Help requested please - Pickit2 CLI problems

+ Reply to Thread
    Kapitan

0 Not allowed!

Default Help requested please - Pickit2 CLI problems

Hi all
    I have been using the pickit2 for over a year now - no problems at all.
    On a recent project though, using two boards hooked up via serial comms - one with 16F886 and the other with 16F917 - I came across a potentially damaging issue -

When I change the program in development, often it is changes to both units, so each is then hooked up to icsp and programmed.

I accidentally clciked compile and program on the wrong code, the 917 code - when actaully connected to the 886 - and the damn thing wrote the 917 code to the 886 !!! - as you can imagine, this causes rather a lot of 'issues'

I am using the CLI version of the pickit programmer -
    Any ideas please - I do not want to use the gui as the cli is so easy to use, but this situation is potentially damaging.

My command line in PDS is : pk2cmd -PPIC$target-device$ -F$hex-filename$ -E -M -J -H4 -R

If I replace PPIC$target-device$ with -P it autodetects, but still writes the wrong code. ??

2. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0
    Total Downloaded
    1.29 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: Help requested please - Pickit2 CLI problems

http://www.microchip.com/stellent/id...irects=pickit2

Listed below 'what's new' header

PK2CMDv1.20

look for command line section in this document

-I shows device name
    The -I command now displays the device name associated with the read
    Device ID, and warns if it is different from the selected device.

Might help. Might not.
    A wise man may listen and say nothing. A fool may listen and have nothing to say. Which one are you???

4. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Kapitan

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by bill9399 View Post
    http://www.microchip.com/stellent/id...irects=pickit2

Listed below 'what's new' header

PK2CMDv1.20

look for command line section in this document

-I shows device name
    The -I command now displays the device name associated with the read
    Device ID, and warns if it is different from the selected device.

Might help. Might not.
    Many thanks Bill, I have the document and perused it, but had not noticed that switch.
    It actually does what it says, - it 'warns' - unfortunately though - at the END of programming. - ie, it goes ahead and programs then says, oh, btw, there as a device difference....

Thanks for looking though
    Joe.

6. Attention

pverburg

0 Not allowed!

Hi Joe,
    you could add a test cmd like
    PK2cmd.exe -I
    pause
    pk2cmd -PPIC$target-device$ -F$hex-filename$ -E -M -J -H4 -R

Then you could ctrl-x out of the batch file or maybe you could check for the error code after the first line I can't test that here as I don't have a Pkit2.
    I know its a work around but will save you some problems.
    Paul V.

8. Attention

Kapitan

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by pverburg View Post
    Hi Joe,
    you could add a test cmd like
    PK2cmd.exe -I
    pause
    pk2cmd -PPIC$target-device$ -F$hex-filename$ -E -M -J -H4 -R

Then you could ctrl-x out of the batch file or maybe you could check for the error code after the first line I can't test that here as I don't have a Pkit2.
    I know its a work around but will save you some problems.
    Paul V.
    Hello Paul, thankyou ever so much for the response.
    There are a few issues though - maybe you can advise ?

Firstly, I have no control (that I am aware of) over the way the IDE passes the programmer details and switches via the CLI to the pickit2.
    Only in the view - compile and programmer options - programmer - settings. ?
    If one uses 'pause' it is not passed, I tried creating a bat file - but that did not work also.

10. Attention

pverburg

0 Not allowed!

Hi Joe,

replace pk2cmd.exe with batchfile.bat leave the rest as it was.

try this batch file:
    PK2cmd.exe -I
    pause
    rem pk2cmd -PPIC$target-device$ -F$hex-filename$ -E -M -J -H4 -R
    pk2cmd %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9
    echo %2
    echo %3
    echo %4
    echo %5
    echo %6
    echo %7
    echo %8
    echo %9
    pause

Should give you the idea how to work this.
    Last edited by pverburg; 4th December 2011 at 17:53.

