LED 4x1 7 Segment CC displays

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: LED 4x1 7 Segment CC displays4744 days old

Eagleeye

0 Not allowed!

Default LED 4x1 7 Segment CC displays

Hi
    Can someone point me to the correct direction as to how
    I can start experimenting with CC (common cathrode) led displays?

I would like to experiment with this on the proton
    development board.

My knowledge level would be considered "intermediate"

Eagleeye

2. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

dmTulsa

0 Not allowed!

As with any new project its best to start with the data sheet of the part(s) to be used.

With these displays it is best to use a driver chip to save pin/port count on the PIC. There are many such drivers out there. Do an internet search on 7 segment driver.

The part shown above may have a driver builtin so again look at the data sheet

4. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Eagleeye

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by dmTulsa View Post
    As with any new project its best to start with the data sheet of the part(s) to be used.

With these displays it is best to use a driver chip to save pin/port count on the PIC. There are many such drivers out there. Do an internet search on 7 segment driver.

The part shown above may have a driver builtin so again look at the data sheet
    Hi
    I pulled it it out of an existing circuit board. I am in the
    process of tracking it down what the pinouts are,
    With such a small pin count, it probably has some kind of
    special interface too.. at this point I am drawing a blank.

Searching for 7 segment displays with picbasic does not yield any information
    with a 'CC' display of this type.

I was hoping someone in the forum has already used a CC display
    and not the standard 7 segment.

Eagleeye

6. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 15
    Total Downloaded
    434.52 MB

0 Not allowed!

There was a discussion on using the 4094 display for LED displays, do a search. The one on your picture may not be suitable for that as it has to be multiplexed, but if you can get loose segments, it works a charm. The data that is displayed are clocked out serial, and you can display limited text characters too, as well as have full control over where the dp(s) sits.
    Fanie

8. Attention

galaxy

0 Not allowed!

It IS a multiplexed display. I'm so sure about it because i've used the same display. You have 4 times a CC. 1 for each digit. Then you have 8 anodes.
    Each segment one, and 1 for the decimal point. That makes 12 pins.

Now suppose you want to display "1234".
    Then you have to power the CC of the first digit, and the anodes of the segments you want to lit to make an "1".
    After that, you power the CC of the 2nd digit, and interface the anodes to make a "2"

Same for the 3 and the 4.
    If you do this fast enough, the human eye won't see any flickering, and experiences it as a stable display showing "1234"

You can find out the pinning bij tieing one lead to GND, and the other via a resistor (470R) to +5.

The more easy way is to search google with "datasheet partnumber"
    99% sure you'll find it that way.

Theo

10. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    434.52 MB

0 Not allowed!

Hello Theo, are you well on this nice Sunday night ?

Attached... a 3 digit multiplexed display using a 16F676. This one measures the current in the workshop. Thanks for the teaching on multiplexing displays... I needed the reminder why I'm not going that way anymore and was suggesting to Eagleeye to look at other options instead.

The down side of multiplexed displays are your pic is buzy servicing displays - which leaves little time for doing other things. With the serial display you write date out when it suits the software and timing is not as critical.
    Fanie

12. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 0
    Total Downloaded
    1.01 GB

0 Not allowed!

Sunday already? Blimey, must be too much of the S.A red stuff

The display has four cathode connection, one for each digit, and eight anode or segment connections. The pinout is pretty well standard but I don't have my Farnell cat' at hand to check. It's easy enough to find out with a 270 ohm resistor and five volts.

Hic

T.
    My RAM is failing

14. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    434.52 MB

0 Not allowed!

must be too much of the S.A red stuff

As long as it's a nice dry red wine you're referring to... !
    Fanie

16. Attention

Eagleeye

0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by galaxy View Post
    It IS a multiplexed display. I'm so sure about it because i've used the same display. You have 4 times a CC. 1 for each digit. Then you have 8 anodes.
    Each segment one, and 1 for the decimal point. That makes 12 pins.

Now suppose you want to display "1234".
    Then you have to power the CC of the first digit, and the anodes of the segments you want to lit to make an "1".
    After that, you power the CC of the 2nd digit, and interface the anodes to make a "2"

Same for the 3 and the 4.
    If you do this fast enough, the human eye won't see any flickering, and experiences it as a stable display showing "1234"

You can find out the pinning bij tieing one lead to GND, and the other via a resistor (470R) to +5.

The more easy way is to search google with "datasheet partnumber"
    99% sure you'll find it that way.

Theo

Hi Thanks for the tip. I have a SChematic of the hobby board
    already.. So I will probably write some code to turn on each
    led.. It seems that this must be done in some kind of loop
    so that the refresh rate is high enough for the human eye
    not to notice the flicker.. I'll go play with this when
    I have some time..

Eagleeye

18. Attention

Thread Information