Thread: Very very cheap simple GSM texter3052 days old

Thumbs Up
    Received: 102
    Given: 23
    Total Downloaded
    1.51 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: Very very cheap simple GSM texter

Interesting discussion. Up to now I have not investigated 3G (although my mobile phone supports it) let alone 4G.
    As far as I can see, both are based on mobile internet. That's something I will try not to do since I don't understand why I would need that. Browsing the net on a teeny screen is not my idea of having a good time.
    My mobile phone is for telephone and the odd SMS (text).

What I don't understand is why there is no money in mobile telephony, every day I'm flooded with advertisements trying to sell it to me, preferably with the latest hot shot model.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 108
    Given: 29
    Total Downloaded
    2.69 GB

0 Not allowed!

It's not a question of no money in it Harm. They are making zillions. As Les pointed out they are money hungry. They go where the money is, all those teenagers and people with nothing better to do than use social media. The frequency spectrum is expensive to buy from the government regulator so they go to the cheapest option - re-use what they currently own and to heck with the users on 2G. I believe there is one minor player leaving the equipment on for a little longer. The two big players and the resellers who use their networks are definitely off.
    John

Thumbs Up
    Received: 102
    Given: 23
    Total Downloaded
    1.51 GB

0 Not allowed!

Thanks for the explanation John.
    Regarding the use of the frequency spectrum I can understand that.

But why would that mean that sms (text) would have to disappear (or GSM altogether if I read the post by Les correctly)?
    As I remember well when the mobile phone came on the market the big players laughed about sms (text) and didn't think it would be a popular service....history has proved them very wrong, it earned them more than telephony.

The good thing about GSM/SMS is that it does not require an internet connection. Personally I think that mobile networking on a so-called smartphone is asking for hacking problems, especially since many lof the teenagers (as you call them) haven't got a clue about security. Privacy is totally out of the question if you see how those naive types are using the social media. (yes, those nudie pictures will be there for the rest of your life and for everybody to see).

Every now and then I feel I'm a dinosaur when it comes to things like social networks and internet connectivity on mobile phones.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 312
    Given: 120
    Total Downloaded
    1.51 GB

0 Not allowed!

5. 3G has a limited lifespan as well, and there is already talk of it being discontinued, once the LTE (4G) network is more widespread. The network companies do it because there are so many gullible people out there, and they know it, so they rip them off as much as they can. Just look at the prices they charge and cap the limit of the data, when there is absolutely no need to do it, and calls should be virtually free after this length of time that mobile networks have been around. It is greed, pure greed, and I will NEVER own a mobile phone, and never have. They are also so easy to track, data is now being used by the commercial sector and sold by companies to other companies, so they can see an "individual" person's movements 24 hours a day!

It's just a matter of time that insurance companies increase prices for individuals who venture into locations that are deemed unsuitable!
    For more example programs for Proton and Proton24 or updates, please visit: Proton WIKI or Proton Files

Thread Information