12. Attention

Kapitan

0 Not allowed!

Hiya Paul

One problem is that the -I only works with a "target device" passed -

I get the following with your code -

c:\program files (x86)\microchip\pk2cmdv1-20>PK2cmd.exe -I

-P need specifying
    (If we use -P though Paul, it simply auto detects, (hence doesnt know there is a difference!) I tired to pass the -PPIC$target-device$ but that is unrecognised -

c:\program files (x86)\microchip\pk2cmdv1-20>pause
    Press any key to continue . . .

c:\program files (x86)\microchip\pk2cmdv1-20>rem pk2cmd -PPIC$target-device$ -F$
    hex-filename$ -E -M -J -H4 -R

c:\program files (x86)\microchip\pk2cmdv1-20>pk2cmd -FC:\Users\Mary\PDS\ST9319~1
    .HEX -E -M -J -H4 -R
    -P is a required option

c:\program files (x86)\microchip\pk2cmdv1-20>echo -FC:\Users\Mary\PDS\ST9319~1.H
    EX
    -FC:\Users\Mary\PDS\ST9319~1.HEX

c:\program files (x86)\microchip\pk2cmdv1-20>echo -E
    -E

c:\program files (x86)\microchip\pk2cmdv1-20>echo -M
    -M

c:\program files (x86)\microchip\pk2cmdv1-20>echo -J
    -J

c:\program files (x86)\microchip\pk2cmdv1-20>echo -H4
    -H4

c:\program files (x86)\microchip\pk2cmdv1-20>echo -R
    -R

c:\program files (x86)\microchip\pk2cmdv1-20>echo
    ECHO is on.

c:\program files (x86)\microchip\pk2cmdv1-20>echo
    ECHO is on.

If we can pass the target device parameter, I think you are onto a winner Paul !

thankyou kindly
    Joe
    Last edited by Kapitan; 5th December 2011 at 10:08.

14. Attention

pverburg

0 Not allowed!

Ok so this should be closer:

Each "%?" is what's passed on from the command line %1 is the batchfile name %2 in your case is -P???????? etc. etc.

PK2cmd.exe %2 -I
    pause
    pk2cmd.exe %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9
    pause

Paul V.
    Last edited by pverburg; 5th December 2011 at 17:32. Reason: %2 explanation

16. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0
    Total Downloaded
    1.29 GB

0 Not allowed!

Keep in mind you can also use conditional statements in batch files, such as

IF %n ==
    do something
    ELSE
    do something else
    END IF

Note. DOS statements are not case sensitive.

More information here

http://www.computerhope.com/overview.htm
    A wise man may listen and say nothing. A fool may listen and have nothing to say. Which one are you???

18. Attention

Kapitan

0 Not allowed!

Thanks guys, will report back - have had lack of emptynet for the last day - but seems to be back on now - it is difficult in the middle of the Pacific (according to JTabb lol)

Greatly appreciated !!!

20. Attention

Kapitan

0 Not allowed!

A first solution, many thanks indeed to Paul (Pverberg) - I made a few small changes - end result -? - it WORKS!!!!

; Bat File -
    PK2cmd.exe %1 -I
    pause
    pk2cmd.exe %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8

;PDS settings -
    programmer filename = pk2cmd.bat

Parameters = -PPIC$target-device$ -F$hex-filename$ -E -M -J -H4 -R

It darn well works great Paul !! - you are 'da man' !!!!

CTRL X does not work as the window is not highlighted, but it does fully warn of a clash ! - it is simple to click the 'X' - close window button -
    It would be great to add an option to NOT continue if that was possible - but I know I am asking for 'Jam' on it lol - it is super as it is .

As an example- trying to program a 16F886 with 16F917 code produces the following in the CMD window -

c:\program files (x86)\microchip\pk2cmdv1-20>PK2cmd.exe -PPIC16F917 -I
    Device ID = 2060
    Revision = 0002
    Device Name = PIC16F886 !WARNING! -P device mismatch

Operation Succeeded

(That is using the above code)

Again, you da man !!!

22. Attention

Kapitan

0 Not allowed!

just a point Paul, is not %1 the FIRST parameter after the BAT file name ?

Joe.

24. Attention

pverburg

0 Not allowed!

Your right looking at your output I'm sure at some time you could get the bat file name maybe %0 ?
    Now that this part works have a look at %errorlevel% after the -I command line
    ie
    PK2cmd.exe %1 -I
    echo %ERRORLEVEL%
    pause
    if %ERRORLEVEL% == ????? goto display error line then end?
    You can test with an if statement and jump over the program line.

26. Attention

Kapitan

0 Not allowed!

Hi Paul
    many thanks again, will experiment later and report back -
    thanks to your good self and Bill we have a working solution. I will put something up on the wiki when completed with full credits to you guys.

Joe.

28. Attention

Kapitan

0 Not allowed!

Hi Paul
    the error level returned on both success and failure is '00' - as it is not an error (to the pickit) it is a warning -

is there any way we can pick out the message IF there is a warning - as in -

"Device Name = PIC16F886 !WARNING! -P device mismatch"

??
    Joe.

30. Attention

Thread Information