PDA

View Full Version : Spark USB Key problems

stevewidg
22nd July 2008, 17:01
These keys seem to be subject of quite a few problems, but cant find cure for the one Ive got.
Im building a new software environment on brand new laptop. (XP SP2 having managed to 'downgrade' from the undoubtably superior Vista, but thats another story) Due entirely to my own stupidity I plugged a USB hub with a bunch of dongles on it ( 3 to be precise, 2 x Hasp 1 x Spark ) and installed Solidworks & Pulsonix (using Hasp) with no problem, no messages about 'whatever you do dont plug dongle in first'.
When I try to install PDS it goes through all the motions, but the 'splash' screen stays there, wont exit, wont do anything, in fact not recognised in Task Manager, though it does show as an installed program in Add/Remove programs, but not in program list.
Anybody had same problem, is there a known fix, and wouldn't it be nice if it told you what to do if you face this problem.
Thanks
Stev

bill9399
22nd July 2008, 22:49
Posted on a number of occasions by different users.

Try using USBDeview tool to remove all the key drivers then try again.

Do a Google search for this program.

Most problems tend to be with yer actual Windoze, rather than the dongle.

stevewidg
23rd July 2008, 11:05
Thanks Bill,
a very neat and useful utility, however it didnt help at all, as I had already removed the driver under device manager, so it didnt see it. I suspect there is something lurking in a registry entry somewhere, that needs cleaning out. I couldnt find anything on google about Spark Technologies. ( I dont speak Chinese) I REALLY dont want to re-install XP again, ( I havent run ANY software on it yet, but done loads of software update packages, with only one error (this). Ddoes anybody know how to clean up after this stupid mistake please.
Steve

bill9399
23rd July 2008, 12:53
Check whether your software installations have set any restore points. If so you could try doing a restore to before you installed your multi-dongled hub.
You would/might lose some of the later updates.

Other than that, I can't think of any other method than 'biting the bullet' and starting again from scratch.

stevewidg
23rd July 2008, 16:25
Thanks Bill,
Unfortunately Ive made too many changes, in any event XP wont allow me to go back that far, I did try, and I really cant afford 2-3 daysof re-install. Someone else must be as stupid as me!!! What do I do?? I'm sure it can be fixed by playing with regedit, but Ive no idea what files its installed.

bill9399
23rd July 2008, 17:00
last chance saloon.

Use Regedit to search for and delete any and all keys related to Protonide, and Crownhill.

Create a system restore point before doing so.

Then reboot and try installing Proton from scratch.

Programs such as Registry Cleaner do not always remove all keys relating to uninstalled software. Windows uninstall is also guilty of this.

If cleaning the registry in this manner causes problems you can always restore to the setpoint you created.

pverburg
23rd July 2008, 21:02
I'm sure you you have taken all other usb device of the system and just the spark key.

also in the past I have removed all the usb device ie controlers and all out of the device manager, some times a problem if mouse and keyboard are usb :(

then let it rebuild it self make sure that only the non working item is connected.

has worked for me many times.

Paul V.

stevewidg
23rd July 2008, 21:26
Thanks guys, but seems like problem may not be the Spark.I can get it to be recognised. What I cant do is install the software, it just hangs at the end. I think i was doing 2+2 =5 as it says dont install key till after finishing I assumed that was problem, but maybe ive got a corrupted CD. I've emailed Lester and sure he will sort, sorry for talking up your time.
Steve

pverburg
23rd July 2008, 21:37
That has come up a couple of times if I remember.
Normally some antivirus was the cause of that ???? I recall the same problem but can't remember the answer maybe try installing more then ones ???

or copy the whole cd on to the hd and run it from there ??

Paul V.

See_Mos
24th July 2008, 08:22
That last suggestion will prove if it is the CD or not!

stevewidg
24th July 2008, 14:25
Thanks for all the suggestions, still not working. I tried booting in 'safe' mode to totally eliminate ( I think ) antivirus etc. Exactly same . The Crownhill bit seems to install, it say installation succesful press finish, etc, but no entry at all for the Proton stuff, and again screen just hangs. Terminating the process under task manager still leaves splash screen up. I did try transferring over to HD, exactly same. I have PDEV310 on disc, that is suppossed to install IDE as well isnt it? It could be that there is something wrong with my PC but it has succesfully installed Solidworks, Pulsonix, OpenOffice, picoscope, Visual Studio, Mplab and Pickit to name but a few.
I cant remember the last time I had this much aggrevation installing a simple piece of software, maybe DOS or CPM, though Win3.0 could be troublesome.
Can the Proton IDE be loaded some other way? I really am running out of ime I can spend on this.

Lester
24th July 2008, 14:42
Ok, i sent you a direct email re the USB key, but it seems that the issue is not the key at all.

If the installer hangs after the first stage ( installation of the compiler) and the second stage (installation of the IDE). In my exoierience this has always been an issue ralated to antivirus.

The AV sees the installer spawn a new app and halts the app from running.

You must check and be 100% sure that you have no part of the AV running if its stopping the installation.

