Purchasing an extra USB license key (dongle)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    HelpMe!

0 Not allowed!

Default Purchasing an extra USB license key (dongle)

I'm tired of carting the USB key between my home and office. Is there any way to purchase an additional key without purchasing an entire new copy of PDS? Paying $200 just to have an additional key is ludicrous, especially considering I could have the existing key emulated for much less than that, and then I wouldn't need any keys at all. Is there someone I can contact on this matter?

Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 95
    Total Downloaded
    1.32 GB

0 Not allowed!

That last post I saw on this was that if you want another dongle then you need to purchase another compiler.

Personally I think it makes sense, after all you are purchasing another compiler as having 2 dongles means you have to people using it at once.
    Tim

• Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

HelpMe!

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Personally I think it makes sense, after all you are purchasing another compiler as having 2 dongles means you have to people using it at once.
    Except it's just me using it, and the dongle infuriates me. I have the software installed on both computers. I have a separate burner for each computer. But I have one dongle. So I'm always carting it around and it's extremely agitating when I arrive at the office only to realize that I don't have the dongle with me.

Not to mention the dongle is a joke to begin with. I paid for the software, I shouldn't have to be baby-sat by a $1 plastic key. And it's also incredibly annoying the way the dongle shuts off if a device is added/removed on any of the other COM ports.

In the end, it just seems illogical to try and charge $200 for another key. Isn't the point of the key to cut down on piracy? What if I instead decide to pay $100 to have a key emulator made. Then I'd be able to distribute the unlocked PDS suite to as many unlicensed users as I wanted.

Doesn't seem like such a piracy "deterrent" to me . Actually, it's more of a piracy promoter.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.32 GB

0 Not allowed!

With out the dongle, pirating would be a matter of some code sent over the internet, if you replicate it then there is still a hardware issue and its not easy to replicate dongles.

I have been doing some work recently were I forgot my Lap top but I have not been back to the company asking for one at a cut price.
    Tim

• Attention

cgriffin

0 Not allowed!

Labcenter offers discounts for multiple licenses, and site licenses. This is very common.

However, Proton is uncommonly affordable--even more so after last years price cut. I believe they made the price cheap so the hobbyist can afford it. Personally, I purchased a second key so I could have one at home and one at the office. If you are using it professionally, I suggest you do the same. Not only does it provide backup for a lost key, etc., but it also helps support further development. After all, Proton doesn't have update and maintenance fees like so many other engineering tools do.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 31
    Total Downloaded
    926.61 MB

0 Not allowed!

I can sympathise with you Help Me, I'm not a big fan of dongles myself, but they have the advantage of one being able to install Proton on as many PC's as you wish.
    On some of the CAD packages that I use, a re-format or new PC, requires a call to the vendor to try and persuade them to issue a new serial no. They are not always keen on this, even though the annual updates can cost 10 x the price of a no update cost Proton package.
    So I am happy to put up with a dongle, as the package is well worth it

• Attention

lotus25

0 Not allowed!

I guess that Crownhill can control two and only two USB dongles per Licenced User. For any one who have more than one computer, to lose one dongle is posible. I am totally agree with dongle protection. Is the best way, but i think that, at least for Licenced Users, it would be a great idea to offer them a second dongle with a reduced price. The Protongeeks's life would be much better with a backup dongle.

As for the piracy, all of us are Internet Users, and all of us know that any program some day is "Cracked", included those that are dongle protected. (i.e. PDS )

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0
    Total Downloaded
    1.06 GB

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by lotus25 View Post
    I guess that Crownhill can control two and only two USB dongles per Licenced User. For any one who have more than one computer, to lose one dongle is posible. I am totally agree with dongle protection. Is the best way, but i think that, at least for Licenced Users, it would be a great idea to offer them a second dongle with a reduced price. The Protongeeks's life would be much better with a backup dongle.

As for the piracy, all of us are Internet Users, and all of us know that any program some day is "Cracked", included those that are dongle protected. (i.e. PDS )
    Pointless resurrecting this thread again. Crownhill have clearly stated their policy on second key provision.
    A wise man may listen and say nothing. A fool may listen and have nothing to say. Which one are you???

