Thread: mcp41*** Microchip Digital Pot5026 days old

Thumbs Up
    Received: 66
    Given: 26
    Total Downloaded
    3.61 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Re: mcp41*** Microchip Digital Pot

Actually the digipot will be used as a source for a control voltage for a monophonic synth.
    The idea is based on an aritcle I read in Nuts and Volts, the author uses a R/2R DAC but I am not happy with the quality (even using matched 1% resistors).
    The source of all this is a MIDI keyboard I had lying around.
    The uc picks up the note information and converts it to a digital value to be fed into the digipot.
    The synth by the way is the ominous Gakken SX150 Mark II.
    I would love to see you build a synth from a PIC24.

2. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 40
    Total Downloaded
    3.45 GB

0 Not allowed!

Hadv: have you seen any references to building a Theremin using a PIC (preferably a PIC24)?

I built a true analogue Theremin using un-locked oscillators but I am sure there is a modern shortcut around somewhere.

4. Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    3.61 GB

0 Not allowed!

No, I have only seen analogue versions. But I would not be surprised if someone came up with something.
    After all, you only need 2 ADC's and some oscillating software.
    By the way, the author of the Nuts and Volts article describes the possibilities of the Gakken synth as mostly theremin. I don't really agree because it has no volume control, but the sound is definitely weird.

6. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    3.45 GB

0 Not allowed!

Just looked it up online and it's a pretty basic tone generator with bells and whistles. It's the hand-proximity that gives the Theremin its appeal for me. If I get time, I'll look into capacitive sensing of the human hand and generating an audio tone (logarithmic or whatever) using a P24. Plus volume of course, from the other hand.

8. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    3.61 GB

0 Not allowed!

The biggest problem for a theremin is, as far as I can see, the sensitivity of the antennas.
    I've been experimenting with cap sense in Pic devices, but I don't think they are sensitive enough.
    Maybe abusing an anolog input can do the trick, I will do some experiments in the near future.

Oscillating should pose no problem, I've been searching the web and there is a plethora of vco circuits, including the famous cem3340 that is used by a number of commercial synths. This chip is still for sale! https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/curtis-...0-ic-vco-chip/

10. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    3.45 GB

0 Not allowed!

Hmm, that chip looks like a good starting point. I am currently doing a project for the National Museum of Computing at Bletchley Park, and I can't allow myself to be distracted. But a digital Theremin is so tempting.....

I did wonder about the "gesture sensing" chips that are around; they can track hand movements in excess of the range of a conventional Theremin.
    Last edited by charliecoultas; 8th March 2019 at 17:52.

12. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    3.61 GB

0 Not allowed!

Your remark about gesture sensing made me search for them.
    I found the ADPS-9960 and ordered 2 of them.
    Will start experimenting as soon as they are here & will keep you informed.

Regards
    Harm

14. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    3.45 GB

0 Not allowed!

Now that sounds very interesting! You might be on the verge of inventing the Harmomin.

Please keep me informed. Trouble is I'm travelling abroad from the end of March for two months but my wife
    is taking her mini-iPad so I should be able to stay in touch.

16. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 91
    Given: 34
    Total Downloaded
    4.60 GB

0 Not allowed!

Is this when you are visiting Oz, Charlie?
    John

18. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    3.45 GB

0 Not allowed!

It is John. We fly to Perth on 7 April, India Pacific Railway from Perth to Adelaide on 14/15/16 April, Adelaide to Melbourne 17 April, Melbourne to Sydney 21 April, Sydney to Cook Islands 26 April.

When I suggested we have a beer together I hadn't realised what vast distances were involved. I'd love to meet up but I will take advice from you.

Charlie

20. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    3.61 GB

0 Not allowed!

Dropped the APDS for the moment (pretty complex and I get the impression that the distance is too short) and picked up a HC-SR04 sensor. This works easy up to 60 cm (and more, but that would be not very useful for a theremin-like instrument).
    The reading is lineair, so conversion to a pitch and a volume should not be that hard.

22. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    3.45 GB

0 Not allowed!

60cm is about two feet in old money. I would be happy with that range on a theremin-type device.
    Why do you think otherwise?

24. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    3.61 GB

0 Not allowed!

I don't think otherwise (though the HCSR04 goes up to 4m = 13 feet but my arms are not that long).

I have developed the circuit. It contains a 16F88, 16F689 (both selected for no other reason than that I have both), two MCP41010 (1 for the VCO, 1 for the output volume) a and 4046-based VCO that will run from approx 50 Hz to 16 kHz.

26. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 341
    Given: 162
    Total Downloaded
    1.99 GB

0 Not allowed!

Did you ever see my article I wrote, far too long ago? It was creating an ultrasonic range finder with a few components. I then went on to the commercially available units back then, which is now the HCSR04.

http://www.protonbasic.co.uk/content...-Range-Finding

28. Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    3.61 GB

0 Not allowed!

No, I never read that article. Nice to see it though. Basically the underlying principle is the same.
    Thanks
    Harm

30. Attention

Thread Information