[SOLVED !] 5 (yes FIVE !) simultaneous PWM outputs - code included - 16F1939 - Page 2

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    J. Mark Wolf

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: 5 (yes FIVE !) simultaneous PWM outputs - code included - 16F1939

Quote Originally Posted by xldaedalus View Post
    Also, Wolfman, don't think its a good idea to mix multiple frequencies of PWM if you are driving MOSFETs on the same PCB, especially if driving high loads. Its OK if they all come ON at the same time and OFF and different times, but if you have one come on after another one is already on, you can get some funny ground path problems. In fact, there is usually "Deadband" control in multiple PWM chips to insure all outputs are OFF before any TURN ON at the start of the next period.

At least this is my understanding. Perhaps someone knows better....

Probably....

Lee
    Not driving FET's, just making sounds.

Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0
    Total Downloaded
    1.06 GB

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by J. Mark Wolf View Post
    Have you looked at the 'simple SID chip emulator' posted as Sticky, by Les, in this section of the forum? Way to go if you want sounds.
    Last edited by bill9399; 22nd November 2011 at 20:26.
    A wise man may listen and say nothing. A fool may listen and have nothing to say. Which one are you???

• Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Kapitan

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by xldaedalus View Post

Looking forward to trying 16F1939. I have one question, if you have time. Why would Microchip make such a valueable chip as a 16F or 14bit part instead of an 18F or 16bit part? Is there any disadvantage to using the 16f part or the 18F46k22.

Also, check out the 10F320. 16mHz internal oscillator and a PWM module in 6 pins. I was thinking of using multiples of them to drive PWM controlled via SPI voltage divider using the ADC. But its a lot of extra work for ??? Also don't know if the new compiler ver. will handle it.

Will soon find out. I hope...

Thanks again for your help.

Lee
    No worries Lee, glad to help where I can -
    We use the 16F1939 primaraly due to the custom lcd driver module built in - I cannot see an 18F part that has this - also the price in volume.
    The features are absolutey fantastic, but is does take a while to get your head around the datasheet (or it does for me lol) -
    there are other things we havent even explored yet such as a dac output - multiple vref internally - sr latch (555 timer emulator ! seriously)- cap touch -
    Up to 32 Mhz int osc ! - internal temp sensor etc etc -
    we use 5 pwms, custom lcd module, internal contrast control, 9 adcs,

as for why Mchip do this - only they could answer that -
    yes - it is a tad slower than an 18F, users more code space than an 18F, but that is of no real issue in the use I am putting it to. - it has plently of ocde space, and plenty of speed if needed. All in all a really superb unit. I am a convert to it and the tqfp 44 pin unit is only about the size of your thumb nail..

• Attention

Kapitan

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by J. Mark Wolf View Post
    Hi Wolfman - just checked against the datasheet, yes, I believe you could use up to 3 pwm's with individual frequency (you can only use timers 2/4/6) but they are selectable as to which pwm uses what.

what sort of sounds are you looking for - as there may be toher ways - even the sid as Bill9399 suggested + or just timers etc ?

• Attention

J. Mark Wolf

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by captainslarty View Post
    Hi Wolfman - just checked against the datasheet, yes, I believe you could use up to 3 pwm's with individual frequency (you can only use timers 2/4/6) but they are selectable as to which pwm uses what.

what sort of sounds are you looking for - as there may be toher ways - even the sid as Bill9399 suggested + or just timers etc ?
    Oh, I agree, it should be possible. I was just unsuccessful. I couldn't get the config right if I remember correctly, until I tried the "other" popular compiler, which is where I left it.

I keep hoping someone on this forum will come up with the config solution, so I can port the program back to "this" compiler. Maybe I'll revisit it as my one of my winter projects.

My application was mixing two different tones from the HPWM's, then modulating this "mix" with a half sine wave generated from the DAC. Works good on the 16F1827, albeit on the "other" popular compiler.

• Attention

Kapitan

0 Not allowed!

JM,
    the details are in the code I uploaded
    Look at the settings for ccptmrs0 and 1, also the tXCON reg setting and the PR

also CCPTMRS0 and CCPTMRS1 registers in the data sheet, and in the code, also you will need to set up the PRX register and TXCON reg's where X = 2 4 or 6

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 39
    Total Downloaded
    3.45 GB

0 Not allowed!

Joe,

Is your design using constant current? If so, how are you doing it with PWM?

Best regards
    Charlie

• Attention

Kapitan

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by charliecoultas View Post
    Joe,

Is your design using constant current? If so, how are you doing it with PWM?

Best regards
    Charlie
    Hi Charlie, constant V not Current - ! we are using it dim lcd colours via fets, (3) - also main led rail via Pfet - the 5th was used as an lcd contrast control but no longer needed - now spare...

• Attention

Thread Information