Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 7
    Total Downloaded
    1.16 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default GPS speed

Hi,
    I am having my first dabble at GPS, the bit I really want is the speed over ground.
    Everything is working fine but I have noticed that speed over ground (KPH) is in $GPVTG which is optional, speed in knots is available in $GPRMC. Is there any difference, I would have to do maths on KPH to get MPH anyway so is there any reason why I should try to get the speed over ground value out of $GPVTG and convert it when I already have speed in Knots?.

Bobby

2. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Maverick

0 Not allowed!

No reason I can think of ,, just conver knots to mph

4. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

david

0 Not allowed!

Hi,
    Stick with the knots to save yourself processing another string.
    Knots x 23/20 should work or for better precision use 84/73.

Why mph? I thought only the US and some small African nation were the only non-metric outposts remaining.

Cheers,
    David

6. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 7
    Total Downloaded
    1.16 GB

0 Not allowed!

Hi David,
    It's 'cos we invented this driving lark, I see at least you are still following the rules we laid down and drive on the correct side of the road.

I did not really want to start writing to the GPS module if I did not have to in case I screwed it up, at the moment it has gone well.

Thanks,
    Bobby

8. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 15
    Total Downloaded
    434.52 MB

0 Not allowed!

I was just wondering why Mav was still bothered by the mph.

1kn = 1.852km/hr. It's about time the US let go of these pre-historic measurements and switch to metric. It's more accurate anyway
    Fanie

10. Attention

davidhousley

0 Not allowed!

The Knot is an SI unit!!! And so is the nautical mile. The metre used to be defined as a fraction of the nautical mile.

12. Attention

Thread Information