PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 Spark Key Drivers

Koenig
29th March 2016, 00:16
Microsoft has updated my nicely working Windows 7 PC to Windows 10 and now the Proton USB Key is not turning on and the IDE shows "ERROR: USB key not found".

Does anyone know how to find a W10 driver for the Spark Key, or is Proton now a lost cause.

I tried to download the W7 32 bit driver from Crownhill web page but the ZIP driver link is broken and there are no drivers available.

It looks to me like Crownhill have abandoned support for this product.

I have a number of programs I need to support and I really do not want to purchase another PIC IDE and re-build all the programs.

Thanks, Ron.

Koenig
29th March 2016, 01:25
Driver Found.
I selected the Device manager and the USB Key that was not installed then selected for Windows to search the Web for a driver.
After a long wait it found a driver but reported the driver was not signed and may damage the computer.
I proceeded to allow the drive to load and, after the driver loaded, the Key light turned on an the compiler functions.
The Key now appears under the Universal Serial Bus Controllers as SparK Usb Key.

The installed driver information is:
Provider: spark ltd
Driver date: 8/5/2007
Driver Version: 5.0.2064.0
Digital Signer: Not digitally signed

I hope this helps anyone else caught up with the W10 upgrade.

Stephen Moss
29th March 2016, 08:45
It is a bit of a leap to suggest that Crownhill have abandoned support for Proton just because of a broken link or temporary server issue that prevented download considering a new version and a couple of patches to correct problems and add a few more devices that can be complied without the need for the dongle were released recently.

I downloaded and installed the latest version of Proton and the Windows 7 64-bit Spark key driver after re-installing Win 10 a couple of weeks ago and had no problems, I also just checked the links in Forums "Updates" section ( http://www.protonbasic.co.uk/content.php/1603-MS-Signed-Windows-7-Drivers ) and clicking on both the sparkey_32.Zip and sparkey_64.zip files resulted in the files being downloaded.
The Windows 7 drivers are fine for use with Windows 10.

Is that where you were looking for them? If not I suggest keeping that location in mind next time you need a driver or want to download the latest version.

Les
29th March 2016, 09:27
It looks to me like Crownhill have abandoned support for this product.

Because a single link is down certainly does not mean the compiler has been abandoned. Actually, the USB drivers are installed with the compiler in a folder called "USB Key Drivers" within the compiler's directory: "C:\Program Files (x86)\ProtonIDE\USB Key Drivers"

As a programmer or engineer, it should be second nature to have an inquisitive mind and look within any application's directories that is installed on the computer for things of interest. I thought that was standard practice?

As Stephen stated, there have also been several patches created for the compiler within the past few months, and I've added new devices for it and posted them on the forum, and a new version will be released in a few days, so how can you even think that the compiler has been abandoned? And as long as we're around, it never will be abandoned! As long as PIC micros are available, so will Proton be.

charliecoultas
29th March 2016, 10:48
Now that you are the proud owner of Windows 10 your fun is only just beginning!

Charlie

Les
29th March 2016, 11:10
If only that were true Charlie!!!!! ;-)

In my opinion, it is one of the worst Operating Systems ever brought out.

I had to buy a laptop with it on and it has been nothing but trouble. It's actually slower than Windows 7, and every now and then it simply freezes for no apparent reason. It has also crashed several times and I've had to move it back to a previous intallation. What a piece of C#*p!

It also does not like some of the applications that I've used for many years, although they run perfectly on Windows 7 64-bit, and, the dreadful, Windows 8. But at least the compiler still works on it.

I tried to install windows 7 on the laptop but it simply would not let me for some unknown reason!

charliecoultas
29th March 2016, 15:37
I was being sarcastic Les. I loaded Win10 and all seemed OK, for a while. But then, whenever I wanted it in a hurry, it would do an enormous update (without asking). I have had several problems with it since.
How can an "update" be larger than the system it is updating? Yes, C#*p is a good word for it.

