PDA

View Full Version : Which programmer

ChrisPriest
23rd September 2009, 11:56
Hi All,

I am about to place an order for PDS, but I am wondering which programmer to go with it, I already have the MC Quick Start Programmer, but this does not seem to integrate within PDS, I know I can take the hex and program via MPLab :) But wanted to get it all under the one hood so to speak.

Can anyone recommend a good programmer that works with PDS's programming functions?

Best Regards
Chris

pic-ignorant
23rd September 2009, 15:21
Microchip's PicKit2 (or 3)
As soon as you compile in PDS, the PicKit automatically downloads to the Pic.

Easy as that :)

John

ohararp
23rd September 2009, 15:46
Pickit2 is the way to go for sure!

joesaliba
23rd September 2009, 16:53
Hi Chris,

Welcome to the forum. I use EasyPic4, now there is EasyPic6. It is a development board and is fantastic to work with. It also have an on-board programmer which support a very wide range of PIC's. As John said, even with EasyPic, as you compile with PDS, EasyPic will take over to program the PIC.

Regards

Joseph

fanie
23rd September 2009, 19:47
Hi Chris,

Yes welcome to the forum and thank you for asking such an easy first question :D

If you are wealthy and can afford one, buy the ICD3 (#1), else buy the ICD2 (#2), or if you are as hopelessly broke as I then settle for the PicKit2 (#4) . If you feel your finances are not THAT run down, then go for the PicKit3 (#3). :D

pic-ignorant
23rd September 2009, 21:41
Hi Chris,

Welcome to the forum. I use EasyPic4, now there is EasyPic6. It is a development board and is fantastic to work with. It also have an on-board programmer which support a very wide range of PIC's. As John said, even with EasyPic, as you compile with PDS, EasyPic will take over to program the PIC.

Regards

Joseph

Hi Joseph,
I didnt realise it was possible to auto-program with the EasyPic boards. Would you mind telling me how to set that up? I have the Easypic 5

Thanks

John

billyminor
24th September 2009, 00:10
John in the Proton Ide select VIEW ,from the drop down menu select compile and programs options then select install new programmer and in the list there should be Mikroelektronica's USB 2.0 from there you can steer it to your directory by selecting edit mines in
C:\Program Files\Mikroelektronika\PICFLASH-mikroICD
Then select PICFLASH.exe

As for the command line theres a few floating around here I use
-w -pPIC$target-device$ -f$long-hex-filename$ -q

ChrisPriest
24th September 2009, 08:48
Hi All,

Many thanks for the welcome :)

I have ordered PDS yesterday and I think I'll go for the Easy Pic Kit, local suppliers don't seem to list the v6 of the kit yet, but do have v5.

Looks to be a very comprehensive development board!

Best Regards and Thanks :)
Chris

joesaliba
24th September 2009, 11:31
Hi Joseph,
I didnt realise it was possible to auto-program with the EasyPic boards. Would you mind telling me how to set that up? I have the Easypic 5

Thanks

John

Hi John,

Do as Brian said, but instead of selecting PICFLASH.exe I manually found it. The reason is I was having trouble to auto program the PIC, once I manually found it, it worked great.

Then, ProtonIDE folder, open Programmer.ini and see that the following line is as follows: -

[MikroElektronica PICFLASH]
Display = MikroElektronica's USB 2.0
Filename = picflash.exe
Params = -w -pPIC$target-device$ -v -f"$long-hex-filename$"

Hopes this helps,

Regards

Joseph

cipiloi
24th September 2009, 18:35
HI !!! Please help me to install ICD2 like programmer in PDS .Thanks in advance!

pic-ignorant
24th September 2009, 18:38
Thanks Joseph & Brian :) That was the only feature I didnt like about the EasyPic5 board, I'll give a go

Thanks again

John

cipiloi
27th September 2009, 14:41
Hi!! No body for Help ? :confused:

joesaliba
27th September 2009, 14:51
Cipiloi,

Do not have ICD2 programmer so cannot help you. Sorry.

Regards

Joseph

fanie
27th September 2009, 18:10
I don't use the ICD2 with Proton. I compile my code, import into MPLab and then program the pic. It also allows me to check the fuse settings I made in my code.

Actually, this was Chris's thread...

boezio
27th September 2009, 23:47
Hi! I posted yesterday in another part of this forum this message about an open-source USB programmer. I hope this can help.

