PDA

View Full Version : USB dongle and VMWare

bill9399
23rd May 2009, 12:37
Here's one for the supergeeks.

Using a virtual Windows installation, XP SP3, in VMware, I can get this virtual drive with Windoze installation to recognize that a dongly thing is attached.
However, the installation of the dongle throws up an error with the spark key inf file. Something about an invalid installation section in the inf file.

This is a valid inf file, used to install in a standard Windows installation, and the dongle is working ok in the standard Windows XP install also.

I did have to use a USB port that hadn't already been assigned to the main Windows OS in the PC, not the VMware installation.

Has anyone here used the Spark dongle successfully from within a VMware cloned system?

I'm trying to use VMware to totally hide work files from prying eyes, and fingers that want to know "What does this do?".

crankshaft
24th May 2009, 14:17
Hi;

Yep, I finally ditched windows 2 years ago and have been using Proton on a XP VM using Vmware Fusion on a Mac Pro ever since, never had any problems ?!

Only problem I had with VM was my kitsrus programmers which I replaced about a year ago for a Pickit2 which has worked flawlessly.

Cheers

P

bill9399
24th May 2009, 22:41
Hi Crankshaft.

I can get the VMware XP install to recognise and work with every USB peripheral I have except for the Proton USB dongle. It recognizes the dongole but won't install the dongle driver.

crankshaft
24th May 2009, 23:59
Hi you probably have several hidden dongles in the control panel device manager, I suggest you remove them all (the greyed out ones) but first you have to make the hidden / disconnected devices visible, this is an XP thing not a vmware thing, first unplug the dongle then:

1. Click Start
2. Click Run
3. Type cmd.exe in the textbox and click OK
4. Type set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 and hit ENTER
5. Type cd\windows\system32 and hit ENTER
6. Type start devmgmt.msc and hit ENTER
7. When the device manager opens, click the View menu
8. Click Show Hidden Devices

And then remove ALL occurrences of the dongle

Also not sure which VM application you are using to run your vm (Desktop Player ??), as they are all slightly different, but I suppose that you have already clicked the option to "connect' the dongle ?? in Fusion the USB devices are shown in the status bar at the bottom of the screen and you have to click and select connect this device, or go to the settings menu for that VM and enable connect for the Dongle device.

Good luck :-)

P

wastrix
25th May 2009, 06:56
Could you install something like the DriverGuide Toolkit: http://members.driverguide.com/director/dispatch_getfile.php?mode=toolkit
on the VM system, then use it to force the install of sparkey.sys?

bill9399
26th May 2009, 09:43
Could you install something like the DriverGuide Toolkit: http://members.driverguide.com/director/dispatch_getfile.php?mode=toolkit
on the VM system, then use it to force the install of sparkey.sys?

Tried the driverguide program, from the URL, as you suggested, however Driverguide doesn't show any driver updates available from their web site.
So no idea how I can force-feed the driver installation.

Crankshaft.

Also tried your suggestion and removed all instances of the spark dongle.
Still installs OK in the host system, but throws up the same error in the VMWare Windows version.

"Service installation section in this INF file is invalid"

VMware version is VMware Workstation 6.5.2 , so is reasonably up to date.

I'll have a play around with the INF file and see if I can get VMware Windoze to accept the installation. Won't matter if I crash out the Virtual Windows, as I can re-create in a matter of a few minutes from alternative version, or from a snapshot.

wastrix
26th May 2009, 10:38
re the driverguide toolkit, sorry about that, it seems they have updated it since I last saw it and it now lacks a lot of features (like forcing a device to have a certain driver)

I presume have tried to go to device manager, open device properties, go to the advanced tab, clicked update driver and given it a specific location to search for the driver?

If not, unzip the attachment into an easily accessible area (My Documents, etc.), the go through the above process and point to your my documents folder - it should find the driver entry and install automatically.
If not, does it give any error messages?:confused:

Sorry Peter... not trying to circumvent your methods, perhaps you know something about this, but just trying to work out what's happening:o

bill9399
26th May 2009, 12:33
re the driverguide toolkit, sorry about that, it seems they have updated it since I last saw it and it now lacks a lot of features (like forcing a device to have a certain driver)

I presume have tried to go to device manager, open device properties, go to the advanced tab, clicked update driver and given it a specific location to search for the driver?

If not, unzip the attachment into an easily accessible area (My Documents, etc.), the go through the above process and point to your my documents folder - it should find the driver entry and install automatically.
If not, does it give any error messages?:confused:

Sorry Peter... not trying to circumvent your methods, perhaps you know something about this, but just trying to work out what's happening:o

Was one of the first things I tried.
As I said, the driver install works 100% on a Windows XP installation when this is the host system for the VMWare. It does not install to a Windows XP OS as a guest system in VMWare.
It throws up the message that I pointed out in previous post.

"Service installation section in this INF file is invalid"

Something in VMWare doesn't like something in this particular INF file structure. Could be VMWare virtual OS, Windows XP, is picking up something from the host OS, also Windoze XP, during installation that it can't handle, and which causes it to lose the plot.

I'll play around with this, and if I find anything relevant, I'll post here.

bill9399
26th May 2009, 19:23
Been looking through older posts and see that this same problem occurred in 2006 and wasn't completely resolved then. Think I'll put VMware on the back-burner for a while and go down a different route meantime. Thanks for your input, Wastrix and Crankshaft.

bill9399
26th May 2009, 22:33
Finally managed to get the Spark key driver installed in VMWare Windows guest.

Had to manually place the files in the appropriate directories, uninstall the failed previous install attempt of the spark key, using device manager, then removed the spark key from the USB slot, and re-inserted same. Allowed Windoze to detect and automatically install the driver.

Crappy way to have to install same, but at least Proton now works in VMware.

Selecting to update the Spark key driver from device manager did not install the driver.
Original sparkey.inf did not install the driver.