Oh No not interrupts again. Change on PortB

+ Reply to Thread
    mikedownunder

0 Not allowed!

Default Oh No not interrupts again. Change on PortB

Hi Guys

As you can see from the title I am having problems.
    This is my very first time playing with interrupts. I have managed to put it off since joining in March 2002.

Anyway, what I am trying to achieve is this.
    I have 7 pushbuttons placed on Port B using the internal pullups.
    All I want to do is, when any of the buttons are pressed, then the program simply goes to a routine to handle them.
    Simple really (NOT)

I have searched forum threads and also looked on the WIKI, but I still can't grasp the procedure.

Using a 18F452 (because I have some) with the latest software updates.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

2. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

PA1OKZ

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: Oh No not interrupts again. Change on PortB

What about this? I can't believe there is nothing usable in there...

http://www.protonbasic.co.uk/content.php/289

4. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

mikedownunder

0 Not allowed!

Hi

As I said I did a search on the Forum and the WIKI, but I still can't grasp the concept of how they work.
    Nor how I could adapt something to my cause.

Thanks
    Mike

6. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 361
    Given: 173
    Total Downloaded
    2.08 GB

0 Not allowed!

A PORTB change interrupt will only work with bits 4 to 7 of PORTB. The other bits of PORTB would need their own INTx interrupt.

Why not implement a timer overflow interrupt every xxx ms, then within the interrupt, monitor the state of PORTB's pins. If the interrupt is only used for human interaction. i.e. buttons, approx 100ms will suffice for the scanning interrupt rate. Flags can then be set within the interrupt, indicating that a button press took place. The individual flag will be reset in the main program loop once it has been handled.

8. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    2.08 GB

0 Not allowed!

Here's a very simple program to scan PORTB using a Timer0 overflow interrupt that sets flags to indicate keypress events, with a simple debounce mechanism on each button.

Code:
    '
    ' Monitor the state of PORTB using a Timer0 overflow interrupt and set event flags accordingly
    ' Transmit the button pressed to the serial terminal operating at 9600 baud
    '
        Include "Amicus18.inc"                      ' Configure the compiler to use the Amicus18 hardware (18F25K20, 64MHz)
        Include "Amicus18_Timers.inc"               ' Load the Amicus18 Timer macros into the program

On_Hardware_Interrupt GoTo ISR_Handler
    '
    ' Create some variables
    '
        Dim bPortFlags As Byte System                ' Create a variable to use for flag bits
        Symbol tPin0 = bPortFlags.0
        Symbol tPin1 = bPortFlags.1
        Symbol tPin2 = bPortFlags.2

Dim Pin0_Debounce As Byte System            ' \
        Dim Pin1_Debounce As Byte System            ' | Create variables To use As debounce counters
        Dim Pin2_Debounce As Byte System            ' /

