PDA

View Full Version : Error : USB Key Not Found

W4GNS
4th December 2009, 00:06
Hello Everyone

Got my CD/Dongle today, But the compiler does not see the dongle. Also the HEX/Assembler and VSM Plugins are not available. So I assume the IDE is not seeing the dongle either. I have read over the forum on this subject, but so far no joy . When I plugged the dongle in the computer it saw the dongle,and still sees the dongle so I think it's working ? I have uninstalled with no difference. OS here is XP Pro SP3 IDE is 1.0.3.6 and Compiler is 3.1.0.9 Thanks for any comments and or solutions
Gary

W4GNS
4th December 2009, 18:48
I have exactly the same error on my Laptop, that is loaded also with XP Pro but has SP2 , All files are where they should be on both machines, the only thing I can see is that the dongle must be bad, even though both computers see the dongle. I made a very bad mistake purchasing Proton :(

Gary

Hello Everyone

Got my CD/Dongle today, But the compiler does not see the dongle. Also the HEX/Assembler and VSM Plugins are not available. So I assume the IDE is not seeing the dongle either. I have read over the forum on this subject, but so far no joy . When I plugged the dongle in the computer it saw the dongle,and still sees the dongle so I think it's working ? I have uninstalled with no difference. OS here is XP Pro SP3 IDE is 1.0.3.6 and Compiler is 3.1.0.9 Thanks for any comments and or solutions
Gary

ohararp
4th December 2009, 18:54
Gary can you try using the sparkey.inf file found here

http://www.picbasic.org/forum/showpost.php?p=24543&postcount=21

I had a similar "rare" issue with my xp machine and I believe this solved it.

W4GNS
4th December 2009, 19:03
I downloaded and installed that yesterday, while searching the forum, It was of no help, though , BTW a search of the forum does not confirm the dongle/key problems as being "rare"

Gary can you try using the sparkey.inf file found here

http://www.picbasic.org/forum/showpost.php?p=24543&postcount=21

I had a similar "rare" issue with my xp machine and I believe this solved it.

ohararp
4th December 2009, 19:04
Simple but obvious question...does the light on the dongle light up? Also, you should plug the dongle directly into your machine's mobo ports. Using a a usb hub can also cause problems.

W4GNS
4th December 2009, 19:13
Yes sir there is a dim Red light, I have to look closely but its lite, Again both computers know the dongle is there, but the compiler does not have a clue, no hubs in line or even owned, Based on instructions/ forum it should be working Thanks for the imput Ryan

Simple but obvious question...does the light on the dongle light up? Also, you should plug the dongle directly into your machine's mobo ports. Using a a usb hub can also cause problems.

ohararp
4th December 2009, 19:15
Gary, when I get back to my office later this afternoon I will grab the files on my xp machine and send these over to try out.

ohararp
5th December 2009, 19:15
Here's my version...hopefully this will help.

pverburg
5th December 2009, 20:03
Gary hang in there.

Ones you found the problem you will never look back, the problem is that all the people that installed it the first time and it just worked don't post it :D

Paul V.

W4GNS
5th December 2009, 21:33
Ryan, That did not help at all. And I have tried everything I can think of, including completely uninstalling my virus protection. I have checked every detail no less than 5 times. I'm at a point that I don't know anything else to try. Even uninstalled Proton and dongle drivers for the third time.

Hi Paul, yup you have a point, but it should install and run on all PC's everytime :) If I were trying to install on Linux with Wine I could be a little more understanding. As it stands now, Im sitting here twiddling my thumbs , admiring the security features of Proton, with alot of regret

Gary hang in there.

Ones you found the problem you will never look back, the problem is that all the people that installed it the first time and it just worked don't post it :D

Paul V.

bill9399
5th December 2009, 22:14
Gary.
I have attached a zip file containing dongle drivers and inf file which work with Windows XP on both my desktop and laptop computers.
The archive file shows which Windows directories the various files should be loaded to.
Try these files. First ensure the dongle isn't attached to your PC, use control panel/system/hardware to uninstall the existing dongle drivers, install these files manually (copy) to the appropriate directories, then place your dongle in the USB port and let the computer update the drivers automatically.
Note that the sparkey.dll file doesn't appear to be installed in Windows 7 installation.
That said, it won't do any harm to place on your system.