If you really think that the installation CD is faulty, please conatct me with your address and i'll arrange for a new one to be sent to you....though I dont believe that the CDROM is the issue.

stevewidg
29th July 2008, 19:36
Hello all, feel like I must apologise, as I finally tracked problem down, though I have absolutely no idea how it did what it did. Basically I had a dodgy driver (for USB fingerprint reader) though why that wasnt totally disabled in safe mode I've no idea. Re-installing driver, and Proton installed itself first time. I should have learnt by now that windoze is most likely cause of all things bewildering.
Thanks for everybodies efforts in trying to help me.
Steve

moonshadow
15th August 2008, 18:57
I bought a new lap top this morning with Vista installed. The Sparkey driver seems to work because the dongle lights up, but Proton cannot 'see' the dongle and gives the error message "The dynamic link library SPARKEY.DLL could not be found in the specified path". The dongle works OK on my desk top computer. I am running Proton version 3.1.0.9. I had exactly the same error loading Proton lite, even though it does not use a dongle.

Any ideas please ?.

John

moonshadow
16th August 2008, 19:51
I got an invitation to do a presentation for the county council next week. so i went out and bought a new lap top for the presentation and put eight months work onto it. Of course it had Vista installed, but after a few hours I had all of the software loaded and hardware connected up and working .... except the Sparkey dongle. At this point I have to say that the full version of Proton and the dongle works great on my XP based desk top. The Lite version also runs on the same computer well.

The Sparkey also appears to work on the new lap top ... at least it flashes in the right places but both full and Lite versions of Proton give the same warning .... "The dynamic link library SPARKEY.DLL could not be found in the specified path."

There are no conflicts showing in System and the symptons remain the same with all othe working USB devices removed. The 'operating' system is Vista home premium. Yes have deleted and reloaded many times.

I am coming to the conclusion that I had best turn the presentation into a comedy act .... at least I cannot be fired .... because I ain't been hired !. I wonder what kind of jokes would go down well with school governors and bean counters ...... maybe the one about the little kid with a squashed frog in his little blue trolley, with red wheels .... that went clack ... clack ... clack as he pulled his little trolly up the worn stone steps of the town's house of ill repute .... and tolled the bell rope ......

moonshadow
16th August 2008, 19:55
I got an invitation to do a presentation for the county council next week. so I went out and bought a new lap top for the presentation and put eight months work onto it. Of course it had Vista installed, but after a few hours I had all of the software loaded and hardware connected up and working .... except the Sparkey dongle. At this point I have to say that the full version of Proton and the dongle works great on my XP based desk top. The Lite version also runs on the same computer well.

The Sparkey also appears to work on the new lap top ... at least it flashes in the right places but both full and Lite versions of Proton give the same warning .... "The dynamic link library SPARKEY.DLL could not be found in the specified path."

There are no conflicts showing in System and the symptons remain the same with all othe working USB devices removed. The 'operating' system is Vista home premium. Yes have deleted and reloaded many times.

I am coming to the conclusion that I had best turn the presentation into a comedy act .... at least I cannot be fired .... because I ain't been hired !. I wonder what kind of jokes would go down well with school governors and bean counters ...... maybe the one about the little nervous but determined young kid, with a squashed frog in his little blue trolley, with red wheels .... that went clack ... clack ... clack as he pulled his little trolly up the worn stone steps of the town's house of ill repute .... and tolled the bell rope ......

moonshadow
16th August 2008, 20:09
Oh, I forgot to mention that the presentation is about the educational and corrective training applications of ...... Proton Plus :eek:

stevewidg
17th August 2008, 18:01
Sorry Moonshadow, that doesnt sound like the problem I had at all. You might be better of starting a new thread, or asking lester for support. All I do know is I dont trust any form of windoze, and especially not Vista which I gave up on due to lack of compatibility with my existing software. Perhaps you can install on a 'proper' ( XP) laptop for presentation, and sort out later.
Good Luck
Stevewidg

moonshadow
17th August 2008, 21:12
Thanks anyway ... John

wastrix
27th August 2008, 09:26
you say the error was that sparkey.dll cannot be found at the specified path. What is the specified path? I have a sparkey.dll in my c:\windows folder. I have attached my copy of sparkey.dll, in case yours is corrupted or missing. If this is some form of piracy, please tell me so i can remove it right away
Sorry if I'm too late...

moonshadow
27th August 2008, 11:43
Thanks a lot for your help. I have brain damage and cannot remember what I did, if anything to solve the problem on the desk top computer. I bought a laptop to demonstrate my project and Proton, and it works OK on that .... well I hope so, because I have a presentation to do in an hours time Hi!.:eek:

AlanR
27th August 2008, 20:54
I just bought a laptop with Vista on and I had a problem running Proton.

Fixed it by:
Downloading the latest sparkey drivers from the link on this forum.
Running Proton in administrator mode by right clicking the shortcut.
Disabling UAC in the user accounts settings.

Everything worked fine after this process.

Alan

moonshadow
27th August 2008, 21:22
Yes, I remember now, I had to switch off the UAC and all fault symptoms disappeared. Before that, when a compile was attempted the UAC detected that another application was trying to run and stopped it. Part of the problem was that the complete computer hung up and stayed that way even after a re-start .... and no warnings were visible on the hung up screen. I had the same problem with Proton Lite even though it does not use a dongle. It was simply the UAC detecting the compile again and stopping it.

It was rather comical because I only bought the laptop a day or so before I had to make a presentation ..... and I didn't even know the UAC existed until later.

wastrix
2nd September 2008, 00:46
Typical, UAC screwing things up, the best option is to disable it.