Symbol cDebounceTime = 3                    ' Initial debounce counter value

$ifndef False
        $define False 0
    $endif 
    $ifndef True
        $define True 1
    $endif 
    '--------------------------------------------------------------------  
        GoTo Main                                   ' Jump over the interrupt handler
    ' High Priority Hardware Interrupt Handler
    ' Interrupt's on a Timer0 Overflow
    ' Monitors the condition of PORTB and sets flags appropriately
    '
    ISR_Handler:
        Context Save
        If INTCONbits_TMR0IF = 1 Then                   ' Is it a Timer0 overflow that triggered the interrupt?
            '
            ' Check for a keypress on PORTB.0 (with debounce)
            '    
            If tPin0 = False Then                       ' Is the tPin0 flag false?
                If PORTB.0 = 0 Then                     ' Yes. So is PORTB.0 Low? 
                    Dec Pin0_Debounce                   ' Yes. so decrement the debounce counter
                    If Pin0_Debounce = 0 Then           ' Has the counter reached 0?
                        Pin0_Debounce = cDebounceTime   ' Yes. So reset it
                        If PORTB.0 = 0 Then             ' Is PORTB.0 still low?
                            tPin0 = True                ' Yes. So set the event flag
                        EndIf
                    EndIf
                EndIf
            Else                                        ' Otherwise. tPin0 is true So...
                Pin0_Debounce = cDebounceTime           ' Reset the debounce counter
            EndIf
            '
            ' Check for a keypress on PORTB.1 (with debounce)
            '     
            If tPin1 = False Then                       ' Is the tPin1 flag false?
                If PORTB.1 = 0 Then                     ' Yes. So is PORTB.1 Low? 
                    Dec Pin1_Debounce                   ' Yes. so decrement the debounce counter
                    If Pin1_Debounce = 0 Then           ' Has the counter reached 0?
                        Pin1_Debounce = cDebounceTime   ' Yes. So reset it
                        If PORTB.1 = 0 Then             ' Is PORTB.1 still low?
                            tPin1 = True                ' Yes. So set the event flag
                        EndIf
                    EndIf
                EndIf
            Else                                        ' Otherwise. tPin1 is true So...
                Pin1_Debounce = cDebounceTime           ' Reset the debounce counter
            EndIf
            '
            ' Check for a keypress on PORTB.2 (with debounce)
            '     
            If tPin2 = False Then                       ' Is the tPin2 flag false?
                If PORTB.2 = 0 Then                     ' Yes. So is PORTB.2 Low? 
                    Dec Pin2_Debounce                   ' Yes. so decrement the debounce counter
                    If Pin2_Debounce = 0 Then           ' Has the counter reached 0?
                        Pin2_Debounce = cDebounceTime   ' Yes. So reset it
                        If PORTB.2 = 0 Then             ' Is PORTB.2 still low?
                            tPin2 = True                ' Yes. So set the event flag
                        EndIf
                    EndIf
                EndIf
            Else                                        ' Otherwise. tPin2 is true So...
                Pin2_Debounce = cDebounceTime           ' Reset the debounce counter
            EndIf
            '
            ' Continue with as many PORT bits as required
            '
            Clear INTCONbits_TMR0IF                     ' Clear the Timer0 flag
        EndIf
        Context Restore                                 ' Exit the interrupt

' Main Program Loop
    ' Display a key press in the foreground while the interrupt works in the background
    '
    Main:
        Input PORTB                             ' Make PORTB an input
        INTCON2bits_RBPU = 0                    ' Enable PORTB pullup resistors

Pin0_Debounce = cDebounceTime           ' \
        Pin1_Debounce = cDebounceTime           ' | Set the debounce counters
        Pin2_Debounce = cDebounceTime           ' /
        bPortFlags = 0                          ' Reset the event flags
    '
    ' Configure Timer0 for:
    '                       Clear TMR0L\H registers
    '                       Interrupt on Timer0 overflow
    '                       16-bit operation
    '                       Internal clock source
    '                       1:8 Prescaler
    '
        OpenTimer0(TIMER_INT_ON & T0_16BIT & T0_SOURCE_INT & T0_PS_1_8)

Set INTCONbits_GIE                      ' Enable global interrupts

While 1 = 1                             ' Create an infinite loop
            If tPin0 = True Then                ' Has there been an event on PORTB.0?
                HRSOut "Pin 0 Pressed\r"        ' Yes. So transmit the button pressed message
                tPin0 = False                   ' Reset the event flag
            EndIf
            If tPin1 = True Then                ' Has there been an event on PORTB.1?
                HRSOut "Pin 1 Pressed\r"        ' Yes. So transmit the button pressed message
                tPin1 = False                   ' Reset the event flag
            EndIf
            If tPin2 = True Then                ' Has there been an event on PORTB.2?
                HRSOut "Pin 2 Pressed\r"        ' Yes. So transmit the button pressed message
                tPin2 = False                   ' Reset the event flag
            EndIf
            DelayMS 512                         ' Create a delay to simulate the program being busy
        Wend                                    ' Do it forever
    There are other ways to debounce switches and detect changes of pins, but the above code is very simple to follow and extend to other pins, and even though it looks like a lot going on in the interrupt, if no button is pressed, it's actually doing very little. Even when a button is pressed, the interrupt is not being over stretched.
    Last edited by top204; 27th October 2012 at 15:19.

