Thread: Elnec ISP wiring!!!!!!!!!!!5398 days old

Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 95
    Total Downloaded
    1.32 GB

0 Not allowed!

Default Elnec ISP wiring!!!!!!!!!!!

Has any body ever got there Elnec to program Via ISP? If so can they tell me how to wire the *$%£! up

Unfortunately my trusty Epic is busted and while I wait for a part I'm desperate to program a chip with a boot loader. No worries I have an Elnec, as I have to program this part ISP I started to look though the manual, the help file and all the little windows it pops up for the pin outs for the ISP connection. Can I find it Noooooo. Lots of pictures showing recommended connections to the pic, Pictures a cable with a 10 pin dil at either end but what $£$* pins are what not a chance. Please put me out of my misery before I put it out of it's misery. (With a hammer!!!!!!)

Yours ever so slightly cheesed of.
    Tim

Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

If you can, please report issues in the forum area WebSite / Forum Issues

Thank you for your attention.

GM6WRY

0 Not allowed!

Hello Tim
    Try this http://www.elnec.co.kr/en/sw/nnopg_uk.pdf
    It seems to have the lot dont know which programmer you have but if it's picprog try page 101
    Best
    Gordon.

• Attention

This valuable resource relies upon the very small amount of revenue generated by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

The advertisements we display are relevant to this web site and your browsing history

Note: Some users have reported issues related to ad-blockers rendering parts of this wesite unusable,
    where possible we will rectify the issues to enable you to use this resource with adblocking enabled.

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.32 GB

0 Not allowed!

Hi Gordon

You correctly identified I was talking about the Picprog + and why I did not see that I don't know I looked through that PDF loads of times. Now just have to try and figure out what

1 VCCP for target device, with sense
    2 H/L/read, GND
    3, 10 H/L/read, VPP
    4, 6, 8 H/L/read
    5 NC
    7,9 GND

Equates to I can see 1 is Voltage to power the pic 7,9 is ground 3 is Vpp but which ones are Clock and Data.

Thanks again
    Tim

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.32 GB

0 Not allowed!

I know why I could not find that info is because the file I down loaded last night issued in Feb 2005 does not have it in. I'm still stuck looking for the pin outs because as I said even the other manual does not tell you.
    Tim

• Attention

Richard

0 Not allowed!

Tim, Email Elnec - I've always found them very eager to help.

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.32 GB

0 Not allowed!

Richard

I did that last night and this morning phoned them. The Tec support team are away until Monday although a chap did give me a couple of pins he says is the Clk and Data. I gave up with it though and fixed my good old Epic, at least Melabs tell you how to wire it up. I will bite my tounge now before say anything else, it's a high spec device but very unfriendly to use.
    Tim

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Received: 43
    Given: 4
    Total Downloaded
    1.60 GB

0 Not allowed!

Tim,

please look at:

Page 113 of the User Guide

Then read the Microchip document ICSP Guide

Finally ensure that you have downloaded thelatest driver for the PicProg+

Open the driver and from the menu select the device, be sure to select the ISP option.

Then hit Ctrl+F1 for the detailed connection data for the ISP header to your circuit.

Be sure to view the information under the first TWO tabs.

You'll see that there is all the information required, circuit diagrams and textual references to the ISP header and target board. The information provided is way in excess of anything that melabs provide with the Epic!!

The Elnec ISP option conforms exactly to the Microchip recommendations.
    Lester Wilson
    ---------------------------------
    Crownhill Associates Limited
    www.crownhill.co.uk
    Tel: +44 1353 749990
    Fax: +44 1353 749991
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.60 GB

0 Not allowed!

Tim, please remember to pay attention to the supply connections to your target. the Elnec Programmer can power the target, but the traget cannot power the programmer!

There is a separate connection to the traget PSU rail on the Elnec header. Of course there is a limit to the currrent that it can supply!

As the Elnec distributor for the UK, we are here to assist, if you need to call us during our opening hours we can help, but i think you will find all of the required information in the documentation referred to and the help file.
    Lester Wilson
    www.crownhill.co.uk
    [email protected]

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.32 GB

0 Not allowed!

Thank you Lester

As the UK distributer I hope you can have influence with Elnec to improve there documentation.

If you follow the link to the manual and page 113 you get the pin numbering on the 10 way socket and if you call up the device info and look at tab 2 you get lots of info telling you how you should wire the circuit (much more complicated than I have ever seen required any other programmer) but to my eyes I still cannot tell from that lot what is Data and which is the clock.