Proton IDE and OpenProg open source USB pic programmer
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi! I hope i don't go "off-topic", but I think many PDS users could be interested on a cheap and wonderful open-source USB PIC programmer I found some days ago at the address http://openprog.altervista.org/OP_eng.html, named "Open Programmer".

It's a very powerful PIC, I2C, uWire, ATMEL, SPI chips programmer built around a 18F2550 or similar with and estimated cost around 10: all infos, data, software (for Win and Linux) about this project are completely open source.

I built this and then I moved my previous pic programmer into a box...

For those of you interested in this project, I've discovered the correct configuration for PDS.
You must use "Install a new programmer", point to OpenProg.exe and use this string as parameters: -d $target-device$ -w $long-hex-filename$ -gui

I hope it could be useful for someone.
Greetings to all the forum and thanks for the help given to me in my last years of PIC programming!

ChrisPriest
28th September 2009, 14:12
Have now received PDS and the Easy Pic Kit 5 :)

Having a few troubles getting the LCD to function under PDS, but will keep trying :)

Thanks for all your help guys, most appreciated

Chris

pic-ignorant
28th September 2009, 14:35
Hi Chris,

Try this:

Device 16F887
All_Digital TRUE
Xtal 8

@CONFIG_REQ
@__CONFIG _CONFIG1, DEBUG_OFF & LVP_OFF & FCMEN_OFF & IESO_OFF & BOR_OFF & CPD_OFF & CP_OFF & MCLRE_ON & PWRTE_OFF & WDT_OFF & HS_OSC
@__CONFIG _CONFIG2, WRT_OFF & BOR40V

TRISA = %11111111
TRISB = %00000000
TRISC = %10000000
TRISD = %00000000
TRISE = %00000000
CM1CON0 = 0
CM2CON1 = 0
ADCON0 = 0

Declare LCD_DTPin PORTB.0
Declare LCD_ENPin PORTB.5
Declare LCD_RSPin PORTB.4
Declare LCD_Lines 2
Declare LCD_Type ALPHA

I don't have my EasyPic5 with me, so I cant tell you what jumpers on the board may need changing, if any

Regards

John

ChrisPriest
28th September 2009, 21:03
Hi John,

Thanks for that, I gave it a whirl but no joy, it's very odd. If I have the graphic LCD attached at the same time, the RB5 led glows very dimly, if I remove the Graphic LCD, it goes out completely.

Either way, I have still yet to get the lcd to display something, most surprised, as I didn't have this issue before with a home built LCD circuit...

I tried the following code...

Device 16F887
ALL_DIGITAL TRUE
XTAL 8

@CONFIG_REQ
@__CONFIG _CONFIG1, DEBUG_OFF & LVP_OFF & FCMEN_OFF & IESO_OFF & BOR_OFF & CPD_OFF & CP_OFF & MCLRE_ON & PWRTE_OFF & WDT_OFF & HS_OSC
@__CONFIG _CONFIG2, WRT_OFF & BOR40V

TRISA = %11111111
TRISB = %00000000
TRISC = %10000000
TRISD = %00000000
TRISE = %00000000
CM1CON0 = 0
CM2CON1 = 0
ADCON0 = 0

Declare LCD_DTPIN PORTB.0
Declare LCD_ENPIN PORTB.5
Declare LCD_RSPIN PORTB.4
Declare LCD_LINES 2
Declare LCD_TYPE ALPHA

Cls
Print "Hello World"

I can see RB0 to RB5 lit dimly and pulsing about once a second, but still zilch on the LCD display.

I bought the LCD with the board from Paltronix so I would hope it was compatible :)

I think I'll try another chip, I've got some 16F877A's on order just in case it's the chip

Best Regards
Chris

ChrisPriest
28th September 2009, 21:34
Popped a 16F871 in there and it works, so it's gotta be a setting on my part, at least I know the board is good :)

Chris

joesaliba
28th September 2009, 21:46
Hi Chris,

What version of the compiler are you using?

If you have not done the updates, goto to View>Online update and keep doing the updates until it tells you that you are up-to-date.

Then, register, and when you become a licensed user, download the latest pre-release from the BETA section.

Why all this?

I know that there was an issue with 16F887 and 16F690 regarding the printing to LCD.