If that still doesn't solve your problem, I suggest you return your dongle to your supplier for a replacement. Faulty dongles are a rare occurrence, but it has happened in the past.

If you ever want try Proton on a Linux system, do not use Wine. Use something like VMWare.

di dah di dah dit di di di dah di dah. dit dit

W4GNS
5th December 2009, 23:55
Thanks Bill9399 still not making any head way, I'll shoot the vendor a email Monday and see about returning the dongle, again Thanks for your time guys
Gary

joesaliba
6th December 2009, 10:40
I think that the key is defective. The LED should light up bright not just lit.

Regards

Joseph

ohararp
6th December 2009, 15:24
Joe, Crownhill has been issuing different keys (in terms of case color) and these are not as translucent as previous keys. I am leaning to the fact that Gary's key is probably fine and this is a weird driver/inf file issue. We are gonna try another key though and see how things go.

Maverick
6th December 2009, 16:33
It's a weird one and i'd probably lean towards a weird driver/inf also simply because Gary says that windows actually sees the key. If the key wasn't detected in device manager I'd plumb towards a faulty key.

It may be worth using USBDeview to make sure that any remnant of the drivers are deleted before attempting a reinstall :)

bill9399
6th December 2009, 18:18
It's a weird one and i'd probably lean towards a weird driver/inf also simply because Gary says that windows actually sees the key. If the key wasn't detected in device manager I'd plumb towards a faulty key.

It may be worth using USBDeview to make sure that any remnant of the drivers are deleted before attempting a reinstall :)

It could also be that the key is incorrectly programmed, in which case the key would be identified, but still wouldn't work.
Highly unlikely that a working key would have identical problems on two different computers.

canipus
6th December 2009, 19:24
If you tried two different machines (different h/w) and have followed the installation routine to the letter AND tried the common workarounds as posted by others then almost certainly the dongle is bad. I would try and get hold of a third machine to corroborate what looks like a failed dongle.

Maverick
6th December 2009, 19:53
It could also be that the key is incorrectly programmed, in which case the key would be identified, but still wouldn't work.
Highly unlikely that a working key would have identical problems on two different computers.

This is true , could be a write faliure during programming certainly agree and wouldn't rule it out

joesaliba
7th December 2009, 16:34
Joe, Crownhill has been issuing different keys (in terms of case color) and these are not as translucent as previous keys. I am leaning to the fact that Gary's key is probably fine and this is a weird driver/inf file issue. We are gonna try another key though and see how things go.

Oharp,

When I bought PDS in 2005, I worked about 3 months, and then suddenly PDS did not wanted to compile. The red light was ON, but PDS kept reporting an error USB not found. I contacted Crownhill and they posted a new key before I returned mine, excellent service;) Indeed, it was a faulty key. So I thought that maybe it happened the same to W4GNS.

Regards

Joseph

W4GNS
9th December 2009, 16:30
I got a new CD/Dongle today from my vendor and now Proton works as advertised !! Looks like the dongle is bad.
Thanks for all the comments suggestions from everyone.
Now, to get down to business ;-)

Gary W4GNS

joesaliba
9th December 2009, 16:50
Hi Gary,

Glad you got it sort out.

BTW wlcome to the forum.

Regards

Joseph

W4GNS
9th December 2009, 17:13
Let me just add, that Ryan (of OHARARP) was my vendor and he was with me every step of the way, with direct emails to get me up and going in the fastest possible way. Thanks Ryan

I got a new CD/Dongle today from my vendor and now Proton works as advertised !! Looks like the dongle is bad.
Thanks for all the comments suggestions from everyone.
Now, to get down to business ;-)

Gary W4GNS