High Speed Data Logger

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: High Speed Data Logger4527 days old

Sterling101

0 Not allowed!

Question High Speed Data Logger

I'm looking at making a high speed data logger for my car's ECU to save me having to cart the laptop around whenever I want to log the data for tuning.
    The sample speed from the ECU is around 10 samples per second and I was wondering if I could use the SD macros and grab this data and stick it to an SD card quick enough?

I've had a bit of a browse round but it seems most people are only storing maybe 1 sample a second, whereas I need something much faster as the data stream from the ECU changes so fast and I need the data resolution for tuning.

I was also considering configuring it with an LCD display to show some of the real time data, but I'm guessing that would take too much processor time at the capture speeds involved.

Look forward to any opinions on whether this is possible anyway.

Leigh Windridge

2. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

cgriffin

0 Not allowed!

I haven't used the SD macros, but I'd be shocked if you couldn't get 10hz out of it. You can read at a/d at 30khz or better with compact code, and using the mssp store it to eeprom.

If you run your data capture in an interrupt, you can display it on an lcd. You'll have to use good interrupt practices, though.

4. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Sterling101

0 Not allowed!

I didn't actually post up originally that the ECU is sending all of the information via a serial port so I'd be pulling the data in from there, sorting it then outputting it to the SD card ready for the next data packet.
    Each line of information is around 56 bytes in length (varies depending on sensor output).

I can't seem to find much info on how the macros/code communicates with the SD cards so I'm not sure if reading the data in via serial could cause a problem if the SD card is connected via serial too...

6. Attention

cgriffin

0 Not allowed!

If you use Les' buffer routine (or an interrupt to catch the incoming serial data), you will be able to do it. You are only wanting 560 bytes per second, and that's slower than 9600 baud. Using a hardware usart gives you almost 100% processor time for everything else.

8. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 80
    Given: 48
    Total Downloaded
    1.40 GB

0 Not allowed!

10. Attention

swright

0 Not allowed!

Hello Leigh and welcome to the forum. The SD code is capable of an average write speed of around 30,000 bytes per second, so your 560 bytes a second should not present too much of a problem, so long as other code does not take too much time in addition, which I doubt. The PIC is connected to the SD card via the SPI bus, so it will work quite happily alongside the hardware USART for serial communication with your ECU unit. I would expect, with careful use of interrupts and buffers that you would be able to include the LCD also.
    Do keep posting to get help here as required - it sounds like a good project.

Regards,

Steve

12. Attention

Sterling101

0 Not allowed!

Excellent stuff - I've ordered some parts (new 18F PIC, SD socket etc) so should have them soon.
    Is there somewhere I could download some code snippets on file handling at all? Be useful to have a look around at some of the standards in use.

I'm just waiting for the serial information from the ECU manufacturers so I can try and strip some of the data out and get the information out I need so as soon as I've got that I'll start picking things apart too.

14. Attention

ohararp

0 Not allowed!

I have been using Steven's code and interface now to a 5Hz GPS. I am writing a min of 80 bytes per GPS sentence. The critical part is periodically saving your data to the SD card using the SD_SAVE command. Other than this "blip" your data should easily be handled. At 10 hz I would use the write byte or write string command and then allow the buffer to fill to 512 bytes whereby Steven makes the code flush this buffer automatically.

16. Attention

Thread Information