This has been fixed now. But I think that in ver. 3.2.5.5 this was not an issue.

Try another 16F887. I assume that you only changed the Device name and fuses to get it working with same hardware setup, correct?

Regards

Joseph

ChrisPriest
28th September 2009, 22:04
Hi Joseph,

My Compiler version is 3.2.5.5

I have requested my status be changed to Licenced, but it's not happened as yet :)

Yes, all I did was to change the device type and fuses to support the 16F871, unfortunately I do not have another 16F887 to try at the moment.

Thanks for the advice tho :) I will try the beta when my status has been changed.

Cheers,
Chris

billyminor
28th September 2009, 22:14
heres a link to that thread on the lcd problem
http://www.picbasic.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9114&highlight=16f690

ChrisPriest
28th September 2009, 22:19
Thanks Brian,

Seems my access rights are not sufficient to access it :D

Seems I have to wait for my Licenced User status :)

Thanks again

Chris

pic-ignorant
28th September 2009, 22:35
I tested your code Chris, worked fine. Maybe you do have a bad '887

John

billyminor
28th September 2009, 23:40
Thanks Brian,

Seems my access rights are not sufficient to access it :D

Seems I have to wait for my Licenced User status :)

Thanks again

Chris

I didn't think about that :eek: I don't think that's your problem anyway but it was a good read

joesaliba
29th September 2009, 16:11
I didn't think about that :eek: I don't think that's your problem anyway but it was a good read

Brian,

Was going to add that link but then I saw that he is not registered yet.;)

Before I posted I read that thread all over again.

Regards

Joseph

cipiloi
31st December 2009, 16:51
HI !!! Please help me to install PICkit2 like programmer in PDS .Thanks in advance! Hapy New Year!

pic-ignorant
31st December 2009, 17:00
I use a Pickit2. The first time a program is compiled, you need to point the Pickit to it. If you recompile the Basic program, the Pickit automatically detects the revised hex file produced, and re-flashes the Pic

hth
John

cipiloi
1st January 2010, 21:29
Ok! Diplay name: PICkit2; Programmer filename:PICkit2V2.exe Parameters:-pPIC$target-device$ $hex-filename$ and not work ! After recompile the Pickit automatically start without save target device and hex-filename ! Please help!

pic-ignorant
1st January 2010, 21:44
Hi,
Are you installing the Pickit2 as a programmer in PDS? I don't really see the need, personally. I use F9 instead of F10. You only have to point to the hex file once, as mentioned above. If you recompile the Bas file, the Pickit will reflash the Pic automatically ..

John

cipiloi
1st January 2010, 23:51
OK I have installed pickit2 in PDS. If I want to recompile and PIC programming I selected COMPILE AND PROGRAM, PICKIT starts without remember the type microcontroller and hex file.:confused:

pic-ignorant
2nd January 2010, 00:13
Press F9

cipiloi
2nd January 2010, 00:18
Ok! The F9 compiles but does not programing

pic-ignorant
2nd January 2010, 01:07
As I said, the first time, you have to point the Pickit2 software to the hex file in PDS. Then after, it will re program. Do you have Pickit2 software?

cipiloi
2nd January 2010, 01:16
Sorry do not know good English.
I have PICkit2 software.Please explain to me " to point the Pickit2 software to the hex file in PDS"

pic-ignorant
2nd January 2010, 01:18
no problem :)
Did you try loading a hex file from the PicKit2 program?

cipiloi
2nd January 2010, 01:21
Yes !!

pic-ignorant
2nd January 2010, 01:22
It worked ok?

cipiloi
2nd January 2010, 01:24
Yes:)

pic-ignorant
2nd January 2010, 01:26
If you leave the Pickit connected to your board, and recompile the same Bas file, the Pickit will see the updated hex file, and it should flash the pic automatically

cipiloi
2nd January 2010, 01:29
No!!! Start and ask me again name of PIC and name of hex file.

pic-ignorant
2nd January 2010, 01:31
I don't know what you're doing wrong, but it definitely works, I do it all the time.
Sorry, I can't be of much more help

cipiloi
2nd January 2010, 01:35
What parameters should I set when I install PICKIT in PDS?
pPIC$target-device$ $hex-filename$ ? or

pverburg
2nd January 2010, 02:51
You dont use that option !
the pickit software monitors the hex file when it changes it auto reprograms you pic!

