PDA

View Full Version : PDS...for a new user

jom
4th January 2012, 08:32
Hello all

Just tonight I has been suggested to me to look into PDS as a PIC development system. I have been trying to use MPLAB for some time now. I'm not a full-time user at all but MPLAB doesn't exactly make things easy and inspire you to want to continue to learn. There is always some sort of road block...at least for me.

So a couple of colleagues suggested PDS to me. I'd like to try a free version first so:

1) Is the free version the Amicus software or should I use the free PDS I see available? I'm not sure what the difference is between this Amicus and the fully cost PDS is either.

2) I already have a number of Microchip devices as programmers such as Pickit2 and what I can the "hockey puck" (forgot the name but it's a debugger/programmer that looks like a puck). Does PDS work with these devices?

3) I also have available to me the mikroElectronika v7 EasyPic. Does this work with PDS?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated! :nevreness:

jom

joantabb
4th January 2012, 08:45
Good morning Jom,
Amicus18 is the free version of PDS, and only runs on circuits using two specific chips. http://www.myamicus.co.uk/content.php
if you use the pre built board, then the progamming boot loader software will be included and you will need a USB A plug, to USB A plug cable to connect the computer to the Amicus18 board... (can be ordered at same time as board...)
this is a complete version of PDS, with the sole exclusion being limitation of two chip types. (one 3.3 volt core, the other 5 volt core)

If you can download a version of PDS without being a licenced user, on this forum, you are probably downloading a pirated version.
please be careful.

regards John

joantabb
4th January 2012, 08:49
Sorry Jom, I have never used the Hockey puck, and the easypic7 board probably has the wrong chip installed...

Pickit2 will work with Amicus, if you use the connector on the back of the circuit board, however this will almost certainly over write the Bootloader software... a copy of the Bootloader is available on the Amicus site, to restore the bootloader, later.

regards John

wastrix
4th January 2012, 09:31
The hockey puck you refer to is most likely the ICD 2/3. These cannot be used directly with PDS, but you can use them via MPLAB (do all programming in PDS, then load the hex in MPLAB and program). Any programmer with a command line interface can be controlled directly by PDS, if not you can use the default interface to just load the hex file produced.

I believe the EasyPICv7 comes with a 18F45K22, which is supported by PDS. You are probably aware of this, but just to confirm, PDS only works with Microchip's 8-bit core devices (PIC10/12/16/18).

I should also add that not only does PDS have a nice UI and is easy to use, but it is VERY SIGNIFICANTLY more efficient in terms of speed and memory usage than any other (mainly C) compiler that I have tried. Although the language itself is not as powerful as C in terms of libraries, etc. but this is being improved currently.

RGV250
4th January 2012, 16:05
Hi Jom,
You might be referring to PDS lite which is quite outdated now, limited to 50 lines and is only really left available for legacy users who do not want to use anything more.
I believe the EasyPIC7 board has 3.3v + 5v operation so you should be able to use either device Amicus18 supports (both 28 pin devices).
I am not sure if the board supports Pickkit2 though but you should have the Mikroelectronica programmer so you should be OK anyway.

Regards,
Bob

joesaliba
4th January 2012, 17:35
Hi Jom,

I have EasyPIC 4 and works great with PDS. EasyPIC 7 will also work. The programmer for both boards is the same and adding new programmer to PDS such as the mikroProg that comes with EasyPIC 7 is just a breeze. Hopes this helps.

jom
4th January 2012, 21:56
Thanks all!! :smile:

On the PDS I downloaded...it's evidently the older "free" version because I got it from the Crownhill site. I also dl'd the Amicus and did notice it only supports one IC. I want to use this free software for evaluation but I don't have the IC that is required for the Amicus. HOWEVER, I think I have an IC that can be used with the free old PDS (which I can put to one of the Microchip programming/eval board which has LEDs and switches on board). So for evaluation purposes would it be best just to use the old PDS software? All I want to do for now is just blink a couple of LED's or maybe get the point where I can read the ADC or some such.

On the other hand since the old PDS is rather limited what's a good way to evaluate since I don't have this 18F55K20 that is required?

Of course, if I decide to buy then I'm sure PDS will support any number of chips I have lying around (I actually four or five presently).

Thanks again!

jom

wastrix
4th January 2012, 22:43
The old PDS Lite is now missing a significant number of features present in the new version. If you can't get a 18F25K2x (where are you? In most places you can get them for only a few dollars, or even MChip samples), then you may as well try the lite version. However, I would also recommend you download Amicus as well, just to compile and use some of the newer features of the product.

See_Mos
5th January 2012, 13:02
As others have written, the free version is very old and has lots of commands missing or out of date however there is nothing to stop you using the fifty line limit with something like a 16F84 to test flashing LED's, buttons or even text based LCD displays. I don't remember if the Labcenter Proteus simulator was included with the demo but if it is you don't even need any hardware to try out Proton.

The Pickit programmer is easy to integrate into the Proton envireonment but it is just as easy to compile with Proton then programme with the Pickit interface.