10. Attention

mikedownunder

0 Not allowed!

Hi Les

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately I am not getting anywhere.

I have tried compiling your code as-is but I am getting a whole bunch of errors in Amicus18_Timers.inc
    These are mainly variables not found.

Could you please advise.

Thanks again

Mike

12. Attention

Kapitan

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by mikedownunder View Post
    Hi Les

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately I am not getting anywhere.

I have tried compiling your code as-is but I am getting a whole bunch of errors in Amicus18_Timers.inc
    These are mainly variables not found.

Could you please advise.

Thanks again

Mike
    Mike, compiles fine with latest PDS.
    What version are you using ?

14. Attention

mikedownunder

0 Not allowed!

Hi Joe

I am using the latest (I hope) 3.5.5.2

I tried again from scratch. Copied the above code, pasted it in and compiled. I get the same bunch of errors.

Weird huh!
    If you need the errors then I will list them, but there's about 20. Can't copy from error listing so I'll have to type them in.

First 2 are :-
    Line 180 Dim wTimerOM As TMROL.Word.
    ERROR [Line 180]: Variable type declaration missing or incorrect! (Amicus18_Timers.inc)

Line 201 Clear T0CON
    ERROR [Line 201]: Variable 'T0CON' not found! (Amicus18_Timers.inc)

Mike

16. Attention

PA1OKZ

0 Not allowed!

Hi Mike,

The latest PDS is 3.5.5.3, not 3.5.5.2 - although it might be that this doesn't cause the problems.

Did you completely uninstall your old version of PDS prior to install the latest version? It is clearly stated at the update page:

It is very important to uninstall any previous compiler versions (if possible) before installing version 3.5.5.3.
    Also, it is very important to delete the compiler's folder (ProtonIDE) from Program files, or Program Files (x86) if using Win7 64-bit.

18. Attention

mikedownunder

0 Not allowed!

Hi Jon

I thought that I had only upgraded a couple of weeks ago. My fault for not paying attention to the Forum.

Anyway I will DELETE and re-install the new compiler.

It will have to wait until tomorrow though as it's bedtime here.
    Thanks

Mike

20. Attention

mikedownunder

0 Not allowed!

Hi Guys

Well okz was right. I have now installed a clean new copy of the compiler V3.5.5.3.

The code that Les supplied now compiles OK.
    However if I try to change the Device and Xtal then I get errors again.

What I did was this.
    I did not change any of the original code.
    I made a backup of Amicus18.inc
    In there I cahnged Device to 18F452 and Xtal to 4Mhz. (Commented out the others)
    I also had to comment out the configs as they are not obviously for the 18F452.