The F9 compiles the pickit software is the magic bit

Paul V.

NewBoy
2nd January 2010, 09:16
Connect PICKIT2 and fire up the PICKIT2 App. Connect to PIC and power up.
Click the button (near bottom right on my version) marked "Auto Import Hex + Write Device".
Select your .hex and OK. Hex is loaded onto PIC.
Then, every time you 'compile' in Proton the PICKIT2 App will detect a change and automatically load to PIC.
Works a treat for me.

I can't get my ME Dev board hex loader (PIC Flash) to pick up a 'newly named' hex file and download. I always have to start PICflash and open it manually first time.
After that initial setting I can then compile and download/build OK.
It's as though the hex filename isn't passed to PICFlash. I was sure the string in the loader was OK, maybe it ain't. But PICKIT2 is a really easy/cheap method for in-circuit.

pverburg
2nd January 2010, 10:52
this is what I use and it works first time.

picflash.exe

Paul V.

billyminor
2nd January 2010, 14:38
this is what I use and it works first time.

picflash.exe

Paul V.

I use the same as pverburg with no problems
but I previously used this that did not work properly
-w -pPIC$target-device$ -v -f"$long-hex-filename$"

cipiloi
2nd January 2010, 20:08
Hi pverburg ! I have installed pickit2 in PDS with parameters -w -pPIC$target-device$ -f$long-hex-filename$ -q . If I want to recompile and PIC programming I selected COMPILE AND PROGRAM, PICKIT starts without remember the type microcontroller and hex file.

pverburg
2nd January 2010, 20:35
That instruction is for the ME range of boards not pickit2.

they have given the instructions for your problem please follow them.

Paul V.

cipiloi
2nd January 2010, 20:57
Thank you!

Flying Canuck
5th January 2010, 20:52
I'm looking for an in circuit programmer that won't cost an arm and a leg. That is compatible with the proton compiler lite. I don't want to spend a bundle until I'm sure I can get it working hardware wise. Prefer USB as serial port are obsolete.

Can any one point me into the right direction??

Tim
5th January 2010, 21:19
PICKIT2

Loads of outlets selling it, ~25. Never have to use anything else (with in reason)

Maverick
5th January 2010, 22:54
PICKIT2 seconded
Cheap as chips , programs near every pic out there , and at the price if you ever blow one up accidentally your no too bothered, unlike a 100+ programmer.

I have 5 Pickit2 ,, they were so cheap a bought in a bunch and never worry about damaging one

joantabb
5th January 2010, 23:28
I also use Pickit2...

Being a Cheapskate I do worry, just a tiny little bit, about blowing it up...

But I have this niggling notion at the back of my mind that says Microchip warrant their kit against failure...

Never blown one up so haven't chased this information up but if it's true it might be comforting if there is ever a problem...

Regards John

wastrix
5th January 2010, 23:56
PICkit 3s with updated firmware are also good! :o

(pretty indestructable too)

billyminor
6th January 2010, 15:49
I would get the Debug Express or the Pickit2 Starter Kit over just the programmer as that will give you ready made board to experiment with too
Here's a link where you can get it (price is in canadian $)

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Cat=2621880&k=pickit

ADLIN SYSTEMS
8th January 2010, 18:12
I think theres a misunderstanding here. You cannot program your file directly from proton. If you want to do it you will have to use a bootloader as described in the help file. You have to call mplab and program your hex file from mplab. MPLAB is the programming software to program the chip on board. I hope this makes sense. As far as I know pickit is a development board with programming done through MPLAB. In proton call mplab

pic-ignorant
8th January 2010, 19:50
Hi Adlin.

I use Pickit2 all the time, and I don't even have MpLab on my pc. I compile in PDS, then open Pickit2 software, and select the corresponding .Hex file. After that, the Pickit2 will automatically re-flash the Pic every time the Bas file is recompiled.
Not quite a full integration with PDS, but not far off.

John

RGV250
8th January 2010, 20:06
Hi John,
In the Crownhill\PDS folder there is PrPlus_Mplab.exe, probably a modified version that PDS calls.

Regards,
Snowed in Bob

pic-ignorant
8th January 2010, 20:48
There must be something Bob. Whatever it is, it works very well :)
Is the snow bad there? We have about 6" now, and counting

Regards
John