• Attention

lotus25

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by bill9399 View Post
    Pointless resurrecting this thread again. Crownhill have clearly stated their policy on second key provision.

Pointless and bad taste answering this theme again...

I spend a lot of time when i write in my special english. All british guys must keep this in their minds.

To me, it would be easier write this:

"Si algún día se me pierde el dongle, o me sale muuuy barato comprar otro, o probablemente pensaría en cambiar de compilador."

...but this forum is in english, and i must write something like english, even if i spend 20 minutes to a 30 seconds paragraph in spanish. Excuse me if i don't get it, and excuse me too if i have not memorized the Crownhill's web page and the Proton PICBASIC forum.

No more words about this...

• Attention

mfx12

0 Not allowed!

IMO simple answer is to ditch PIC and move to AVR and BASCOM. I have no commercial interest in BASCOM, just a happy user and MCS don't seem to have been huge victims of piracy despite their choice of just using a licence file. I looked at Proton ages ago but was turned off by their choice of protection method, I keep checking back to see if they've seen sense (hence this message) but as they're still using dongles then I won't be buying. To compare forgetting a dongle to forgetting your car keys or laptop PSU is ludicrous, my car is parked just outside wherever I happen to be so it's just a quick trip back indoors to pick the keys up, a client may be 60 miles or more away! Also the laptop PSU lives in the bag with the laptop but a dongle would get moved between PC's plus I simply don't believe anyone who says they've never forgotten anything!

• Attention

cirtek rf

0 Not allowed!

Lightbulb Protect another Way...

We are all in the same situation regarding Crownhill's choice for software protection. And I for one believe that if they hear this enough maybe they will explore other avenues to accomplish the anti-piracy fear. We are all programmers and want to protect our work. Other than a few loyal subjects that defend the Crownhill protection method many of us would like another option.

I had asked about this in the beginning before I switched to Proton, and Les assured me that if I lost a key they would replace it. My office and home are 100 miles apart. Several weeks ago while traveling in Northwest Washington I lost my key ; And then the response to my email to Crownhill was "sorry" what if it were your car keys or a TV set ? And by the way its not that expensive to begin with... so we sympathize with your loss.

I have bought 2 additional copies of Proton in the last 2 weeks in order to have an extra key. It was difficult to go 2 weeks until I had a replacement key(good thing there is no shelf life). I would like them to reconsider the policy on lost keys for users that are registered and licensed.

For a Laptop user the key is bad because it must be removed to put the laptop into a case. Maybe an SD card that does not have to be removed.

Proud owner of 3 PDS discs,
    Bobby

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.32 GB

0 Not allowed!

If it were only that simple to say that because it has no dongle its a better compiler.

I looked very seriously at Bascom, while it looks a decent compiler when I asked is there was any decent USB support I don't think anybody answered.

I looked through all the documents and apart from some chap doing his own conversion there is no support.

This meant that it was dropped like a hot potato for me. What's the point in learning a whole new architecture for only to take a step backwards.
    Tim

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 7
    Total Downloaded
    802.58 MB

0 Not allowed!

To compare forgetting a dongle to forgetting your car keys
    So if you lose your car keys the dealer just lets you have another set then as he knows it is your car?

Bobby

• Attention

cirtek rf

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs up Replacement Keys

My experience is that the dealer with proof (registration or insurance card) and you VIN # from the car will make you a new set for about $12.00.

Recently I had to provide an invoice number or shipping address in order to become a licensed user... why can't that same information be used to validate me as a legal user when I lost my USB key ? And then maybe charge me a nominal fee for a replacement key ?

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 7
    Total Downloaded
    802.58 MB

0 Not allowed!

Hi,
    My experience is that the dealer with proof (registration or insurance card) and you VIN # from the car will make you a new set for about $12.00.
    I think the figure of around £140 was mentioned when I asked, £90 for the key and £50 for the half hour to program it (like it takes that long).

Bobby

• Attention

Thread Information