The two IC's supported by Amicus are available in DIP packages and they are not expensive, you could build your own test jig, compile with Amicus and programme with PICKit. The Amicus board is also cheap and easy to use. Whatever you decide everything you need for Amicus is available online so it really would be worth the small outlay of an IC or the Amicus board.

bill9399
5th January 2012, 14:40
If you do not already have Isis demo version, you can download this direct from Labcenter website at the link below.
See DOWNLOAD menu at top of the page listed.
There should be a number of PIC demo boards included with this.

The same usage restrictions as per PDS distributed versions apply.

http://www.labcenter.com/index.cfm

jom
6th January 2012, 07:11
Thanks for all of the info.

Presently I now have a couple of samples of the 18F25K20 coming from Microchip. I have a 28 pin demo board I bought from MC some years ago so I can to try to use that. I also have a colleague that has an EasyPic6 I can borrow so I can go that route too. I do have an ICD2 (puck) and I'll try to get that working as well.

That should give me plenty of options going forward to evaluate the IDE.

Thanks for all of the answers!!! :encouragement:

jom

jom
7th January 2012, 07:26
Sorry...another question: Anyone here from the US? If so, who do you buy PDS from here? Also, is it cheaper buying from Crownhill in the UK (and paying shipping and exchange rates) or buying in US?

Thanks...

jom

RGV250
7th January 2012, 10:00
Hi,
Ohararp is a reseller in the states.
http://www.protonbasic.co.uk/content.php/410

Regards,
Bob

Kapitan
7th January 2012, 10:18
Hi,
Ohararp is a reseller in the states.
http://www.protonbasic.co.uk/content.php/410

Regards,
Bob

Hi Bob

My bro - in Canada - bought PDS from Ryan (Oharap) - and the first quote for shipping was far more than from the UK. seriously - but that is DEFINTELY not a bad reflection on Ryan - far from it - it was simply the courier he used - after consulation with Ryan, the best deal was definitely FROM Ryan -
It pays to shop around is all I am saying - and if you get a cheaper quote - then talk to the distributer as there may well be hidden costs.
Ryan (Oharap) is superb - and a genuine great guy.

All that is needed for PDS for most users is simply the dongle - in the sale deal - the licensed user status COULD be dealt with in a one shot sceneario - saves on shipping the CD - and the printed manual is not worth getting purely becuase it is developing -

Hence the only thing shipped is in effect the dongle and the user log-in details.

Oharap is 'da man' in the US.

Joe

jom
21st March 2012, 16:11
Hello again

I'm now ready to purchase PDS but can't seem to find a seller here inthe US. The above link (ohara) seems to be out of stock. Who is best here?

Also, if I buy direct from UK does anyone know the final US dollar cost based on the 99 British pound?

Thanks

jom

joesaliba
21st March 2012, 18:03
Hello again

I'm now ready to purchase PDS but can't seem to find a seller here inthe US. The above link (ohara) seems to be out of stock. Who is best here?

Also, if I buy direct from UK does anyone know the final US dollar cost based on the 99 British pound?

Thanks

jom

Jom,

If you use a currency converter like this one: -http://www.xe.com/ucc/ you may probably have a rough idea about the cost.

jom
22nd March 2012, 17:49
So I gather there is only ONE US distributor at the moment?

Also, does PDS work with the 64 bit version of Windows 7?? It says on this website that it is NOT compatible with XP 64 bit but it doesn't say it won't work with W7 64 Bit. This is extremely important to me...I just noticed this and I'm not sure...I have to use the 64 bit W7.

Thanks

jom

Alan R.
22nd March 2012, 17:59
I'm using it on both Win7-64 and Win7-32, both work fine.

-Alan R.

robbed666
22nd March 2012, 20:02
Works fine on W7 64...
The dongle drivers I had to 'update' manually in control panel for windows to recognise it, but no problems....

joesaliba
23rd March 2012, 09:09
Using Windows 7 64 bit no problems.

Kapitan
23rd March 2012, 09:36
Using Windows 7 64 bit no problems.

I would also like to add that with win7 64 -
NO PROBLEMS AT ALL - works like a dream

XP is virtually history,

you will have no worries with it.
The dongle issues are so minor as to be just a point to note, nothing more.

For a price shipped to the US, then email crownhill direct.
Dont bother with the printed manual - a waste of time really, the in program manual / help is superb - and you can always print it out if you want.

Lester
23rd March 2012, 17:55
Unfortunately our stateside sales site is down at present.

If you contact sales@crownhill.co.uk and pay via PayPal, you can pay is USD, the total price inclusive of shipping is - i think 199 USD. No additional tax or other charges, thats the total that we charge.

The usa site

www.crownhillusa.com seems to be broken. I'll look at this next week

jom
23rd March 2012, 18:21
The site seems to be working now...you must have fixed it.