CODE
    $ifndef _AMICUS18_INC
    $define _AMICUS18_INC
    '
    ' Header file for use with the Amicus18 board
    '
    ; Device = 18F25K20
    ; Declare Xtal = 64
    Declare Device = 18F452
    Declare
    Xtal = 4
    Declare
    Optimiser_Level = 2
    Declare
    Dead_Code_Remove = 1
    Declare
    Hserial_Baud = 9600 ' Set baud rate to 9600
    Declare Hserial_RCSTA = %10010000 ' Enable serial port and continuous receive
    Declare Hserial_TXSTA = %00100000 ' Enable transmit and asynchronous mode
    Declare Hserial_Clear = 1 ' Enable Error clearing on received characters
    'Config_Start
    ' Debug = OFF ' Background debugger disabled' RB6 and RB7 configured as general purpose I/O pins
    ' XINST = OFF ' Instruction set extension and Indexed Addressing mode disabled (Legacy mode)
    ' STVREN = OFF ' Reset on stack overflow/underflow disabled
    ' WDTEN = OFF ' WDT disabled (control is placed on SWDTEN bit)
    ' FCMEN = OFF ' Fail-Safe Clock Monitor disabled
    ' FOSC = HSPLL ' HS oscillator, PLL enabled and under software control
    ' IESO = OFF ' Two-Speed Start-up disabled
    ' WDTPS = 128 ' 1:128
    ' BOREN = OFF ' Brown-out Reset disabled in hardware and software
    ' BORV = 18 ' VBOR set to 1.8 V nominal
    ' MCLRE = On ' MCLR pin enabled, RE3 input pin disabled
    ' HFOFST = OFF ' The system clock is held off until the HF-INTOSC is stable.
    ' LPT1OSC = OFF ' T1 operates in standard power mode
    ' PBADEN = OFF ' PORTB<4:0> pins are configured as digital I/O on Reset
    ' CCP2MX = PORTC ' CCP2 input/output is multiplexed with RC1
    ' LVP = OFF ' Single-Supply ICSP disabled
    ' CP0 = OFF ' Block 0 (000800-001FFFh) not code-protected
    ' CP1 = OFF ' Block 1 (002000-003FFFh) not code-protected
    ' CPB = OFF ' Boot block (000000-0007FFh) not code-protected
    ' CPD = OFF ' Data EEPROM not code-protected
    ' WRT0 = OFF ' Block 0 (000800-001FFFh) not write-protected
    ' WRT1 = OFF ' Block 1 (002000-003FFFh) not write-protected
    ' WRTB = OFF ' Boot block (000000-0007FFh) not write-protected
    ' WRTC = OFF ' Configuration registers (300000-3000FFh) not write-protected
    ' WRTD = OFF ' Data EEPROM not write-protected
    ' EBTR0 = OFF ' Block 0 (000800-001FFFh) not protected from table reads executed in other blocks
    ' EBTR1 = OFF ' Block 1 (002000-003FFFh) not protected from table reads executed in other blocks
    ' EBTRB = OFF ' Boot block (000000-0007FFh) not protected from table reads executed in other blocks
    'Config_End
    Declare All_Digital = 1
    $endif

That's all I did and now I get the errors.

Doeas anybody have any idea s to what is going on? Because I don't!!!!

Thanks

Mike

22. Attention

PA1OKZ

0 Not allowed!

Probably this is a helpful link to enable easy CONFIG fuse configuration that can replace the ones from the example.

http://www.protonbasic.co.uk/content.php/2607-PIC-FuseConfigurator-Mk2

I didn't look at the details since you didn't name the errors you get, but when changing the device, you have to go trough the program to check whether you need to change SFR's as well as direct port-pins etc since each device is different of course.

Rgds,

Mischa

24. Attention

mikedownunder

0 Not allowed!

Hi Mischa

Couldn't see anything obvious.

But here is a list of the errors.
    Line 180 Dim wTimerOM as TMR0l.Word [Error line 180]: Variable type missing or incorrect! (Amicus18_Timers.inc)
    Line 201 Clear T0CON [Error Line 201]:Variable 'T0CON' not found! (Amicus18_Timers.inc)
    Line 205 Clear TMR0H [Error Line 205]:Variable 'TMR0H' not found! (Amicus18_Timers.inc)
    Line 206 Clear TMR0L [Error Line 206]:Variable 'TMR0L' not found! (Amicus18_Timers.inc)

etc. There are 20 errors in all, similar to this.

Help

Mike

26. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    2.08 GB

0 Not allowed!

Mike. The two major clues are in the lines of code shown below:

Code:
        Include "Amicus18.inc"                      ' Configure the compiler to use the Amicus18 hardware (18F25K20, 64MHz)
        Include "Amicus18_Timers.inc"               ' Load the Amicus18 Timer macros into the program
    As these lines show, the code was written for the Amicus18 hardware platform, and as such, use routines written for the device on it. i.e. PIC18F25K20

Within the IDE, click on:

Help->Documents->Using Amicus18 Hardware with Proton
    or
    Help->Documents->Amicus18 Companion Shield Manual - for Proton

Also see: http://www.myamicus.co.uk

In order to re-write the code for another device, you will need to re-create the code inside the includes but for the device being used.

To make life easier, I would recommend getting yourself an Amicus18 board.
    Last edited by top204; 27th October 2012 at 15:30.

28. Attention

mikedownunder

0 Not allowed!

Hi Les

Thanks for the reply.

That now makes a lot of sense. I guess Mischa was on the right track.

This will give me something to work with over next few days.

Thanks again

Mike

30. Attention

Thread Information