[SOLVED !] Photosensitive PCB media

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photosensitive PCB media3318 days old

wastrix

0 Not allowed!

Default Photosensitive PCB media

Hi all,

I have been having issues making a particular prototype PCB design recently. Usually, I use Kinsten presensitised board and expose it through a normal acetate transparency. However, this design is larger than my other artworks and I have had significant problems because of the transparency crinkling under heat from the fuser in the printer and not laying flat on the board.

Ideally I would use a vacuum exposure box, which would suck all the air out a compress the transparency flat onto the board, but I do not have access to one of these.

What I need is a different medium for exposing the boards through, that doesn't crinkle when run through the printer. I have read on various websites that thick tracing paper is good, I'll try that tomorrow. I also thought that an inkjet transparency might work well, as the inkjet will not cause any distortion in the material due to heating.

Any other suggestions?

I have thought about an iron-on solution but I have not had very good results with this in the past... maybe with the right technique I could do it but I would prefer to use the photo method.

Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0
    Total Downloaded
    4.74 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: Photosensitive PCB media

Use normal 80gm laser paper. You have to ensure that the print is really dark. I routinely use 2min approx exposure to the sun (bright). Of course you have to test it first.
    Siva

• Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

roger

0 Not allowed!

I gave up acetate long ago. I now use MEGA Electronics UK - Laser Printer PCB artwork film. It is translucent and gives dense black artwork from a cheap laser printer.

See Rapid Electronics order code 390774 www.rapidelectronics.co.uk

Or Google Mega Electronics UK

I'm sure you must be able to obtain an equivalent in Oz

roger
    Last edited by roger; 18th January 2011 at 12:07.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 55
    Total Downloaded
    2.38 GB

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by wastrix View Post
    Ideally I would use a vacuum exposure box, which would suck all the air out a compress the transparency flat onto the board, but I do not have access to one of these.
    OK- try not to laugh- but I just had a thought: What would happen if you used one of those vacuum food sealers to vacuum the artwork down tight to the board? If the board is wider than the food sealer, just use a clear plastic bag and attach a tube to the accessory port on the food sealer (or other vacuum source).

-Rick

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 16
    Total Downloaded
    966.48 MB

0 Not allowed!

I'll second Rogers suggestion - the Rapid (Mega) Laserstar film is very good, mostly I use tracing paper but for the extra special jobs I use the film.

• Attention

wastrix

0 Not allowed!

Thanks all for the suggestions.

I have tried 80gsm office paper in the past and it has worked OK, but I found the lines weren't that cleanly defined... I'll go to Officeworks today and have a look at the various papers anyway.

I saw Laserstar film a while ago, there used to be an AU distributor, but it has disappeared now. I can still get it off eBay if all else fails.

I will definitely try the tracing paper. I will get some today.

I will also have a look at some vacuum seal bags. I hadn't thought of that, and it might work well if one has a good seal and pump.

I have not had any troubles with non-opaque blacks on normal transparencies, I used to with my older printer, but we now have 3x Brother HL-21X0s and these seem to work fine (1200DPI = actually 600x2400).

Has anyone used inkjet transparencies? I have a Canon MP800 with 4800DPI.

• Attention

wastrix

0 Not allowed!

OK, I have done it!

I tried the tracing paper but it gives only very marginally less crinkling than the acetate. My printers have an option for transparencies which reduces the fuser temp, but toner adhesion is not so good and it doesn't make much of a difference. I suppose it depends on the printer, different printers will perform better with different materials.

However, the prize goes to Rick. I bought a vacuum bag used for reducing the storage volume of low density clothing, I put the artwork and board in the bag, vacuumed the air out and exposed through it and it worked perfectly! The transparency was sucked flat against the board.

See attached picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010208small.jpg‎  

• Attention

billyminor

0 Not allowed!

Has anyone used inkjet transparencies? I have a Canon MP800 with 4800DPI
    From what I've read (not tried) guy's who use inkjet transparencies say they run them through the printer 2x to get it dark enough

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Given: 15
    Total Downloaded
    434.52 MB

0 Not allowed!

Aye William,

Why not just use a piece of glass on size to keep everything flat ?
    Fanie

• Attention

wastrix

0 Not allowed!

I use two sheets of Lexan bolted together. Tried glass too but these could not sufficiently flatten out the wrinkles. BTW, it's a DS board so I cannot just lay a glass sheet on top of it as I would need to turn it over and I would lose the alignment if it was not firmly bolted together.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 16
    Total Downloaded
    966.48 MB

0 Not allowed!

I use two sheets of Lexan bolted together. Tried glass too but these could not sufficiently flatten out the wrinkles. BTW, it's a DS board so I cannot just lay a glass sheet on top of it as I would need to turn it over and I would lose the alignment if it was not firmly bolted together.

I would have thought that bolting around the edges would cause the Lexan to bow and lift in the middle.

If you tape the sheets of tracing/film together then they will be fixed in
    alignment and you just put the board in the pocket between the sheets. When it goes into the UV box the foam pushes down evenly across the board then turn it over and expose the other side.

• Attention

wastrix

0 Not allowed!

I would have thought that bolting around the edges would cause the Lexan to bow and lift in the middle.

It would in some cases, but the Lexan is 5/8" thick (this doesn't seem to affect exposure time), so it doesn't bow and also you do not overtighten the bolts.

With smaller boards, I have had no issues, the Lexan did not bow, any crinkling in the transparency was insignificant, but with this big board all the problem struck at once.

If you tape the sheets of tracing/film together then they will be fixed in alignment and you just put the board in the pocket between the sheets. When it goes into the UV box the foam pushes down evenly across the board then turn it over and expose the other side.
    That's what I do, but without the Lexan to clamp things together I found that the artwork would usually shift slightly when I turned it over, ruining the alignment. Ideally the lightbox would be double sided, but I don't have one of those.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Given: 15
    Total Downloaded
    434.52 MB

0 Not allowed!

Put alignment pins in.

I still think if you clamp it between two pieces of glass you can expose and turn around , nothing should move.
    Fanie

• Attention

wastrix

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by fanie View Post
    I still think if you clamp it between two pieces of glass you can expose and turn around , nothing should move.
    I'm sure it will! I do the exact same thing, except with Lexan, not glass.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 31
    Total Downloaded
    6.55 GB

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by billyminor View Post
    From what I've read (not tried) guy's who use inkjet transparencies say they run them through the printer 2x to get it dark enough
    I use inkjet transparencies and the result is very good. I use an HP PSC2110 printer, now an old model. Recently I boght a Cannon laser printer. I tryed to print on inkjet transparency using the laser printer, and it comes very, very good, although the transparency comes way too flexible at first due to the heat on it, but it worked.

Regards

Joseph

• Attention

Thread Information