Spectrum
6th August 2016, 02:53
I need some help.
I purchased PDE version 3.1 some years ago and completed a project and now would like to do another project with it.
Tried to install on WIN10 via the CD and it didn't work.
somehow I found a version to download 3.5.6.5
I had to copy sparkey inf file to c:\windows\inf and sparkey.sys to c:\windows\system32

I still can't get windows to assign the driver to the dongle
I got as far as it saying: "windows found the driver software for your device but encountered an error while trying to install it"
Then below that: "Spark dongle" with a USB icon
And below that: "windows cannot find the file specified"

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

normnet
6th August 2016, 04:10
Download the correct driver and choose to browse to it in place of the windows driver when prompted for installation.

Spectrum
6th August 2016, 12:49
Thanks but:
There is no prompt when I plug in the dongle. plugging in the dongle results in Win10 recognizing that it is there and the device manager shows it as "spark dongle" under "other devices".
I have to try to install the driver via the device manager, and that is unsuccessful.

I forgot to mention that I have tried this with virus software disabled, have tried uninstalling the the dongle device then reinstalling, also tried using the usbdeview-x64 utility and uninstalling the dongle.

I have windows 10 professional, 64 bit, upgrade installation from windows 7.

also I have tried the driver installation application downloaded from the web site. No joy there either.
When I copied the driver files I got them from the "C:\Program Files (x86)\ProtonIDE\USB Key Drivers" as Les recommended.

normnet
6th August 2016, 13:15
...I have to try to install the driver via the device manager, and that is unsuccessful...
Things to try:
Uninstall the windows selected driver from device manager and reinstall the driver from this site as it is necessary.
Re-download correct 32 bit or 64 bit driver in case its corrupt?
The downloaded driver will require renaming to "sparkey_64bit.zip" or "sparkey_32bit.zip" if it appears to be "vbdownloads.php" or similar.

Spectrum
6th August 2016, 13:43
Things to try:
Uninstall the windows selected driver from device manager and reinstall the driver from this site as it is necessary.
Re-download correct 32 bit or 64 bit driver in case its corrupt?
The downloaded driver will require renaming to "sparkey_64bit.zip" or "sparkey_32bit.zip" if it appears to be "vbdownloads.php" or similar.

Okay I just repeated the process as you outlined and SUCCESS!

I don't know what I was doing wrong here but you have saved my weekend.

Thanks so very much.

normnet
6th August 2016, 16:38
If the download was "vbdownloads.php" try adding protonbasic.co.uk to your IE compatibility view list > Tools/Compatibility View Settings.

How about a thumbs up?
Just one please.

Spectrum
6th August 2016, 17:07
@normnet
"How about a thumbs up?" My pleasure, not sure I did it correctly though.

normnet
6th August 2016, 17:12
@normnet
"How about a thumbs up?" My pleasure, not sure I did it correctly though.
Just click the green thumb once until its red.

Henk
8th August 2016, 22:59
Mine did not work either. If I plug it in the PC makes the sound that it is there, but the light will not come on. I downloaded the MS Signed Windows 7 Drivers and unzipped it. Went to the Device Manager, found the Sparky there with an exclamation mark on it. So something was wrong. I clicked on "Update driver software", "Browse my computer" and pointed to the folder I unzipped the Driver. It updated and worked. Thanks

Les
9th August 2016, 10:45
It's ridiculous that somethng that should be as simple as plug and play USB, has been made so complex and convoluted my Microsoft. It's definately written by people who do not use Windows!!!!!

joesaliba
9th August 2016, 18:23
Mine did not work either. If I plug it in the PC makes the sound that it is there, but the light will not come on. I downloaded the MS Signed Windows 7 Drivers and unzipped it. Went to the Device Manager, found the Sparky there with an exclamation mark on it. So something was wrong. I clicked on "Update driver software", "Browse my computer" and pointed to the folder I unzipped the Driver. It updated and worked. Thanks

Seems that you used the method I mentioned here. I always use this method when I format a PC and till now always worked (cross fingers).