PICKit2 clone - hex file and device type transfer from Proton.

+ Reply to Thread
    david

0 Not allowed!

Default PICKit2 clone - hex file and device type transfer from Proton.

Hi,
    I recently purchased a PICKit2 clone that uses Microchip's software but I can't send the hex file (or device type) to the application.
    Since it seems I'm one of the last people on earth to buy a PICKit2 I thought this topic may have come up before.
    Normnet posted a set up config for Proton and while the PICKit2 application starts up it wouldn't transfer the hex file.
    Is anyone else doing it without problems or do we revert to the "Auto import hex" button on the PICKit2?

Cheers,
    David

2. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

wastrix

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: PICKit2 clone - hex file and device type transfer from Proton.

Assuming you're using PK2CMD, try this: pk2cmd -PPIC$target-device$ -F$hex-filename$ -E -M -J -H1 -R

The PK2CMD app itself will tell you the full list of arguments. I know -Hx specifies to leave the window open for x seconds.

4. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 79
    Given: 46
    Total Downloaded
    1.40 GB

0 Not allowed!

You could try FineLineIDE with it's preconfigured programmer settings.
    You will have to download the programmer exe and link to it however.

Norm

6. Attention

david

0 Not allowed!

Hi,
    Many thanks for your replies.
    wastrix - your config is very similar to the one normnet posted some time back but I still seem to be goofing it up. I'm sure I have set things up in the Compile and program options in Proton so I'm wondering if there is something in the PICKit2 set up I'm missing. I don't think clone hardware could get in the way .....could it? The clone is an iCP01 - V2.0

normnet - I'll have a look at the link you provided - there are some nice features in the line up quite apart from the programmer options.

Cheers,
    David

8. Attention

wastrix

0 Not allowed!

Can you make it work by typing the command into the command prompt manually? Are there any error messages?

10. Attention

david

0 Not allowed!

Hello wastrix,
    Thanks for your continued support but I was blissfully unaware of PK2CMD and only now realize it's a critical part of the process.
    I've installed the download in the same folder as the PICkit 2 v2 but still can't get the hex file or device type to transfer to the programmer.
    If I try to open the pk2cmd application I just briefly get a very fast scrolling command prompt box that quickly closes again.

Am I getting warm yet? It's not a show stopper as I can manually locate the file and load it but my old amateur supported programmer did it easily.

Cheers,
    David

12. Attention

wastrix

0 Not allowed!

Have you selected the new directory in which PK2CMD resides in the install new programmer wizard?

14. Attention

david

0 Not allowed!

Hi wastrix,
    I let my son in Berlin VNC in to my laptop here in Auckland and he now has it running in the command line interface.
    I asked if the programmer application itself could be run but he seemed to think there is a device file incompatibility between the PICkit2 programmer (V2.61) and the PK2CMD (V1 -20)
    I was testing using a 16F88 and it programs OK as per the CLI but without the PICkit2 application you can't conveniently change config settings.
    It gets worse - I eventually want to use a 12LF1840. This is in the PICkit2 device files but not in the PK2CMD device files.

There's a bit about it here-
    http://www.microchip.com/forums/m487219-print.aspx

Perhaps someone can confirm if this is the case. I'm surprised - the 12F1840 has been around for a while and the PK2CMD seems to be a bit of a token effort by Microchip.

Cheers,
    David

16. Attention

Prolific Poster
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 80
    Given: 182
    Total Downloaded
    5.30 GB

0 Not allowed!

You don't have to run pk2cmd. I leave Pickit2v2 (the gui version) running in the background and after compiling either manually select the .HEX file or rely on the automatic process.

If you click on the "Auto Import Hex + Write device" button, the .HEX file will be monitored and if it changes the new code is automatically programmed into your target device. To save on unnecessary programming on failed compiles, you can add the command "Declare Keep_Hex_File = On" and the compiler will leave the previous .HEX file untouched.

Given the utility (logic analyzer and UART tool) and price of the PicKit2, you will not regret the purchase.

If you google around you will find tools to add devices and new device tables for both versions of PicKit2 software.

George
    Last edited by towlerg; 5th August 2014 at 14:42.

18. Attention

Thread Information