PicKit2, Fuse settings and general migration from bootloaders et al ?

+ Reply to Thread
    Kapitan

0 Not allowed!

Default PicKit2, Fuse settings and general migration from bootloaders et al ?

Hi guys
    For years, I have used an old kit built pic programmer (Micropro 150)..
    My general format - as a hobbyist, not a pro... is..
    Load the appropriate hex bootloader to the programmer, call up the fuse config.. after perusal of the datasheet, set the fuses.. for almost 99% of my projects, thats all I ever needed to do as the rest was done on a proton development board with a specific xtal, usually 20 mHz...

Now, I have some new pics.. 16F4620, to experiment with.
    My old programmer, no longer supported by yhe original designer, does not have the fuse config page for this device.

So, looking to use a combo of Bootloader AND ICSP using the new Pickit2 I have just got.. I would appreciate some advice.

Is there a īfuse config' page for the pickit2 ?, on basic playing with the software, I cant find one... that would allow me to load a boot loader and set the fuses as per my requirements.. then continue to use a bootloader..

OR, for future projects.. a utility to set the fuses and use icsp direct from the pickit2 in my projects without putting all the code in by hand for the fuses every time. ?

Using the original pragrammers fuse config page was easy and great, but as said, the newer devices are not there... so its a new learning curve.. not that I didnt understand the actual settings, just that a manual addition to the code is new and unknown to me.

I have only touched at the surface of the pickit2 and am mightily impressed , and for the price, what a superb tool... its just a transition thing really.. Possibly there is a similar page in the pickit2 software, I just cant find it lol..

Joe

Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 31
    Total Downloaded
    926.61 MB

0 Not allowed!

Hi Joe
    You don't use John's fuse configurator?

Regards

John

• Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Kapitan

0 Not allowed!

Aha !, I thought I had seem one somewhere, wiki I presume.. ? !

Thanks John, will take a look..

• Attention

Kapitan

0 Not allowed!

Got it !, just what I wanted, super job to the the other John

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 13
    Total Downloaded
    280.03 MB

0 Not allowed!

Another hint, from now on design the board(s) so you can program it while already populated and power to it is on.
    You need 5 pins, once again check it on the wiki.

I made a SIL probe with 5 pins. Use it on the ICD2 or pickit2.

On mains stuff I add ie 12V pads to power from the bench supply to program, then when software works I connect to mains to make sure.
    Fanie

• Attention

Kapitan

0 Not allowed!

Thats exactly what I am planning Fanie.
    I am blown away with the pickit2.. I ordered from farnell UK, less than 30 quid, came with a mid range development board and a selection of 11 pics to play with.. that is bloody good value.

At the mo, ALL my projects are perf board or vero board, I just dont have the facilities for making pcbs, and they tend to be usually 1 off only.

I usually build a selection of boards using perf or vero, with a socket, xtal if needed, decoupling, 5v reg and sereal port, in future all with have the 6 pin header for direct pickit 2 connection, si pins simply so I dont plug the pickit in the wrong way lol...

Now, If I can just work out all the fuse settings for the 18F4620....
    Joe.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    280.03 MB

0 Not allowed!

The IT guys sell a little USB battery that plugs into it. Makes it portable. You can dunk the code on it and sail to another country to program someone else's pic there

Fuse Config. Easiest thing there is.
    Fanie

• Attention

Kapitan

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by fanie View Post

Fuse Config. Easiest thing there is.

Please explain oh wise one....

Joe

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    280.03 MB

0 Not allowed!

Yee well traveled one, should cast thy mooring ropes off, and set thee sails to wiki and feast thee eyes on the plugin.

Install to cast thee net to harvest all thy config bits.

4 5 C.

Shake f speer must have been a real vandalist to bugger an otherwise quite good language up like that eh. The English chaps seems quite intellegent (on the surface that is), not sure why they ever stood for the silly crap anyway
    Fanie

• Attention

Kapitan

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by fanie View Post
    Yee well traveled one, should cast thy mooring ropes off, and set thee sails to wiki and feast thee eyes on the plugin.

Install to cast thee net to harvest all thy config bits.

4 5 C.

Shake f speer must have been a real vandalist to bugger an otherwise quite good language up like that eh. The English chaps seems quite intellegent (on the surface that is), not sure why they ever stood for the silly crap anyway

Aha, Now I understand, Shakespear... commonly know in the uk as ol' Bill WagStaff...

Like richard the third, or dick the shit (Richard d turd).... we take our literary heitage seroiusly here,....

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    280.03 MB

0 Not allowed!

Yes well it seems there is a lot of money in the suggestive of man's mind. Some comes to mind right away,

The HUMPback from Notredam
    Should probably be something like Notre hump by the dam..

And who's the writer... Emily DICKenson is it ? I'm rather not going to elaborate on this one...

And how about Joe COCKer...

You should get the idea by now. Change the name and you could become rich and famous...
    Fanie

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 31
    Total Downloaded
    926.61 MB

0 Not allowed!

I think you 2, need to get a room...

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    280.03 MB

0 Not allowed!

Can't afford it John... name's wrong
    Fanie

• Attention

Thread Information