PDA

View Full Version : Thinking moving BasicMicro to Proton

Flying Canuck
29th December 2009, 16:55
How long has Proton been around?

Can I use the IDE programmer from Basic Micro?

Anyone else made this move?

Tim
29th December 2009, 20:01
Proton has been around in one form or another for around 10 years

If the IDE can pass command string's then yes but I would sat the current IDE with the plug ins would be better

C_Moore
30th December 2009, 14:00
Hi Flying Canuck,

That would be a move worth doing.You won't be disapointed.

dmTulsa
23rd January 2010, 01:10
I used BasicMicro for a long time many years back, if you look in their forum I'm sure you'll see many post by dmtulsa. Then I found Porton and its night and day, more like 10000 BC compared to now. Not only is there zero support (last I checked, they were moving away from pic's to Renesses(?).

Basicmicro is an interpreter, hence it uses tokens and its VERY slow Slow SLOW. Did I mention that it is slow? You'd be lucky to get timings less than 2-3ms. There were some neat things beyond anyone else at that time as far as I know. I don't think Proton was even around yet as Proton. They had a good thing at the time but never kept up. I really doesn't matter because it was flawed from the start being an interpreter. It was ok for what they made it for, a basic stamp replacement but that's all it was

To answer your question, you can't go wrong with proton it is vastly a superior product to any other basic PIC compiler except for Swordfish which is also very good. Between the two there's no correct choice it just depends on your writing style. PDS is better supported I believe and has a bigger user base. Swordfish is not as ridged meaning it is more expandable with user functions (so is PDS but its not easy)

I could go on and on since I worked so closely with Basicmicro for awhile.

Get Proton PDS and you won't be sorry

Doug

C_Moore
23rd January 2010, 01:40
Can I use the IDE programmer from Basic Micro

No. And why would you want to? The IDE with PDS is Great.

dmTulsa
23rd January 2010, 20:32
I think he was talking about the ISP programmer that BasicMicro sells. No it will not work. It actually installs interpreter and does not just program the pic with the raw hex file. Another major flaw...........

don't worry about the small stuff like that. PDS is half the cost of Mbasic pro and 100 times more powerful. You can buy the MicroChip PicKit3 for <$50 and have the defacto industry standard programmer. How Basic micro got away charging $250 for the compiler is beyond belief. I guess not really i did buy it years ago.. I hope you get my point!!!!!!!!

It is pretty simple to port your old mbasic code to PDS

if you are talking about the IDE then C_Moore is correct. The PDS IDE is much better

Doug

Flying Canuck
9th February 2010, 14:24
Yes your right the code does move over easy.....but with the lite version not much can be moved over. I have not burnt anything as the lite list is limited, to chips I don't have at the moment.

Does anybody no what parameter strings the PIC KIT II should have when set up as the programmer? I have looked through the manuals and found nothing.

I have pic18LF14K22 chip is this supported in the full version?

fanie
9th February 2010, 15:54
Hi Flying Canuck...

Isn't that the name of a Canadian ? hockey :eek: team ?? :D

99% of the pics are supported. Les does a pretty awesome job of getting the newest ones in there before we get a chance to complain. Makes it pretty boring at times but that's how it is :rolleyes:

I have two pickit II's but don't use them although I did try them and they worked. I use the pollish tins (ICD II's) and both of them work pretty well. I compile the code, import the hex file into MPLab and program from there. I'm sure the other guys do it differently but that's how I prefer to do it.

As for the PDS... what else is there ? I went through them all and am still with it.

Flying Canuck
9th February 2010, 16:39
[QUOTE=fanie;92260]Hi Flying Canuck...

Isn't that the name of a Canadian ? hockey :eek: team ?? :D

99% of the pics are supported. Les does a pretty awesome job of getting the newest ones in there before we get a chance to complain. Makes it pretty boring at times but that's how it is :rolleyes:

Could be I'm Canadian and don't watch hockey.....I do play outside where it is cold.....-40 here in winter. I fly pilot a plane and service remote communities even more remote than I. I fly an cessna 180 and 182....coolest service vehicle around.