On the W7/64 bit issue: I noted that on this site the download says "32 bit" : http://www.protonbasic.co.uk/content.php/141-Proton-Development-Suite

"Please note: Windows Vista and Windows XP 64-bit are not supported.
The current Downloadable installer is Windows XP and Windows 7 compatible.
Download the latest installer supporting Windows XP and Windows 7 (32 bit) from HERE"

I think this is probably the source of my confusion. It says "32 bit"....nothing about 64 bit. Maybe the website should be clarified a bit better.

jom

bill9399
23rd March 2012, 18:57
The site seems to be working now...you must have fixed it.

On the W7/64 bit issue: I noted that on this site the download says "32 bit" : http://www.protonbasic.co.uk/content.php/141-Proton-Development-Suite

"Please note: Windows Vista and Windows XP 64-bit are not supported.
The current Downloadable installer is Windows XP and Windows 7 compatible.
Download the latest installer supporting Windows XP and Windows 7 (32 bit) from HERE"

I think this is probably the source of my confusion. It says "32 bit"....nothing about 64 bit. Maybe the website should be clarified a bit better.

jom

Note that the only difference between the versions shown above is the USB key drivers that are installed.

These refer to the different downloads for winXP, Win7_32bit, and Win7_64bit versions. These are available from the beta test area, which you can access once you are registered as a licensed user on the forum.

Lester
24th March 2012, 08:56
Yes the CrownhillUSA.com site is now fixed and accepting orders at 199USD inc delivery to USA

NOTE: When ordering on the CrownhillUSA.com web site, We can only ship to the following regions:
North America, South America, Asia and Pacific.

Orders from other regions should go through a Proton Reseller (http://www.picbasic.org/wheretobuy.php?id=protonds), or order directly from Crownhill (http://www.crownhill.co.uk/product.php?prod=1334) in the UK.

pverburg
24th March 2012, 20:15
Hello the Reseller link above din't work use this one.
http://www.protonbasic.co.uk/content.php/403-Where-To-Buy

Lester
25th March 2012, 10:16
The USA web site IS working.

Please use the USA web (http://www.crownhillusa.com) site if you are ordering PDS for shipment to North America, South America, Asia and Pacific and want to take advantage of the all inclusive price of $199 USD

http://www.crownhillusa.com/

pverburg
25th March 2012, 19:22
Hi Sorry to cause confusion all I was trying to point out that the "reseller" link wasn't working of course the USA based clients should order the special direct from http://www.crownhillusa.com/

(http://www.crownhillusa.com/)Paul V.

jom
25th March 2012, 21:55
Thanks for the info. I ordered the software today so we'll see how it goes!

jom

jom
31st March 2012, 21:28
If ordered from the Crownhill USA site how long does a package take to arrive after payment? I'm curious as I'm not real sure where the package is actually coming from.

thanks

jom

Lester
2nd April 2012, 02:16
if you email sales@crownhill.co.uk, they can advise on delivery times.

jom
2nd April 2012, 16:53
if you email sales@crownhill.co.uk, they can advise on delivery times.

Thanks but I did that. They seemed to have lost the order (then found) so there has been a delay. I ordered thru the site you listed above (USA) so I don't know how it got lost....

jom

jom
11th April 2012, 01:17
My package still hasn't arrived. Does it normally take 17 days or more?

jom

jom
13th April 2012, 19:29
I finally got my package. Now how to I sign up as a licensed user so I can find the download area? Such as how to put this software on a W7 64-bit machine....

Thanks

jom

SimonJA
13th April 2012, 21:01
You first need to apply for registered user status which is not that quick judging by other users posts, then you have access to download the latest version. I assume you have been sent a disk with a very old version?

Maybe things have changed but this doesn't seem to be a good way to endear new users of the product, anyway I had a bit of a go at Crownhill and the way they do business last week so I will say no more. In the end you will have a great compiler, it's just a bit of an ordeal getting there!

John Drew
13th April 2012, 22:48
Jom, at the top of this page drop the Community menu and at the bottom you'll see Apply for licensed status.
Welcome aboard.
John

jom
26th May 2012, 19:08
Hello

I wasn't sure who to ask about this but I thought I had applied for license status but it seems it hasn't kicked in yet. There might have been an activation I was given but I did NOT do it...at least I don't think so...I've been real busy lately. Who can I ask about this? I tried to go under "Community" and "Request License User Status" but it said I wasn't allowed.

Any help would be appreciated...

jom

joesaliba
26th May 2012, 19:48
Jom,

I see that your status has been updated to licensed user that is why the system is not allowing you to re register!

jom
26th May 2012, 20:44
Jom,

I see that your status has been updated to licensed user that is why the system is not allowing you to re register!

Thanks....but I just couldn't tell either way. I also thought there was some sort of "download" area I could now access. So when I couldn't find it I thought maybe there was an issue with the license.

jom

pverburg
26th May 2012, 21:43
This is what you're looking for.

Now you are licensed you can go to the bottom of the forum screen where you willl see the Beta area. Go to the update thread.

you can get the latest Betas and pre-release version.
Paul V.