PDA

View Full Version : USB Descriptor Information Manufacture, Product and Serial Number



jdaniels
2nd October 2012, 00:42
I recently updated a USB project to the new compiler 3.5.5.2 after some trial and error I was up and running but I noticed the Manufacture, Product and Serial Number was corrupt.

I loaded the USB18 Mouse.bas demo from the \PDS\Samples folder and changed the device to a 18F4550 and the code ran fine but the Manufacture, Product and Serial Number was also in error.

I used a utility from Microsoft called USB device viewer that reads the device descriptor information this is a copy/paste of the returned information for the USB18 Mouse.bas demo.

iManufacturer: 0x01
*!*ERROR: no String Descriptor for index 1!
iProduct: 0x02
*!*ERROR: no String Descriptor for index 2!
iSerialNumber: 0x00

Is there something I have overlooked?

Thanks
John

johngb
5th October 2012, 11:09
I have done the same and there is definitely something wrong with the way the descriptor is constructed or handled.
I too found that none of the strings are reported so I reverted to one of the samples (Mouse demo) and can confimr that too doesn't show any supplier or product information although I can see the strings in the Descriptor. Also, I noticed that none of the endpoints are reported although they are defined in the descriptor.

I am using the Advanced Serial Port monitor from AGG software. Its a great product for monitoring USB transactions.

I then ran a program (with the USB Monitor running) which had been built under an earlier version using the previous version of the USB code and the old descriptor style where everything is defined as Retlw and gave a full report.

Is this going to be resolved in the near future?

ElektroArt
5th October 2012, 15:37
PDS v.3.5.4.5 and build in routines has NO this problem .

(With PDS v.3.5.4.5 and old style program. usb_descriptor "yourDEVICE.inc" ; usbout comand ..)

After v.3.5.4.5, versions, usb not good.

johngb
8th October 2012, 20:54
None of these issues seem to be being addressed or have even been responded.
Perhaps I should raise a formal "Anomaly Report"

jdaniels
9th October 2012, 00:01
John

Thank you for doing so.

I should have used the formal "Anomaly Report", it seems that whenever I have an issue it’s usually self inflected and I was trying to sort it out myself. The data sheets and manuals are at times very confusing and it takes several reads before I comprehend.

I noticed you were working on some USB stuff so I posted hoping for a nudge in the right direction.

Thanks
John

johngb
9th October 2012, 09:02
I have now raised a formal report and given examples from my USB analyser using an earlier version and the current version.
I can't make it any more black and white. Hopefully we will see it addressed.

dmTulsa
9th October 2012, 12:41
thank you John. No reason for me to sent it in also. I'd guess it will be fixed soon.

Doug

jdaniels
11th October 2012, 01:08
Thank you for taking care of this.

I copied and renamed the Hid_Descriptor made the changes for my needs I also added a device serial number string.
I did have to edit the Windows registry to remove some corrupt data attached to the PID value simply uninstalling the device would not remove it.

John