You will note also that there are 2 links posted on this thread to manuals and they have different levels of info the first has more than the later.

I have captured the CTRL F1 page may be I'm being very thick but I cannot make out from that lot whats the clock pin and which is the data. Can any body show me where I it says it?

I have to state that technicaly it is a superb programmer but I find it very confusing to use.
    Tim

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.32 GB

0 Not allowed!

The file was to big I will have to do it later Sorry
    Tim

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.60 GB

0 Not allowed!

Hello Tim,
    As an example i selected the ever popular 16F84 for In-Circuit Serial Programming

Description of the ISP connector

1 - VDD Power supply to device to be programmed
    2 - No connection (NC)
    3 - NC
    4 - NC
    5 - Target System Supply
    6 - Serial data I/O (RB7)
    7 - GND (Vss)
    8 - Serial data Clock (RB6)
    9 GND (Vss)
    10 - MCLR / VP to device to be programmed
    11 - Gnd
    12 - Gnd
    13 - Traget System Supply
    14 - Target System Supply

Of course if you use other devices you may need to make additional connections like LV program etc

Note:
    You cannot use ISP and have a device in the ZIF socket of the programmer
    Lester Wilson
    www.crownhill.co.uk
    [email protected]

• Attention

Thumbs Up
    Total Downloaded
    1.32 GB

0 Not allowed!

Thanks Lester

The problem is I see now is that text is missing from the 18F452 isp info. As I have never used the programmer for programming via ISP and I rigidly followed the manual documentation where it say's "Open the driver and from the menu select the device, be sure to select the ISP option."
    I did look at a number of other devices to look for the info 18f6720, 16f877, 16F628 but never found it there either.

Now I can see what's gone wrong I will contact Elnec and get them to correct there info. I will also try and make up for some of my harsh words to make up an idiots guide to using it, something I obviuosly could do with my self!

BTW
    I copied this from the same page for the 18F452 isp

"General Info:
    Before starts any action with device (in target system) make sure, the ISP cable is correctly connected to the target system and to the ISP programmer. Also make sure no device is inserted to ZIF socket on programmer. We strongly recommend you to read Microchip's In-Circuit Serial Programming (ICSP) Guide (http://www.microchip.com/downloads/e...Doc/30277d.pdf or www.microchip.com, search "ICSP guide") before you start using ISP programming.

Microchip PIC18Fxxx devices are sometimes delivered from manufacturer in special state. In this state the device contains all zeros. This special device state can cause problems while making any operation on the device (program, read, verify, id check...) so it is recommended to perform copmlete Erase operation on new devices. You can set to perform automatical Erase before programming in "Device operation options" dialog. If id check error problem occures, it is possible to turn off id check feature also in dialog "Device operation options". After first Erase operation on device the device will be set to normal (blank) state and it is ready for any device operation.

Low voltage programming:
    ISP programmer allows programming using the low voltage programming for devices capable of low voltage programming operation. The low voltage programming option can be set or disabled in Device operation options dialog. To use low voltage programming the device must have set bit LVP in device configuration word to '1' (enabled). Otherwise the device will not be able to program operation in low voltage mode.
    The low voltage programming pin (PGM pin) needs to be connected to PGM pin of the ISP programmers ISP connector. This is in addition to the other required pins (RB6,RB7,VDD,VSS,MCLR/VPP). PGM pin needs to be correctly connected to ISP PGM pin even if no low voltage programming is used because in standard programming voltage mode the PGM pin must be set to 'L' state."
    Tim

• Attention

mikedownunder

0 Not allowed!

Thumbs up I did, using a 18F1320

Hi Tim

Firstly may I say sorry that I have not answered this before. I only came accross the thread this evening (don't know how I missed it)

Anyway I have successfully used my trusty PICPROG+ using ISP to a 18F1320 Use the device info screen to get the pin numbers for the IDC10 and use the following-

10wIDC Name 18F1320 Name
    2 H/L/read 11 PGM
    6 H/L/read 13 PGD
    7 GND 5 GND
    8 H/L/read 12 PGC
    10 VPP on MCLR 4 VPP

The only problem I had was that I kept forgetting to turn OFF LVP when programming (that really stuffs it up )
    I know this works as I've used it heaps of times. It should only be a matter of connecting the same signal pins to any device to get it to work.

Mike

• Attention

Thread Information