Anyone interested in sharing costs ad ideas for an 18F87J50 breakout unit, ?

+ Reply to Thread
    Kapitan

0 Not allowed!

Default Anyone interested in sharing costs ad ideas for an 18F87J50 breakout unit, ?

Hi all
    Like many here (I presume?). My main use of PDS if for personal project development.
    Send a few boards to a few friends etc. Develop custom units for other people. Uusally one off, or limited runs.
    This limits me to using, for the most part, veroboard etc.

I would love to have the flexibility to use one type of micro, for example, the 18F87J50, 80 pin, feature packed, quick, loads of flash and memory and great price,
    Trouble is, it is SMT...

What I would like to do is to produce a pcb, with an 18F87J50. but, with breakout plated through holes for normal 0.1" pitch headers and connections.
    This is a USB pic, but also an incredible unit for anything, even if not usb.
    I could see myself using this, for virtually all projects, as a hobby user mainly, because overkill is great

I would envisage the breakout board to have the following... as an idea..

XTAL (12 Mhz)
    3.3V reg
    Jumper select for usb or other power.
    Jumper select for VUSB cap.
    Perhaps a mini B usb connector ?
    Space for a standard max 232, or smt version on board ? , jumper select.
    ICSP plated through holes for connector.
    Mclr

All pins brought out to 0.1" plated holes for using vero, headers, etc.

Anyone interested in sharing costs to have a batch made ?
    I think it would be a great thing to have total overkill, an 80 pin device, loads of features and easy to integrate.
    Again, for home constructors or hobby users.

I don't see it as being too expensive to produce if costs were shared. ?

Anyone interested ?

It could also support 8722 and similar..

Joe.

2. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 7
    Total Downloaded
    1.16 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: Anyone interested in sharing costs ad ideas for an 18F87J50 breakout unit, ?

4. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 58
    Total Downloaded
    2.38 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: Anyone interested in sharing costs ad ideas for an 18F87J50 breakout unit, ?

Hi Joe-
    I use a lot of these: http://www.mikroe.com/eng/products/v...pic-mcu-cards/
    They have a really nice development board too: http://www.mikroe.com/eng/products/v...opment-system/
    We actually ended up using some of their adapter boards in one of our products.

-Rick

6. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 15
    Total Downloaded
    434.52 MB

0 Not allowed!

Hi Joe,

While it's a grand idea, and you can get some boards suitable for more than one app, the problem is always that there are such a veriety of uses that you can never make the ideal PCB.

I actually had one of my less electronically gifted friends asking for a board that is completely universal. Tried many times but to date unsuccessfull.
    Fanie

8. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 31
    Total Downloaded
    926.61 MB

0 Not allowed!

Hi Joe,

If you are going to go to the trouble of making a board, why not add as much stuff on it as possible, else you might find it cheaper to use adapters like Rick and Bob suggested. That way, you don't need a HUGE breadboard to interconnect all the interfaces. Maybe a LCD, RTC , a few pots, serial ports etc.. You don't have to populate all of it, but it would make it more flexible.

10. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 15
    Total Downloaded
    434.52 MB

0 Not allowed!

I know a hobby guy who did just that. He made a motherboard and then any other function he wanted he just plugged into the motheboard.
    Fanie

12. Attention

Kapitan

0 Not allowed!

Thanks for the replies guys,
    The link in Rick's post is almost exactly what I had drawn Same connector layout for breakout etc ! and just the sort of thing I had in mind.
    I am not in any way trying to make a board to do all things, just to support, really, the processor and basic support circuitry. That way I can still use good old vero, and sue the latest smt processors as a plugin module, or via header cables, either way.
    The type of board Rick links to, with a few additions, would be perfect.
    I still think the mini usb (SMT again) and 3.3vreg, SMT, would be most useful additions, along with icsp, external voltage input if not usb, mclr circuitry and jumper, an usb cap and jumper. Possibly one led or two, again, jumpered.
    http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/e...Doc/51678a.pdf

If you look at his unit, the scematic is at the bottom of the small pdf, and remove the circuitry for support of the ICD and HPC count board also some of the test poins and buttons, then you end up with exactly the thing I am thinking of, and looking like Ricks link,

Also, how easy is ist to actually solder these damn things , I was thinking of having the board populated by company in the uk that was listed to in a previous thread (purely the smt parts popluated!.
    Joe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pim.jpg‎   emptymcucards_550_1.jpg‎  

14. Attention

wastrix

0 Not allowed!

Also, how easy is ist to actually solder these damn things , I was thinking of having the board populated by company in the uk that was listed to in a previous thread (purely the smt parts popluated!.
    Manually soldering QFPs is easier than you might think, and it is well documented on the internet. There are various methods for doing it, but the one I used before getting a reflow oven was to run over the pins and pads with a flux pen, tack the chip in place, get a small amount of solder on the tip of the iron and then just run over each side of pins. You will probably get a few solder bridges (particularly on the fine pitch ICs) but these can easily be removed with wick.

I actually find soldering SMD passive components more difficult because of how fiddly it is to keep them in place. Down to 0805 is OK, 0603 is pretty difficult, 0402 be very careful, 0201 don't even think about it

16. Attention

ADLIN SYSTEMS

0 Not allowed!

google schmartboards ready made smt boards.

18. Attention

Kapitan

0 Not allowed!

@William,
    Thanks Was' I have actually done it before (about 6 years ago ! and the pin spacing on the J series is half that of the DDFS!), on a AD direct digital freq synth, and it was rather difficult, but did work..
    I am thinking on the lines of a complete board apart from any through hole standard stuff. I have have no idea yet about prices.
    The link See Mos posted looked great, ( in another thread) I may speak to the chap he linked to to get ideas,
    Maybe look at, say, 25, 50 or 100 boards. all depends on the price and if others were interested, I would certaily be up for 10 to the spec I quoted.
    Maybe I am being unrealistic in cost terms , I dont know ? .

Joe

Another thing is ? .. as far as certification for items etc, if you are selling a 'hobby' board, do you need any form of certification, compliance testing etc? .

20. Attention

Thread Information