," "]
    DelayMS 100

GoTo Again

8. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    11.51 GB

0 Not allowed!

Not sure how to attach the files
    Yves

10. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.99 GB

0 Not allowed!

I don't have the latest Isis version that contains the 12F1501 device, however, all enhanced 14-bit core devices follow the same rules, so an example for one will work for another as long as peripherals are switched off, especially with 8-pin devices that can have a lot of multiplexing on pins.

I noticed in the above code that the pin used for transmission is PORTA.5. Make sure this is not an analogue pin, if so, make it digital.

A tested example is shown below for the 16F1516:

Code:
        Device = 16F1516
        Declare Xtal = 4
        Declare Optimiser_Level = 1

Declare Serial_Baud = 9600
        Declare Rsout_Pin = PORTA.5
        Declare Rsout_Mode = 0
        Declare Rsout_Pace = 1000   
    '
    ' Make analogue pins digital
    '
        ADCON1 = 15
        ANSELA = 0
        ANSELB = 0
        ANSELC = 0

While
            RSOut "Hello World"
            DelayMS 256
        Wend
    I don't have a datasheet for the Milford serial LCD, so I cannot refine the code, but it definitely displays "Hello World" all over it within the Isis simulator.
    Last edited by top204; 10th November 2013 at 09:39.

12. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    11.51 GB

0 Not allowed!

Les,
    Thank you for your reply. I copied and past your code into Proton compiler and create a simulation with Proteus 8 and 7 with the 16F1516, but still have gibberish display. If you like I could send you the iSIS ver. 7 for you to try on your system just to make sure that is my system that is playing tricks before I check with Labcenter. If I knew how to attach these type of document. Or maybe better would you be kind enough to send me your ASIS file to me. Many thanks for your time.

Kind regards,

Yves

14. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.99 GB

0 Not allowed!

I guarantee that the above program is working in version 7.9 of Isis.

Make sure you have the oscillator set to 4MHz in the microcontroller model, and the baud rate set correctly on the LCD model.
    Last edited by top204; 10th November 2013 at 19:23.

16. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    11.51 GB

0 Not allowed!

Hello Les,
    You were right (as always), I had to manually set up the frequency to the processor on the simulator too. Now the serial display works fine. Many thanks for your support.

On other subject do you know that Proteus 8 has changed the file extension to *.pdsprj. In Proteus 7.xxx it was *.DSN so now you canít use the Compile and program to VSM option that was exporting the code to the simulator. It is a petty as it was quite handy. Now you have to manually import the file first to the processor. Is anything is on the line to get that function back?
    Kind regards,
    Yves

18. Attention

Thread Information