Yes it looks like an awesome, compiler and with the 32 bit trig math...there is no other choice.

I just ordered bought it from the us distributor it will be here in about two weeks, I guess. Just wanted to know if that chip was supported or while I was waiting for the PDS I could order a supported chip.

Thanks

fanie
9th February 2010, 17:18
Minus FOURTY :eek: Good grief. Everything must be minus two inches cold there.

How do you guys fish or do you just chop the frozen ones out of the ice :rolleyes: You must live like eskimo's by the sound of it. You also rub noses ? :D Saw this joke where the one good woman in the red light district who was approached by an Eskimo asked her friend ' How much do we chrge for a nose rub'

I spoke with a guy a while back who moved to Canada some years ago. He married there and his children was born there, he said they were happy but it was still difficult for him to cope with the extreme cold weather there.

For us here it's extreme when temperature goes below 10 deg C :D

As for the compiler, you just got the best. Once Ryan dashed over to bring you your stuff :D, get yourself registered and we'll get you up and flying in no time ;)

Flying Canuck
12th February 2010, 19:05
Warm today up to -6 Celsius daytime, last night -19
Bought the PDS from OHARARP USA dealer so I'm waiting.....it's coming VIA dog sled (kidding)

I'm Working on solar project with PDS lite 1.0.3.6 and during DIM of a constant it doesn't show up as accepted. See below

Dim C As -23.45 / DR ' reverse angle of earth's axial tilt in radian

If I remove the minus sign it accepts as a constant is this a glitch?

RGV250
12th February 2010, 20:25
Hi,
Compiles OK in the pre-release, best gee up Well's Fargo express.

Regards,
Bob

Alan R.
13th February 2010, 01:54
Does anybody no what parameter strings the PIC KIT II should have when set up as the programmer? I have looked through the manuals and found nothing.

The strings to use the PICKIT II are on the forum somewhere. I just use the PICKIT stand-alone program. It can tell when you've updated your HEX and will automatically program your part - no setup required.

Try using "Symbol" instead of Dim for constants. I don't know if this is required but that is the way I do it.

-Alan R..

dmTulsa
13th February 2010, 14:02
CMD String for the PicKit:

-P$target-device$ -F$hex-filename$ -E -M -B

Doug

Flying Canuck
8th March 2010, 04:49
Hey doug thanks for your help you steered me in the right direction the command line is

-ppic$target-device$ -f$hex-filename$ -r -e -m -h2 -t

You have to download and install p2kcmd.exe from microchip.com and then use the command line above.

The is a read me file that explains the switches....The -t is to keep vdd running so circuit is powered via computer usb the -r is to release the vpp/mclr line so the pic starts running.
hope this helps the next newbe

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

J. Mark Wolf
12th March 2010, 17:36
You may have made the jump already, but I thought I'd comment.

I was a heavy user of the BasicMicro tools also, made the jump to Proton about 4 years ago, and am really glad I did.

Occasionally I'll still browse the Basic Micro website and still see posts complaining about lack of 18F support, etc., etc. Can't beleive so many people don't just give up on them and move to Proton!

Flying Canuck
15th March 2010, 02:18
Yes I made the move....don't get me wrong I like my Basic Micro. I moved for the 32 bit math and 32 bit trig functions...to my suprise I moved some code over from old projects and the code went down to 1/4 the size....I had bought a few 18F2520 with 32k space so I could dream of end less projects and after moving my first program which was 2308 bytes in basic micro code it went down to 588 in PDS. I had 31.4 K left i was in shock and started thinking of endless projects..so now i get less sleep therefore dream less, but that cool with me.

Yes I'm glad i made the move. I like the ide more and its starting to grow on me.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

fanie
15th March 2010, 03:52
Hope it will serve you well...