PDA

View Full Version : PDS lite question from new user

smccauley
26th January 2010, 20:22
I have just downloaded and installed Proton IDE Lite. The IDE and compiler seem to work(I can load and see BLINK.BAS, etc from the samples folder), but when I click on what I believe is the download and simulate button the ISIS demo version loads and says I can't change any connections. The page where I downloaded from says that pds lite contains the IDE, compiler, and simulator. I understand that this is a limited version, but the download page would lead me to believe that I can simulate within the limitations given for pds lite. What am I doing wrong? Have I misunderstood something. Is the simulator available in Proton IDE Lite? How will I know if my program works if I can't simulate it?

Thanks,
Steve

RGV250
26th January 2010, 20:33
Hi,
Have you selected the correct board, the one you need is PIC_16_18PIN, if you still get the message, change the device to 16F628A (just add the A).
I can not help more as I have the full version and it works for that, I did have to change to the "A" version though.

Regards,
Bob

Tim
26th January 2010, 21:26
The system is you compile using the compile and program icon (make sure its set for isis first) then select the appropriate board although it should do it all automatically

smccauley
26th January 2010, 22:11
Thanks for the quick response, but so far no success. Under the compile and program icon down arrow I see three options (Install new programmer, Microcode Loader, and Labcenter Proteus VSM). There is not one specifically for ISIS, only Labcenter VSM. That one does appear to get me to the VHB demo board. The only program I have tried is BLINK.BAS from the samples folder and it does appear to run. However, stopping the simulation and clicking on any component gives the message that the VHB cannot be modified with the Proteus demo. Any other ideas? I have not tried to create my own program yet. I just wanted to work with an existing program first to get a feel for it. Under VHB explorer I am using the second icon PIC16_18PIN_VHB. Is this correct?

Thanks,
Steve

bill9399
26th January 2010, 22:15
I have just downloaded and installed Proton IDE Lite. The IDE and compiler seem to work(I can load and see BLINK.BAS, etc from the samples folder), but when I click on what I believe is the download and simulate button the ISIS demo version loads and says I can't change any connections. The page where I downloaded from says that pds lite contains the IDE, compiler, and simulator. I understand that this is a limited version, but the download page would lead me to believe that I can simulate within the limitations given for pds lite. What am I doing wrong? Have I misunderstood something. Is the simulator available in Proton IDE Lite? How will I know if my program works if I can't simulate it?

Thanks,
Steve

The demo ISIS boards are locked, meaning you can't add new components, or change the wire connections in the drawings.
Note that the version of Isis provided with Proton is a demo version, hence the restrictions placed on it.
If you need additional boards, install MPlab, and then download and install the Proteus demo provided for MPlab. The Isis version provided by MPlab will also run the demo boards provided with Proton. Note that Isis provided for MPlab is also a demo version, with the same restrictions as the Isis version provided with Proton.

Proteus, by Labcenter, is a separate product to Proton.

RGV250
26th January 2010, 22:16
Hi,
Sounds like you are doing it right, you should see the colours on the port pins changing from blue to red moving down one pin at a time, you should also see a simlar thing on port b monitor below the pic.

Bob